Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default walk-in TUB

In ,
typed:
My wife and I are both seniors I need a recommendation
for a walk-in tub

Not a direct answer to your queston, but ...

I looked at walk-in tubs and they were really too expensive for us. I also
was never able to find any information on, or assurance of, being able to
replace door gaskets in say 5 years down the road. None of the answers, IF I
even got an answer were very satisfactory.

Instead, we opted for a 3' x 4' shower enclosure with seating molded into
it. The lip to step into it is only 3" high so it's not hard to enter/exit.
Then we also put one of those constant-temerature regulators on it so the
washing machine, dishwasher, whatever wouldn't change the temperature of the
water. All you notice is a lessening of the water pressure for that
duration, but the temperature of the water stays where it's set. Love it!
They're fairly pricey too, but we've had it for a couple years now and we
still love it! They do make some that are cheap, both in price and quality
and I'd definitely those and go for the more expensive, thicker ones. Our
particular one was a 5-piece. The only "complex" part of installing it was
making sure the base was properly supported underneath and level along the
edges. We skipped the doors because they're more trouble to clean than
they're worth and curtains are just so much easier to clean & change.

We purchased it at Lowes, but it was a well known brand I forget now. I like
to be touchy-feely with things like that because telling me it's xx "gauge"
doesn't mean a lot to me. You can sure tell the difference in a store
though, even if you then go elsewhere to do the actual purchase. Lowes had
the best price in our case for the one we picked out, and they even beat the
manufacturer's price.

HTH,

Twayne`