Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default walk-in TUB

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:42:53 -0400, Tony Miklos
wrote:

On 3/28/2011 5:59 PM, wrote:
My wife and I are both seniors I need a recommendation for a walk-in
tub

I recommend that you get a walk in tub.

Hey, you beat me to it. I was going to say that.

My mother was getting old, and I put in a grab-bar for her just
outside the tub, so she was able to step over the side. And she got a
seat so she could sit in the tub, but it occurred to me, what good is
getting into the tub if you can't sit on the bottom, and be
surrrounded by the warm water. That's the relaxation of the whole
thing. If it it were just about sitting down, one can put a stool or
chair in the shower.

My mother was either satisfied or figured there was nothing more she
coudl do, but I'd be interested in a way to sit down in the tub and
then get back up again. When I broke my arm at the wrist two years
ago, I had a hard time getting out of the tub myself. I couldn't
remember how I used to do it. I had to wiggle around on to my knees
first to stand up.

I realized it was a lot easier to get out when the tub was still full
of water, because I was buoyant. My broken arm was the one next to
the wall, which had to twist more than the other to rest on the tub
edge where it met the wall, to push myself up. AFter a few weeks and
my self-designed therapy, it bent enough that I could use it, and 2 or
3 weeks later it was back to the original strength. But it made me
wonder how I will take baths when I'm 20 years older. Like I say, my
mother was 88, and losing weight without trying, but she could still
get over the side into the tub (or maybe not and this whole story wrt
her was really about the shower stall). But what good did it do her.
I never asked because I didn't want to make her feel bad and I hope I
haven't made the op feel bad.