Zimmer

Default More of a general construction question but. . .

This is more of a general construction question but this group always
proves most helpfull.

I am installing pressure treated posts for a railing on an above-ground
deck. Wanted to use cypress but it's just too damn expensive -
13.99/ft for 4x4 here in PA.

The posts will have a half lap milled and then be attached to the rim
joist, or what some call the header joists, around the perimeter of the
deck. The problem I have is that the decking material is waterproof
aluminum tongue and groove and slopes from the center of the deck to
each edge to allow for drainage. Therefore water will be draining
towards, and into the posts. What would the group recommend applying
to the interior of the half lap joint to "delay" decay. My first
thought was a petroleum based roofing tar product similar to what is
applied to below grade concrete block and then a bead of silicone
around the base of the post.

Anyone have alternative solutions or experiences?

Thanks,
Dave

Drew Morton

"Zimmer" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is more of a general construction question but this group always
proves most helpfull.

I am installing pressure treated posts for a railing on an above-ground
deck. Wanted to use cypress but it's just too damn expensive -
13.99/ft for 4x4 here in PA.

*snip*

depending on where you are in PA, theres a place called A and A Lumber
Supply Co. in Avondale, PA. Lower SE corner of PA, almost in Delaware. I
bought some cypress there a year or 2 ago, and paid something like $1.09 for
4/4 cypress. They specialize in it. Its not dried, but for your purpose,
might work. They had all sizes, and would probably have what you are
looking for.

Thier phone # is 610-268-3128.

The usual disclaimers apply.

Drew

Leon

Maybe a steel post similar to the corner posts for chain link fence and then
trim it with wood to hide it.

Lew Hodgett

Zimmer wrote:

snip
My first
thought was a petroleum based roofing tar product similar to what is
applied to below grade concrete block and then a bead of silicone
around the base of the post.

Anyone have alternative solutions or experiences?

I'm being a little bit of a smart ass but do you have access to locust
posts?

Also known as Ironwood in some parts of the country.

Those posts will still be in the ground when the rest of the house turns
into compost.

BTW, there is a reason it is known as ironwood.

First time you try to cut a piece you'll know whyG.

Been there, done that.

Lew
John Grossbohlin

"Zimmer" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'd explore flashing the posts with aluminum to divert the runoff
around/over the posts.

Assuming the posts stop at or below the tops of the rim joist: Once the rim
joist and posts are in place flash over the top of the rim joist and post
and put a little kick-out on the flashing to form a drip edge that diverts
the water from the post.

Assuming the posts extend beyond the rim joist to form railing supports: A
three sided flashing that goes around the post, over the top of the rim
joist, and down over the top of the post, again with the kick-out, should do
the trick.

John

JuanKnighter

Your building supply yard has a brush on product especially for cut ends of
treated lumber.

Chipper Wood

Have you considered the artificial redwood/plastic decking materials? Now
includes posts and railings as well as decking including 4X4s.

--
Chipper Wood
useoursatyahoodotcom

oups.com...

Construction Loan Terri Home Ownership 2 November 1st 04 06:13 PM
Appraisal, refinance, and "under construction" question DanceRat Home Ownership 2 April 19th 04 09:01 PM