Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default walk in wardrobe

We are thinking of using a stud partition wall to create a walk in
wardrobe in a bedroom. It would be approximately 2.7 m long and 1 m
wide. There would be a door at the end (i.e. in the 1 m width). Does
anyone know if permission is required to do such a thing? Also, is it
likely that the weight of the long wall would be sufficient for me to
need to reinforce the joists if they happen to run parallel to the
long wall (I haven't looked yet!)? I've read other threads about the
construction process, but any other advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks to anyone who has the knowledge and time to respond.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"kent" wrote in message
We are thinking of using a stud partition wall to create a walk in
wardrobe in a bedroom. It would be approximately 2.7 m long and 1 m
wide. There would be a door at the end (i.e. in the 1 m width). Does
anyone know if permission is required to do such a thing? Also, is it
likely that the weight of the long wall would be sufficient for me to
need to reinforce the joists if they happen to run parallel to the
long wall (I haven't looked yet!)? I've read other threads about the
construction process, but any other advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks to anyone who has the knowledge and time to respond.

It's in your house inside....Why would you need any permissions?

Sufficient ventilation would be a good idea so your stuff don't go mouldy
etc.

1m? Either you're exceptionally skinny of you are only hanging a few items
in there. Naturally you'll need illumination so perhaps low power low heat
LED lights would suffice to enable you to see the stored clothes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 9:42*pm, "RW" wrote:
"kent" wrote in message

[...]

I read in another thread about having to get permission for a stud
wall because of building regs.

Ventilation is worth a few thoughts. Thanks!

I am interested in your 1m comment. Has anyone else any experience of
this? What would be a minimum acceptable width?

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , RW
writes

"kent" wrote in message
[...]

I've done something similar and would suggest 1.2m as the minimum
internal width, 50cm will be needed for hanging space leaving 70cm for
turn around & reach down room.

I wondered about lighting and ended up with a single pendant in the
middle of the walking space and it works well with an 11W fluorescent
bulb. Even if you put in two then it's still not a lot of heat.

I used a standard 726mm wide panel door and put a mirror on the back,
watch out for the reduction in useful width just by the door.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 10:14*pm, fred wrote:
In article , RW
writes

"kent" wrote in message
[...]

BBC3, ITV2/3/4, channels going to the DOGs- Hide quoted text -

Useful info. Thanks. What about building regs and joist load issues?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, kent
writes
On Aug 4, 10:14*pm, fred wrote:

I've done something similar and would suggest 1.2m as the minimum
internal width, 50cm will be needed for hanging space leaving 70cm for
turn around & reach down room.

I wondered about lighting and ended up with a single pendant in the
middle of the walking space and it works well with an 11W fluorescent
bulb. Even if you put in two then it's still not a lot of heat.

I used a standard 726mm wide panel door and put a mirror on the back,
watch out for the reduction in useful width just by the door.

Useful info. Thanks. What about building regs and joist load issues?

In the scheme of things it really is a minor job and outside building
regs IMO[*]. The loading of this kind of partition is pretty trivial so
no prob.
[*] The electrics for the lights may creep in but you'd be daft to make
an application just for that, just get on with it :-).
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 8:58*pm, Owain wrote:
kent wrote:
We are thinking of using a stud partition wall to create a walk in
wardrobe in a bedroom. *It would be approximately 2.7 m long and 1 m
wide. *There would be a door at the end (i.e. in the 1 m width). *

It would probably be more useful to have doors along the width rather
than at the narrow end. With only 1m wide and nearly 3m long it will be
difficult to reach things at the far end of the 'tunnel' especially when
the cupboard is full of stuff.

Does
anyone know if permission is required to do such a thing?

AFAIK no, as long as you are not creating a new room nor altering the
arrangement of rooms with respect to windows, escape routes etc.

Owain

Useful info. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article
, kent
writes
On Aug 4, 10:14 pm, fred wrote:

I've done something similar and would suggest 1.2m as the minimum
internal width, 50cm will be needed for hanging space leaving 70cm for
turn around & reach down room.

I wondered about lighting and ended up with a single pendant in the
middle of the walking space and it works well with an 11W fluorescent
bulb. Even if you put in two then it's still not a lot of heat.

I used a standard 726mm wide panel door and put a mirror on the back,
watch out for the reduction in useful width just by the door.

Useful info. Thanks. What about building regs and joist load issues?

In the scheme of things it really is a minor job and outside building
regs IMO[*]. The loading of this kind of partition is pretty trivial so
no prob.

Actually not long ago I built a stud partition wall to divide a room
into two - required building control - and one of the issues raised was
just this. I asked a structural engineer to check the loadings as part
of some other work he had to do on the same project, and it emerged that
my joists were indeed lacking, and required reinforcement.

Admittedly my own joists were unusally small I think, and the OP will
probably be fine; nevertheless I have to say that a blanket "no prob" is
the wrong answer!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 07:55:06 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

I asked a structural engineer to check the loadings as part
of some other work he had to do on the same project, and it emerged that
my joists were indeed lacking, and required reinforcement.

Is half the weight not suspended from the floor/loft above?

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 8:58*pm, Owain wrote:
kent wrote:
We are thinking of using a stud partition wall to create a walk in
wardrobe in a bedroom. *It would be approximately 2.7 m long and 1 m
wide. *There would be a door at the end (i.e. in the 1 m width). *

It would probably be more useful to have doors along the width rather
than at the narrow end. With only 1m wide and nearly 3m long it will be
difficult to reach things at the far end of the 'tunnel' especially when
the cupboard is full of stuff.

exactly, if this layout is an optoin I'd put the door half way along
the long side.

If you're not sure what width to make the whole thing, just get
someone to hold up a sheet of something 1m from the wall and try
walking in the space after you've imaginarily hung some clothes up
there. 1m aint enough, unless you're willing to tolerate very cramped
access.

Does
anyone know if permission is required to do such a thing?

AFAIK no, as long as you are not creating a new room nor altering the
arrangement of rooms with respect to windows, escape routes etc.

Owain

no

I'd add one more thing: clothes will be chosen in there, so I'd
consider plenty of lighting and a ful length mirror as musts. Its easy
to put 2 or 3 pendant bulb holders in, which can take any size and
type of bulb, and a mirror on the door - or if you dont want to have
to close the door, the mirror right opposite the door where you go in.

Clothes rail at convenient height, rest of space as shelves is
probably best.

As for joist loading, the weight is trivial. Any 'need' for
reinforcement would be down to the need to meet BR for a new room, and
nothing to do with ensuring the ability of the floor structure to
safely support the new wall. A cupboard isnt a room afaik.

Oh... you could do this:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....=Clothes_Dryer

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster
writes
fred wrote:
In article
,

kent
writes
On Aug 4, 10:14 pm, fred wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I sometimes forget that some posters have houses built to
southern jessie standards :-P

In chunky timber and full fat 12mm PB the op's partition weighs in at
140kg which I'd view as pretty light for a spread load.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Geo
writes

wrote:

I asked a structural engineer to check the loadings as part
of some other work he had to do on the same project, and it emerged that
my joists were indeed lacking, and required reinforcement.

Is half the weight not suspended from the floor/loft above?

Regular shaped partitions are more commonly built flat then raised into
the vertical and fixed. My ceiling plate was just there to keep the
partition in place laterally so in this case all the weight was on the
floor.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 6, 5:49*pm, fred wrote:
In article
,
writesOn Aug 4, 8:58*pm, Owain wrote:
kent wrote:
We are thinking of using a stud partition wall to create a walk in
wardrobe in a bedroom. *It would be approximately 2.7 m long and 1 m
wide. *There would be a door at the end (i.e. in the 1 m width). *

It would probably be more useful to have doors along the width rather
than at the narrow end. With only 1m wide and nearly 3m long it will be
difficult to reach things at the far end of the 'tunnel' especially when
the cupboard is full of stuff.

exactly, if this layout is an optoin I'd put the door half way along
the long side.

I was betting the bedhead would be against the partition.
--
fred

You're right, Fred!

Big Joe walk behind forklift? Gunner Metalworking 13 April 2nd 06 08:12 PM
Converting room to Walk-in-Wardrobe: Any bright ideas? Colin Chaplin UK diy 2 July 13th 05 10:38 PM
How to walk in Attic [email protected] Home Ownership 5 May 10th 05 09:17 PM
Wardrobe locks Graham Jones UK diy 1 January 27th 05 11:41 AM
Walk in showerproblem rf Home Repair 5 December 8th 04 09:50 PM