Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wife's car

I mentioned in another thread that my wife had flipped her car over . Turns
out that where it went into the ditch was the end of a concrete culvert that
goes under the highway , and it musta hit pretty hard . We pulled it out and
righted it yesterday , I waited until today to start it , just to be sure
all the fluids had seeped back where they belong . There is no visible
damage to any of the steering parts ... but when the left wheel is straight
the right one is pointing off yonder . I drove it home today , with the
right front ogff in the gravel . Dug the prettiest furrow you ever saw , and
it got *VERY* exciting coming down the still-ice-coated gravel road we live
on .
Car has probably suffered frame/subframe damage , and with the age and
mileage it's pretty likely they'll total it . Bummer , that was a sweet ride
.. 01 Mazda Tribute LX 4WD with almost everything

--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:18:16 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

[...]

Lots of it's Ford cousin available at good prices just about
anywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/10/2014 09:18 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

Ok great...and NOW you will call the ambulance for your wife?
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Well , probably not since she's not seriously hurt . She got more injuries
from slipping and falling on the slick road surface than she got in the
wreck .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/11/2014 06:12 AM, Snag wrote:
hing

Ok great...and NOW you will call the ambulance for your wife?

Well , probably not since she's not seriously hurt . She got more injuries
from slipping and falling on the slick road surface than she got in the
wreck .

Glad she came through ok.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2014 10:18 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear that. I've lost vehicles to wrecks.
No fun, go shopping for another vehicle, and get
the tools and such moved from one to the other.
Heck of a lot of time, and of work.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 01/11/2014 06:12 AM, Snag wrote:
hing

Ok great...and NOW you will call the ambulance for your wife?

Well , probably not since she's not seriously hurt . She got more
injuries
from slipping and falling on the slick road surface than she got in the
wreck .

Glad she came through ok.

Hi,
Tissue damage can cause long term effect. Better put it on the record
with the insurance company. By any chance did her vehicle have winter
tires? I found out some winter tires are good on ice, some are good
in snow. The Finnish Akkapelka winter tire is pretty good on ice.
Pretty expensive tires. We're on Michelin X Ice IIs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 09:48:08 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

philo wrote:
On 01/11/2014 06:12 AM, Snag wrote:
hing

Ok great...and NOW you will call the ambulance for your wife?

Well , probably not since she's not seriously hurt . She got more
injuries
from slipping and falling on the slick road surface than she got in the
wreck .

Glad she came through ok.

Hi,
Tissue damage can cause long term effect. Better put it on the record
with the insurance company. By any chance did her vehicle have winter
tires? I found out some winter tires are good on ice, some are good
in snow. The Finnish Akkapelka winter tire is pretty good on ice.
Pretty expensive tires. We're on Michelin X Ice IIs.

You mean the Nokian Hakkepelitas - or Haks as we used to call them
in the rallye fraternity back in the late seventies.
The old Blue Metzlers were EXCELLENT on ice too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

W deon't usually carry tools in her car . She expects me to maintain it so
that tools are seldom necessary . And I do .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
AFAIK, the Haks are not sold here. The WRG3 is touted as being a tire
specifically designed for North America. They do have a snow rating,
but can also cruise at 149 mph.

And that's important trying to beat the crowd to the ski area!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 08:10:25 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 01/11/2014 06:12 AM, Snag wrote:
hing

Ok great...and NOW you will call the ambulance for your wife?

Well , probably not since she's not seriously hurt . She got more injuries
from slipping and falling on the slick road surface than she got in the
wreck .

Glad she came through ok.

Yes, me too.

Was she able to drive when the wheels were up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 08:10:25 -0600, philo wrote:

On 01/11/2014 06:12 AM, Snag wrote:
hing

Ok great...and NOW you will call the ambulance for your wife?

Well , probably not since she's not seriously hurt . She got
more injuries from slipping and falling on the slick road surface
than she got in the wreck .

Glad she came through ok.

Yes, me too.

Was she able to drive when the wheels were up?

The car has front suspension damage , probably bent the upper strut mount
on the right side . Right wheel is pointed off into the weeds when the left
is straight . I drove it about 1.5 miles from the scene to our place , left
a definite drag mark - and coming down the still-icy gravel road was
interesting , to say the least , as each wheel took turns trying to steer
the car .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 08:30:23 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

micky wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 08:10:25 -0600, philo wrote:

On 01/11/2014 06:12 AM, Snag wrote:
hing

Ok great...and NOW you will call the ambulance for your wife?

Well , probably not since she's not seriously hurt . She got
more injuries from slipping and falling on the slick road surface
than she got in the wreck .

Glad she came through ok.

Yes, me too.

Was she able to drive when the wheels were up?

The car has front suspension damage , probably bent the upper strut mount
on the right side . Right wheel is pointed off into the weeds when the left
is straight . I drove it about 1.5 miles from the scene to our place , left

I was joshing. I meant when the wheels were up and the car was sitting
on its roof.

a definite drag mark - and coming down the still-icy gravel road was
interesting , to say the least , as each wheel took turns trying to steer
the car .

One of the two times I lent my car, the 18-year old ran a stop sign (in
a school zone, though at least it was summer time) and was hit
broadside. After the gas station pulled away the fender, I would drive
but it steered to one side. No other suspension damage did the gas
station or Sears comment on but Sears told me the frame was bent ('65
convertibles probably have weak frames.) and I had heard frames could
not really be straightened. I asked him to align the wheels as good as
he could and I promised not to complain. He took out all the shims in
one place, and maybe added one or two somewhere else. The car drove
straight ahead for years, though one tire kept wearing out. I'm
cautious on snow and water and I never noticed a problem. I think I
was right about the frame, which I did not have straightene, because for
a while the top was very hard to latch, then it was easy, then it was
very hard again, I think because the frame kpt changing.