Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Somewhat OT - advice on John Deere Sabre tractor battery install

Bought this older tractor last fall and it worked fine. Removed the battery for the winter, and wanted to reinstall.
When I looked at the install spot, for the life of me I couldn't recall if this was a standard negative ground. My first tractor - previous cars and motorbikes were all negative ground, but when I tried to find a manual or specific indication online, the verbiage said "if you have a model with negative ground...", so I was leery of installing wrong.
Can anyone confirm?
Tnx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/14, 10:32 PM, gwandsh wrote:
Bought this older tractor last fall and it worked fine. Removed the battery for the winter, and wanted to reinstall.
When I looked at the install spot, for the life of me I couldn't recall if this was a standard negative ground. My first tractor - previous cars and motorbikes were all negative ground, but when I tried to find a manual or specific indication online, the verbiage said "if you have a model with negative ground...", so I was leery of installing wrong.
Can anyone confirm?
Tnx

See pictures at
http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/O...012.html#45230

The cable with the Red cover is Positive +
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Retired" wrote in message
On 4/13/14, 10:32 PM, gwandsh wrote:
Bought this older tractor last fall and it worked fine. Removed the
battery for the winter, and wanted to reinstall.
When I looked at the install spot, for the life of me I couldn't recall
if this was a standard negative ground. My first tractor - previous cars
and motorbikes were all negative ground, but when I tried to find a
manual or specific indication online, the verbiage said "if you have a
model with negative ground...", so I was leery of installing wrong.
Can anyone confirm?
Tnx

See pictures at
http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/O...012.html#45230

The cable with the Red cover is Positive +

Red is positive, black is negative. Easy way to remember it is to think of
"Red Cross", positive will be either red or have a cross + on it or both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:20:49 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

The cable with the Red cover is Positive +

Red is positive, black is negative. Easy way to remember it is to think of
"Red Cross", positive will be either red or have a cross + on it or both.

.... the positive post on the battery is larger in diameter than the
negative post...

IDR ever seeing one any different and don't think there are any
batteries that have the same size post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The cable with the Red cover is Positive +

Red is positive, black is negative. Easy way to remember it is to think of

"Red Cross", positive will be either red or have a cross + on it or both.

... the positive post on the battery is larger in diameter than the

negative post...

IDR ever seeing one any different and don't think there are any

batteries that have the same size post.

Identification of the battery terminals does not seem to be the problem.
He's saying he doesn't know if the tractor is negative ground or positive.
Probably 99% of what's out there is negative ground. But, it depends on
how lucky he feels today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The cable with the Red cover is Positive +

Red is positive, black is negative. Easy way to remember it is to think of
"Red Cross", positive will be either red or have a cross + on it or both.

... the positive post on the battery is larger in diameter than the
negative post...

IDR ever seeing one any different and don't think there are any
batteries that have the same size post.

This battery is a BCI Group U1. Does not use automotive type posts.
Cables have ring lugs. Uses a nut and bolt for attachment to battery
lug. See pic at
http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...ro/mowpro.page

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The cable with the Red cover is Positive +

Red is positive, black is negative. Easy way to remember it is to think of
"Red Cross", positive will be either red or have a cross + on it or both.

... the positive post on the battery is larger in diameter than the
negative post...

IDR ever seeing one any different and don't think there are any
batteries that have the same size post.

This battery is a BCI Group U1. Does not use automotive type posts.
Cables have ring lugs. Uses a nut and bolt for attachment to battery
lug. See pic at
http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...ro/mowpro.page

Okay. From the photo, and I cannot tell, is one bigger than the
other? Suggesting positive +. I agree the best way is to check for
the + sign on the battery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/14 9:32 PM, gwandsh wrote:
Bought this older tractor last fall and it worked fine. Removed the
battery for the winter, and wanted to reinstall. When I looked at the
install spot, for the life of me I couldn't recall if this was a
standard negative ground. My first tractor - previous cars and
motorbikes were all negative ground, but when I tried to find a
manual or specific indication online, the verbiage said "if you have
a model with negative ground...", so I was leery of installing
wrong. Can anyone confirm? Tnx

For what it's worth Jaguar was the last automotive company to
change back in 1969. I think farm tractors changed about when they
switched to 12 volt systems but don't know for sure. It would be back
in the mid 60s. There is a farm forum called yesterday's tractors.
There might be some help there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/16/2014 3:11 PM, Oren wrote:

Okay. From the photo, and I cannot tell, is one bigger than the
other? Suggesting positive +. I agree the best way is to check for
the + sign on the battery.

The bolt lugs are the same best I recall...

The obvious is as you say, check the molded polarity indication on the case.

_But-, there are two U1 case orientations--a U1 case has the positive
terminal on the left looking at it from the direction the terminals are
nearest you. U1 or U1R type battery. U1 will have the positive terminal
on the front left. The U1R(ight) will be on the right oriented the same way.

I don't recall otomh which either of the two JDs here are or the
previous two before altho I believe they're UR.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/13/2014 9:32 PM, gwandsh wrote:
Bought this older tractor last fall and it worked fine. Removed the
battery for the winter, and wanted to reinstall. When I looked at the
install spot, for the life of me I couldn't recall if this was a
standard negative ground. My first tractor - previous cars and
motorbikes were all negative ground, but when I tried to find a
manual or specific indication online, the verbiage said "if you have
a model with negative ground...", so I was leery of installing
wrong. Can anyone confirm?

Mr Deere certainly can if you can't for certain. I'd be more than just
_very_ surprised if it were anything but negative ground, but I never
had a Sabre series...