Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Walk-in-tub

I am looking for information on the pros and cons of getting a walk in
tub. I have 3 Companies coming by next week and I need to know what to
look for and what questions to ask. I know that they take a few minutes
to drain and I can live with that.
Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2014 8:09 PM, Chuck wrote:
I am looking for information on the pros and cons of getting a walk in
tub. I have 3 Companies coming by next week and I need to know what to
look for and what questions to ask. I know that they take a few minutes
to drain and I can live with that.
Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

Expensive to buy. They need a lot of water and time to fill. they need
time to drain.

I took the tub out and put in a shower base. The shower is 32 x 60 and
has a handheld spray and rain shower head. Plenty of room to but a
bench too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:09:28 PM UTC-8, Chuck wrote:
I am looking for information on the pros and cons of getting a walk in

tub. I have 3 Companies coming by next week and I need to know what to

look for and what questions to ask. I know that they take a few minutes

to drain and I can live with that.

Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

Have an ambulance standing by for the heart attack when they tell you the cost.

My sister says they told her $12,000. I find that hard to believe but when the ads start offering $1,000 off you know it is high priced goods.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 21:30:25 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

Have an ambulance standing by for the heart attack when they tell you the cost.

My sister says they told her $12,000. I find that hard to believe but when the ads start offering $1,000 off you know it is high priced goods.

Harry K

When I asked at the plumbing supply house, they told me the cost of
just the tub starts at about $4500. That is just for the tub, no
installation or plumbing.

I just finished a rather nice bathroom renovation for $10,000
including ceramic tile on most of the walls, dual shower heads, top of
the line real wood vanity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

Have an ambulance standing by for the heart attack when they tell you the cost.

My sister says they told her $12,000. I find that hard to believe but when the ads start offering $1,000 off you know it is high priced goods.

Harry K

When I asked at the plumbing supply house, they told me the cost of
just the tub starts at about $4500. That is just for the tub, no
installation or plumbing.

I just finished a rather nice bathroom renovation for $10,000
including ceramic tile on most of the walls, dual shower heads, top of
the line real wood vanity.

Do they fill with more water than a tub? More weight on a smaller area?
Structural considerations?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:09:28 PM UTC-6, Chuck wrote:
I am looking for information on the pros and cons of getting a walk in tub. I have 3 Companies coming by next week and I need to know what to look for and what questions to ask. I know that they take a few minutes to drain and I can live with that. Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of? --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com

I would worry about the weight factor if the tub volume is greater than the volume of the present bathtub it is going to replace. Water gets heavy real fast when you use gallons of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:09:28 -0500, Chuck wrote:

I am looking for information on the pros and cons of getting a walk in
tub. I have 3 Companies coming by next week and I need to know what to
look for and what questions to ask. I know that they take a few minutes
to drain and I can live with that.
Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

What others have said.

Now, if this tub is for medical reasons, speak to your doctor and ask
if a prescription can be written for you.

My wife had to have hip surgery years ago ( not a hip replacement)

She needed therapy every day for some time. Based on that (?) he wrote
a prescription. We bought an above ground spa for her.

The cost became a medical tax deduction. I'd consult with the doctor
and check that possibility.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Chuck" wrote in message
I am looking for information on the pros and cons of getting a walk in
tub. I have 3 Companies coming by next week and I need to know what to
look for and what questions to ask. I know that they take a few minutes to
drain and I can live with that.
Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

Remember that you have to sit in the tub with no clothes on while it fills
and then again while it drains, you may catch a chill sitting there all wet.

They must have to change the plumbing to fit the new tub shape, do they get
plumbing permits and inspections? Or, do they just jury rig it to get it
done fast.

Do they have to cut any joists in order to move the plumbing? Do they get a
building inspector to approve the structural changes?

I have seen the TV ads, while they are selling walk in tubs they seem to be
selling renovations instead as you cannot just drop a tub in without changes
to the room.

Do they want payment up front before they even start the work? What stops
them from doing a crappy job once they have your money.

You may need a bigger water heater or a large tank-less to supply enough hot
water -- this will probably be part of their sales pitch. Remember, if you
rent your water heater, you may have a penalty to pay if you allow a
different company to change the heater to a new larger one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om,
EXT wrote:

You may need a bigger water heater or a large tank-less to supply enough hot
water -- this will probably be part of their sales pitch. Remember, if you
rent your water heater, you may have a penalty to pay if you allow a
different company to change the heater to a new larger one.

Rent your water heater? I've never heard of it. Where is it practiced?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2014 2:42 PM, EXT wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

Many good points so far. I will keep all of the info I have received and
will let you know what I decide and why. Thank you one and all. Chuck

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 20:59:53 GMT, (Cindy Hamilton)
wrote:

Rent your water heater? I've never heard of it. Where is it practiced?

Cindy Hamilton

http://awhr.com/

It is silly to rent a WH
Posted to alt.home.repair

to bathe and get clean sitting in ones own waste isnt appealing to me;(

look at the ring left when you have drained the tub, that gunk is on your body.

Showers are much better they actually wash off the dirt & crud
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In article om,
EXT wrote:
You may need a bigger water heater or a large tank-less to supply enough hot
water -- this will probably be part of their sales pitch. Remember, if you
rent your water heater, you may have a penalty to pay if you allow a
different company to change the heater to a new larger one.

Rent your water heater? I've never heard of it. Where is it practiced?

Cindy Hamilton

His post is full of misinformation.
You need a bigger water heater than you have to fill a walk-in tub?
You don't have to, and probably no one ever has, filled any tub to the
top unless they didn't expect to get in it. There's a little thing
called water displacement to consider.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2014 5:05 PM, bob haller wrote:
to bathe and get clean sitting in ones own waste isnt appealing to me;(

look at the ring left when you have drained the tub, that gunk is on your body.

Showers are much better they actually wash off the dirt & crud

I tend to agree with you but my wife has RA and she needs the heat and
jets for therapy and can't stand too well in the shower...

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:14:35 -0500, Chuck wrote:

I tend to agree with you but my wife has RA and she needs the heat and
jets for therapy and can't stand too well in the shower...

Earlier I mentioned the doctor and tax deductions. I meant to add,
the doctor wrote a detailed letter, with the explanations as to her
medical needs for hydro-therapy.

Also speak to your tax accountant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2014 6:32 PM, willshak wrote:
His post is full of misinformation.
You need a bigger water heater than you have to fill a walk-in tub?
You don't have to, and probably no one ever has, filled any tub to the
top unless they didn't expect to get in it. There's a little thing
called water displacement to consider.

I'm not sure how one would keep the water into
a walk in tub. The walk in showers I've seen
don't have a very high wall.

So, tell me. Is water displacement a lubricant,
or a spray can?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2014 7:14 PM, Chuck wrote:
I tend to agree with you but my wife has RA and she needs the heat and
jets for therapy and can't stand too well in the shower...

By walk in, do we mean larger than usual, with
stairs or a ladder to get in and out?

Sorry she has Retrograde Amnesia.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:39:54 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

By walk in, do we mean larger than usual, with
stairs or a ladder to get in and out?

Go look at a medical equipment supply store. Get back to us.

Sorry she has Retrograde Amnesia.

Don't be a maroon. You know what the OP meant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

They leak

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

By walk in, do we mean larger than usual, with
stairs or a ladder to get in and out?

Go look at a medical equipment supply store. Get back to us.

Sorry she has Retrograde Amnesia.

Don't be a maroon. You know what the OP meant.

Yeah, but I forgot.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2014 7:14 PM, Chuck wrote:

I tend to agree with you but my wife has RA and she needs the heat and
jets for therapy and can't stand too well in the shower...

No need to stand. There are many seats available. My wife uses one and
with a 3' handrail can easily get up and down. I don't know if the
handheld would be a good enough sub for the water jets, but with the
rainhead there is the potential for plenty of heat.

The big difference for us, my wife could not get down in a tub no matter
how good the jets may be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe Cindy Hamilton meant if you rent your house, there could be problems with the landlord if you replaced the water heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/24/2014 7:14 PM, Chuck wrote:
I tend to agree with you but my wife has RA and she needs the heat and
jets for therapy and can't stand too well in the shower...

By walk in, do we mean larger than usual, with
stairs or a ladder to get in and out?

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Bath...s/N-5yc1vZbz9m

Sorry she has Retrograde Amnesia.

Rheumatoid arthritis

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 20:24:42 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Maybe Cindy Hamilton meant if you rent your house, there could be problems with the landlord if you replaced the water heater.

The Rental Lease, at least in my area, states a landlord is
responsible for appliances / replacement. A tenant should not be
tinkering with them. HVAC, WH, breaks the landlord fixes it.

- the tenant can't just rent a water heater, take action to replace it
themselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:19:17 -0500, Chuck wrote:

On 1/25/2014 6:35 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 18:21:22 -0500, Chuck wrote:

On 1/25/2014 4:34 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 14:15:43 -0500, wrote:

Rheumatoid arthritis

This site wants / offers payments as low as $150 per month.

http://premiercarebathing.com/tv-video-lp-o/?v=150&o=150b&id=30059&num=8006082076

Must be costly to have a payment plan

I guess I will find out next week. I have three Companys coming to give
presentation and price.

If they have a show room, it may be a good idea to visit the store and
have a look-see, before you commit.

Try to let us know what works out for you.

I plan to ask for names and numbers of previous customers then call and
ask their opinion.

Good. Also pay attention to the things a salesman will tell you in
your home. Things like "sign today for a discount, it expires today."
"You must act now"... Catch words meant to pressure one into a fast
sell. High pressure sale tactics - they may act like a used car
salesman.

Always remember to say NO, first! You can always change your mind
later and say YES.

My state has a law that even after purchase for big items, you have
three days to change your mind and void the sale document. Especially
for big items like homes, cars and such.

Don't be afraid for you and the wife to play good cop bad cop. Have a
plan of action ready before hand. G

And also be sure to check the contractor's reputation from your state
contractor's board web site. Do some homework on the companies before
they show up, promising Utopia, Unicorns and Rainbows on a bright and
sparkly day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2014 4:34 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

All good advice. Thanks Oren. I'll keep you in the loop.
Chuck

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/24/2014 6:32 PM, willshak wrote:
His post is full of misinformation.
You need a bigger water heater than you have to fill a walk-in tub?
You don't have to, and probably no one ever has, filled any tub to the
top unless they didn't expect to get in it. There's a little thing
called water displacement to consider.

I'm not sure how one would keep the water into
a walk in tub. The walk in showers I've seen
don't have a very high wall.

So, tell me. Is water displacement a lubricant,
or a spray can?

I don't really know anything about a walk-in tub. I have a drive-through
tub.