Posted to alt.home.repair

Default walk-in TUB

My wife and I are both seniors I need a recommendation for a walk-in
tub
Posted to alt.home.repair

Premier have been arround for ages!
wrote in message
My wife and I are both seniors I need a recommendation for a walk-in
tub

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2011 5:59 PM, wrote:
My wife and I are both seniors I need a recommendation for a walk-in
tub

I recommend that you get a walk in tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 8:42*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 3/28/2011 5:59 PM, wrote:

My wife and I are both seniors I need a recommendation for a walk-in
tub

I recommend that you get a walk in tub.

home depot carries them in my store. pricey but i am a shower kinda
person
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
typed:
My wife and I are both seniors I need a recommendation
for a walk-in tub

Not a direct answer to your queston, but ...

I looked at walk-in tubs and they were really too expensive for us. I also
was never able to find any information on, or assurance of, being able to
replace door gaskets in say 5 years down the road. None of the answers, IF I
even got an answer were very satisfactory.

Instead, we opted for a 3' x 4' shower enclosure with seating molded into
it. The lip to step into it is only 3" high so it's not hard to enter/exit.
Then we also put one of those constant-temerature regulators on it so the
washing machine, dishwasher, whatever wouldn't change the temperature of the
water. All you notice is a lessening of the water pressure for that
duration, but the temperature of the water stays where it's set. Love it!
They're fairly pricey too, but we've had it for a couple years now and we
still love it! They do make some that are cheap, both in price and quality
and I'd definitely those and go for the more expensive, thicker ones. Our
particular one was a 5-piece. The only "complex" part of installing it was
making sure the base was properly supported underneath and level along the
edges. We skipped the doors because they're more trouble to clean than
they're worth and curtains are just so much easier to clean & change.

We purchased it at Lowes, but it was a well known brand I forget now. I like
to be touchy-feely with things like that because telling me it's xx "gauge"
doesn't mean a lot to me. You can sure tell the difference in a store
though, even if you then go elsewhere to do the actual purchase. Lowes had
the best price in our case for the one we picked out, and they even beat the
manufacturer's price.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:42:53 -0400, Tony Miklos
wrote:

On 3/28/2011 5:59 PM, wrote:
My wife and I are both seniors I need a recommendation for a walk-in
tub

I recommend that you get a walk in tub.

Hey, you beat me to it. I was going to say that.

My mother was getting old, and I put in a grab-bar for her just
outside the tub, so she was able to step over the side. And she got a
seat so she could sit in the tub, but it occurred to me, what good is
getting into the tub if you can't sit on the bottom, and be
surrrounded by the warm water. That's the relaxation of the whole
thing. If it it were just about sitting down, one can put a stool or
chair in the shower.

My mother was either satisfied or figured there was nothing more she
coudl do, but I'd be interested in a way to sit down in the tub and
then get back up again. When I broke my arm at the wrist two years
ago, I had a hard time getting out of the tub myself. I couldn't
remember how I used to do it. I had to wiggle around on to my knees
first to stand up.

I realized it was a lot easier to get out when the tub was still full
of water, because I was buoyant. My broken arm was the one next to
the wall, which had to twist more than the other to rest on the tub
edge where it met the wall, to push myself up. AFter a few weeks and
my self-designed therapy, it bent enough that I could use it, and 2 or
3 weeks later it was back to the original strength. But it made me
wonder how I will take baths when I'm 20 years older. Like I say, my
mother was 88, and losing weight without trying, but she could still
get over the side into the tub (or maybe not and this whole story wrt
her was really about the shower stall). But what good did it do her.
I never asked because I didn't want to make her feel bad and I hope I
haven't made the op feel bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

My wife and I are both seniors I need a recommendation for a walk-in
tub

I got a question. Is there a safety lock that prevents the door being
opened when there is water in the tub? We're talking about mostly old
people here.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message
In ,
typed:
[...]

While we are in good health , a few years ago we bought a house with two
baths. We had the tub in the master bath removed and a walk in shower
installed. It was costom made out of what I think is called marble. It is
really just some fancy epoxy mix. If my wife wants to soak in a tub, she
can, but about 99% of the time it is a shower for us.
Make sure a grab bar or two are installed. Makes a good place to place a
wash cloth and if you feel like you are falling, it is something to hang on
to.
Also install a soap shelf.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m...
wrote in message

My wife and I are both seniors I need a recommendation for a walk-in
tub

I got a question. Is there a safety lock that prevents the door being
opened when there is water in the tub? We're talking about mostly old
people here.

--

Bill

Uh, about 500# of water keeps the door shut by applying pressure from the
inside. But you knew that, right? If there is more than I'd say a foot of
water in it, it would be impossible for a "normal" person, even an old one
to open it.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com