Senior Member

Default General computer question

Right now I have two separate computers; both Intel Pentium IV's running Windows XP. Both have two PS2 ports; one designated for a PS2 mouse, and the other for a PS2 keyboard. I also have an IOGear KVM switch that has PS2 ports on it. I connect both computer's mouse and keyboard PS2 ports to the KVM switch, and their VGA video ports as well, plug my PS2 mouse and keyboard into the KVM switch (along with the monitor) and I can switch between the two computers just by hitting the Ctrl key on my keyboard twice.

Now, I was thinking I might buy another computer for Boxing Day, but what I am noticing is that few computers nowadays come with PS2 ports for mouse and keyboard. In fact, I looked at one today that had 4 USB ports at the back and two USB ports in front, but no PS2 ports at all.

Now, if I buy that computer, and also buy a USB mouse and USB keyboard, does it matter which USB ports I plug my mouse and keyboard into? Or does it not matter because Plug 'N Play automatically determines what's plugged into each USB port every time I boot up that computer?

Now, I understand that both PS2 and USB are serial ports. I was wondering whether I could continue to use the same mouse and keyboard if I bought two female PS2 to male USB adapters, like this one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

to just plug my PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard into any of the USB ports on the new computer.

Also, I'm being told by tech support at IOGear, that I CAN't use PS2 to USB adapters with my PS2 KVM switch. They say it wouldn't work, but didn't provide any reason. They tell me I need to buy a new KVM switch that uses USB ports for both mouse and keyboard instead of PS2 ports. Can anyone see any way I can use a new computer that doesn't have PS2 ports with a KVM switch that only has PS2 and VGA ports?

Last edited by nestork : December 24th 13 at 04:17 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.ca/USB-PS2-Adapter.../dp/B004UJPY12

to just plug my PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard into any of the USB ports on
the new computer.

Also, I'm being told by tech support at IOGear, that I CAN't use PS2 to
USB adapters with my PS2 KVM switch. They say it wouldn't work, but
didn't provide any reason. They tell me I need to buy a new KVM switch
that uses USB ports for both mouse and keyboard instead of PS2 ports.
Can anyone see any way I can use a new computer that doesn't have PS2
ports with a KVM switch that only has PS2 and VGA ports?

You need to buy either a new kvm or a computer with PS2 ports. Most
"business class" computers still have PS2 connectors. In particular
the Acer VM4630 supports both
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Don't confuse PS2 and USB ports as being the same. They are not.
Different creatures and hardware. Serial ports do not carry power, USB
does though - hence plug and play.

Got a link for each of what you have (KVM) and need (Computer)?

I'm confused
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork presented the following explanation :
[...]

If you have these 2 computers on a network then you might use Maxivista
www.maxivista.com
Then you can use only one Keybord and one mouse although it is handy to
keep the other mouse connected to get out of trouble occasionally.
The keyboard follows the mouse pointer across the 2 screens.

--
John G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 9:56 PM, nestork wrote:
[...]

We own a computer business that supplies systems, software, and service
to government offices, banks, telephone companies, many more types of
businesses and of course individuals and your answer is "NO".

You need to purchase a new KVM switch, mouse, and keyboard. There is a
SLIGHT chance that you could find a new system that would accept PS2
ports but if your current mouse and/or keyboard ever went bad you would
have a hard time finding either with PS2 connectors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 7:56 PM, nestork wrote:
[...]

Depending on the details of your actual configuration, there's another
option.
If your monitor has multiple input ports that you can switch between,
you don't
need the KVM for that.
Or you can use the KVM for video only, but then you'll need access to the
box to switch monitors.
Install a program called "synergy". It can give you seamless mouse
integration over the network for several systems. Don't know the
limit...I've never tried more than four. And the keyboard follows the
mouse.
Downside is that you have to run the main system to use the slave.

There's another program called zonescreen that lets you export your video
output to the display on another machine. Not much experience with that
one.

Not for everybody, but worth a look.

And do you need speakers/audio switched?

There's also VNC that gives you direct GUI screen/keyboard/mouse integration
over the network.
Won't be effective for high bandwidth video, but depending on the
interactivity
you require, it can be useful. I have my linux machine
in a closet accessed via VNC and synergy linking the two windows
machines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 21:52:54 -0800, mike wrote:

There's also VNC that gives you direct GUI screen/keyboard/mouse integration
over the network.

Good answer.

"In computing, Virtual Network Computing (VNC) is a graphical desktop
sharing system that uses the Remote Frame Buffer protocol (RFB) to
remotely control another computer. It transmits the keyboard and mouse
events from one computer to another, relaying the graphical screen
updates back in the other direction, over a network"

A free program is Team Viewer.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 10:20 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 21:52:54 -0800, mike wrote:

There's also VNC that gives you direct GUI screen/keyboard/mouse integration
over the network.

Good answer.

"In computing, Virtual Network Computing (VNC) is a graphical desktop
sharing system that uses the Remote Frame Buffer protocol (RFB) to
remotely control another computer. It transmits the keyboard and mouse
events from one computer to another, relaying the graphical screen
updates back in the other direction, over a network"

A free program is Team Viewer.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Been a few months since I looked at teamviewer.
I believe that even if you don't know what you're doing,
you're likely to be able to make teamviewer work securely
across the internet.

And if you want sound and integrated VOIP/voice chat
that may be your only free option.

There's a tiny windows program called PicoPhone that
works very well for audio chat while running VNC.
It also requires the IP address of the other end,
and open ports on your router.
There used to be a server system to let you connect to
an account, but that may not be alive any more????

The thing I didn't care for was the requirement to have
an account and use their servers to set up the connection.
Yes, it has advantages in a lot of cases.

If you're doing remote access across your local intranet,
I prefer the VNC method of talking directly to the IP address
and keeping the port hidden behind the router. If you want to
connect across the web, you have to open a port on your router
and know the IP address of the remote system. And a VPN tunnel
can make it quite secure.
I never did anything secret or illegal, so that wasn't an advantage
for me.
Requirement to know the IP address is not a problem on your intranet.
Few of us have fixed external (wan)IP addresses on the internet.
How often it changes depends on your provider. I've had the same
one since I set up the account.

I never learned whether teamviewer sends info thru their servers
or just uses them to set up a direct connection. That could make
a big difference for local use.

I like tightVNC as a cross-platform remote access solution.
And there's no reason you can't use either/both when there's
reason to do so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 09:56 PM, nestork wrote:
[...]

The only solution I can think of is this:

It may be a less expensive than purchasing a new KVM switch plus USB
mouse and USB keyboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Note

Your new machine of course must have a free (standard) PCI slot available

Posted to alt.home.repair

PS2 ports are going the way of floppy disks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

Now, if I buy that computer, and also buy a USB mouse and
USB keyboard, does it matter which USB ports I plug my
mouse and keyboard into? Or does it not matter because
Plug 'N Play automatically determines what's plugged into
each USB port every time I boot up that computer?

Any USB slot will do.

My preference is for a wired KB, wireless mouse. Some wireless mice
(mouses?) now come with a really tiny receiver...especially nice on a laptop
since it doesn't stick out.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/13 10:56 pm, nestork wrote:
[...]

I am using a KVM switch that has both PS/2 and USB connectors for
keyboard and mouse, and USB connections to two computers.* I bought it
at MicroCenter more than a decade ago and have no idea of the brand
name, but one of the computers with which I use it identifies it as a
"TangTop," yet I don't know whether any are sold under that name -- I'm
certain that that was not the name under which MicroCenter sold it.

*This enables me to keep using my fully programmable "Gateway 2000"
keyboard which has 12 function keys on the left (which is where they
were intended to be) in addition to the useless ones along the top..

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per nestork:
to just plug my PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard into any of the USB ports on the new computer.

Also, I'm being told by tech support at IOGear, that I CAN't use PS2 to USB adapters with my PS2 KVM switch. They say it wouldn't work...

Some years back, I was where you are now: Multiple PC's and a switch to
jump back-and-forth.

Then I discovered TeamViewer....

It's free, and it does the job: almost instantaneous connection, works
locally or remotely, the connections can be left active so it's just a
matter of switching windows (i.e. even faster that a manual switch)...

As far as I can see, there is just no downside compared to a switch.

The only fly in the ointment so far has been a customer that will not
let me TeamViewer into my PC at their site. Instead, I have to connect
using one of their PCs over VPN... and they don't want TeamViewer on one
of their PCs.

The solution to that has been my existing keyboard/mouse setup: a
"Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1" and a monitor that supports
both DVI and analog inputs.

I can re-plug the single USB connector for the keyboard/mouse just about
as fast as I can flip a switch. For the monitor, I connect my
monitor's DVI port to my PC and it's analog port to the customer's PC.
Takes a couple of seconds to tell the monitor to swap inputs, but it's
livable.

So, for your situation... bottom line.... TeamViewer. It's a
no-brainer as far as I can see.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

KVM switches can be wonky depending on how much you spend for one. I
bought an inexpensive USB KVM switch from Amazon and tried it on the two
Dell mini towers on my roommate's desk. It would only work to switch the
video and sound. I sold it to a customer for use with his HP mini tower
and security system DVR and it switched the the video and keyboard but
the mouse was jerky. He had two mice anyway so it was no problem. I will
try some other KVM switches that cost a bit more and will see how they
work. Amazon has a very good return policy so the risk of getting a
switch that won't work out is minimal. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Welfare TeaBillies with computers. How ironic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

PS2 supplies power as well - not quite as much current as USB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 05:54:28 -0600, philo* wrote:

[...]

The keyboard and mouse don't cost antyhing when you buy a packaged
system as they are included.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 09:16:25 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per nestork:
[...]

The only problem with team viewer and any other "software" solution
is booting the computer if it is on a network or requires entry of a
password or any other keyboard input to boot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 10:29:44 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

Dell and HP - no wonder!!!!

Senior Member

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Both computers are working fine, so there's no rush to do anything.

I like Philo's idea of the PS2 card. I can put one PS2 card in each computer to provide the PS2 ports I need. The only problem is that PS2 mice and keyboards are also going the way of the dinosaur, although I expect that I'll still be able to buy them for years to come.

But, providing PS2 ports in each computer provides for another consideration I failed to mention in my original post. I use one computer for business and the other for all of my activities on the internet. If I ever get a virus on my internet computer, I simply reformat the hard drive and reload Windows XP. I'm wanting to retain that feature so that a) I never have to worry about having to deal with a virus on my business computer, and b) I can quickly and easily deal with viruses on my internet computer by simply reformatting the hard drive and reloading Windows XP.

Thanks again, everyone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 02:03 PM, nestork wrote:
[...]

Your original post lead me to believe you had one machine with PS/2
ports that you were going to keep and just wanted to make the USB-only
machine compatible. ...however if you do go with all PS/2 the keyboards
and mice are going to be around for many years to come.

I have two main computers in my home office and I use a KVM switch.

It is great to have a spare machine that can be used ...in an instant.

One day I turned a machine on and ...pop.... the power supply blew.

Most folks would have panicked...but I just calmly turned on the other
machine and got to work. A day or two later, when I was no longer
rushed...I replaced the PSU.

BTW: Rather than reload Windows in the event of a major problem...since
hard drives are so cheap, why not just clone you drive. It's a good
backup precaution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 11:42 AM, Daring Dufas A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
Welfare TeaBillies with computers. How ironic.

A spawn of the coupling of a human female and a farm animal able to
post to Usenet is astounding. How do you do it Killer Loon? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 14:41:08 -0600, philo* wrote:

[...]

Just image the "sacrificial" computer to an external drice with
easeUS or HD Clone and you can pop the drive back to a "clean install"
with all software installed and configured (and authourized) in about
20 minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 01:42:24 -0800, mike wrote:

I never learned whether teamviewer sends info thru their servers
or just uses them to set up a direct connection. That could make
a big difference for local use.

PDF:

"TeamViewer Sessions
Creation of a Session and Types of Connections
When establishing a session, TeamViewer determines the optimal type of
connection. After the handshake through our master servers, in 70% of
the cases a direct connection via UDP or TCP is established (even
behind standard gateways, NATs and firewalls). The rest of the
connections are routed through our highly redundant router network via
TCP or http-tunnelling. You do not have to open any ports in order to
work with TeamViewer! As later described in the paragraph "Encryption
and Authentication" even we as the operators of the
routing servers cannot read the encrypted data traffic.

Encryption and Authentication
TeamViewer works with a complete encryption based on RSA
public/private key exchange and AES (256Bit) session encoding. This
technology is used in a comparable form for https/SSL and can be
considered completely safe by today's standards. As the private key
never leaves the client computer, it is ensured by this procedure that
interconnected computers - including the TeamViewer routing servers -
cannot decipher the data stream. Each TeamViewer client has already
implemented the public key of the master cluster and can thus
encrypt messages from the masters and check its signature
respectively. The PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) effectively prevents
"Man-in-the-middle-attacks". Despite the encryption the password is
never sent directly but only through a challenge-response procedure
and is only saved on the local computer.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/res/pdf/TeamViewer-Security-Statement-en.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 14:43:16 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/24/2013 11:42 AM, Daring Dufas A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
Welfare TeaBillies with computers. How ironic.

A spawn of the coupling of a human female and a farm animal able to
post to Usenet is astounding. How do you do it Killer Loon? ^_^

You have it backwards. His mommy was a sow.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo*[_2_] View Post
BTW: Rather than reload Windows in the event of a major problem...since
hard drives are so cheap, why not just clone you drive. It's a good
backup precaution.
I think I'm already one step ahead of you.

On my business computer, the program I use to do 99% of my business with (Microsoft Works) and all of the files I use are on a 128 GB solid state drive that plugs in to a USB port on the front of that computer.

So, if anything ever happened to that computer, I could simply plug that drive into my other computer. I'd just have to move the printer cable to my other computer, and I'd be back up and running.

I understand that solid state drives are considerably more reliable than conventional hard drives because they don't have a motor and magnetic platter. They're basically just a huge flash drive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 04:46 PM, nestork wrote:
'philo*[_2_ Wrote:
;3171940']
BTW: Rather than reload Windows in the event of a major problem...since

hard drives are so cheap, why not just clone you drive. It's a good
backup precaution.

I think I'm already one step ahead of you.

On my business computer, the program I use to do 99% of my business with
(Microsoft Works) and all of the files I use are on a 128 GB solid state
drive that plugs in to a USB port on the front of that computer.

So, if anything ever happened to that computer, I could simply plug that
drive into my other computer. I'd just have to move the printer cable
to my other computer, and I'd be back up and running.

I understand that solid state drives are considerably more reliable than
conventional hard drives because they don't have a motor and magnetic
platter. They're basically just a huge flash drive.

I never trust my data to less than three separate HD's.

SSD's are good in that they have no moving parts to wear out but they do
have a limited number of read/ writes.

Right now, the only one I have is on a laptop I rarely use.

The thing is, when an SSD does fail, it can do so with no warning.

With a conventional drive there is usually some type of warning first
such as a SMART error, developing bad sectors or R/W errors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 09:56 PM, nestork wrote:

[snip]

Also, I'm being told by tech support at IOGear, that I CAN't use PS2 to
USB adapters with my PS2 KVM switch. They say it wouldn't work, but
didn't provide any reason.

The little "adapters" that come with some mice are only plug adapters
and don't change protocols (which are very different). They work only if
the mouse (or KVM switch) is capable of operating in either mode.

IIRC, the mouse operates as a PS2 device until it receives the
initialization command sent by a USB controller.

--
1 day until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00 AM
for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby
can't chew it." -- Mark Twain
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 23:46:08 +0100, nestork
wrote:

I understand that solid state drives are considerably more reliable than
conventional hard drives because they don't have a motor and magnetic
platter. They're basically just a huge flash drive.

I've read a little about 'em. The SSD is much faster in read and
wrights and worth having. I will eventually. When they FAIL, it is
sudden, dead, done, put a fork in it.

An HDD may give some warning, like a clicking sound. Get your stuff
off then. Just a matter of time until you can harvest rare earth
magnets and platters from the drive. G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 23:46:08 +0100, nestork
wrote:

'philo*[_2_ Wrote:
;3171940']
BTW: Rather than reload Windows in the event of a major problem...since

hard drives are so cheap, why not just clone you drive. It's a good
backup precaution.

I think I'm already one step ahead of you.

On my business computer, the program I use to do 99% of my business with
(Microsoft Works) and all of the files I use are on a 128 GB solid state
drive that plugs in to a USB port on the front of that computer.

So, if anything ever happened to that computer, I could simply plug that
drive into my other computer. I'd just have to move the printer cable
to my other computer, and I'd be back up and running.

I understand that solid state drives are considerably more reliable than
conventional hard drives because they don't have a motor and magnetic
platter. They're basically just a huge flash drive.

True, but the failure rate of SSDs is still at least as high as a
premium hard drive - likely better than the cheap WDs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 18:01:48 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/24/2013 04:46 PM, nestork wrote:
'philo*[_2_ Wrote:
;3171940']
[...]

I've had as many "hard " failures on hard drives as "soft" failures.
Work perfectly one minute - and totally useless the next.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 18:37:52 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 12/23/2013 09:56 PM, nestork wrote:

[snip]

Also, I'm being told by tech support at IOGear, that I CAN't use PS2 to
USB adapters with my PS2 KVM switch. They say it wouldn't work, but
didn't provide any reason.

The little "adapters" that come with some mice are only plug adapters
and don't change protocols (which are very different). They work only if
the mouse (or KVM switch) is capable of operating in either mode.

No the little adapter that connects a USB mouse to a PS2 port will
connect any PS2 mouse to a USB port - the usb port does the
negotiating.

IIRC, the mouse operates as a PS2 device until it receives the
initialization command sent by a USB controller.

My experience has beeh the mouse doesn't operate AT ALL untill the
USB controller recognizes it and the OS installs the driver/starts the
service. Same with the keyboard

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 19:39:44 -0600, philo* wrote:

The next day I gave the owner of the machine a very severe lecture on
making backups!

How severe was it?