Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default General plumbing question

I am running 1/2" copper lines in a crawl space to a double sink I am
installing... My question is this... Is there a "general height" at which
the 1/2" lines come out the wall....I am thinking about a foot off the floor
should be good. Is there a general rule of thumb? Also in saving elbows my
hot water side will come through the gyprock on the right hand side instead
of the left...should that really matter? I personally don't think so..
Thoughts?
Thanks... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
I am running 1/2" copper lines in a crawl space to a double sink I am
installing... My question is this... Is there a "general height" at which
the 1/2" lines come out the wall....I am thinking about a foot off the
floor should be good. Is there a general rule of thumb? Also in saving
elbows my hot water side will come through the gyprock on the right hand
side instead of the left...should that really matter? I personally don't
think so.. Thoughts?
Thanks... Jim

If you have the bathroom cabinet, best to place it up against where it will
go and see where the best place for the pipes will be. If you are too
accurate with where the drain comes out of the wall, it might come right out
where a drain from a sink is coming down for example.

Or a valve might get in the way of a drawer. Or be too high and hard to get
to with a wrench once the cabinet is in place, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
I am running 1/2" copper lines in a crawl space to a double sink
I am installing... My question is this... Is there a "general height"
at which the 1/2" lines come out the wall....I am thinking about a
foot off the floor should be good. Is there a general rule of thumb? Also in
saving elbows my hot water side will come through the gyprock
on the right hand side instead of the left...should that really
matter? I personally don't think so.. Thoughts?
Thanks... Jim

Saving elbows??? Are you serious? You are talking about your house plumbing.
What can an elbow or two cost?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Saving elbows??? Are you serious? You are talking about your house plumbing.
What can an elbow or two cost?

With today's copper prices, probably $1.45, then there is the frictional
flow / pressure losses...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 3:29*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
* * *I am running 1/2" copper lines in a crawl space to a double sink I am
installing... My question is this... Is there a "general height" at which
the 1/2" lines come out the wall....I am thinking about a foot off the floor
should be good. Is there a general rule of thumb? *Also in saving elbows my
hot water side will come through the gyprock on the right hand side instead
of the left...should that really matter? I personally don't think so..
Thoughts?
*Thanks... Jim

Jim-

Do the job right....hot on the left / cold on the right.

Supply lines come out of the wall at about the same height as the
drain.

Too high makes access to them (hidden by the sink) more difficult,
too low and they're behind all the stuff in the cabinet.

A foot is kinda low...I'd do them at 16" to 18"....maybe even 20".
Check the vanity for a good fit.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:29:54 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Also in saving elbows my
hot water side will come through the gyprock on the right hand side instead
of the left...should that really matter? I personally don't think so..

Face the opposite direction and you should be fine.

Thoughts?
Thanks... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 8:29*pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:29:54 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
*Also in saving elbows my
hot water side will come through the gyprock on the right hand side instead
of the left...should that really matter? I personally don't think so..

Face the opposite direction and you should be fine.

Thoughts?
Thanks... Jim- Hide quoted text -

If you use flexible hoses from the shutoof to the faucet, it's not
critical which side they come out. afoot above the vanity floor is
probably 16 or so inches above the room floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Completely WRONG information here.

Soundhaspriority wrote:

Each elbow reduces your water pressure by 10%. 10 elbows = no water
pressure.

Robert Morein
Dresher, PA
(310) 237-6511
(215) 646-4894

Posted to alt.home.repair

Soundhaspriority wrote:

Each elbow reduces your water pressure by 10%. *10 elbows = no water
pressure.

Robert Morein
Dresher, PA
(310) 237-6511

Even if that WAS true!!!!!

Mathematically ...................

1 divided by 1.1 (to represent a reduction of 10%) ten times = 0.39 or
roughly 40% of the original amount.

OR: If you wish,

1 multiplied by 0.9 (10% percent reduction each time/elbow) ten times
= 0.35 or roughly 35% of the original!
In other words 90% of 90% of 90% etc. etc.

Not ten times 10% = 100%.

To put it another way; suppose one had $100 and told your ten
relatives that you would give the first one you met 10% of the 100,
that person would get ten dollars. The next one you met you would give
10% of the remaining $90, or $9. The next would get 10% of the
remaining $81, or $8.10 etc. etc. After the tenth relative there would
be $34.86 left over?

Or have I missed something?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Soundhaspriority wrote:

[...]

The pressure won't be lower unless there is water flow!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

First, go to the store and see how long are the flex tubes
from the shutoff to the sink. That will make some of the
decision.

I'd want the hot on the left, just cause it's standard.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
el...
I am running 1/2" copper lines in a crawl space to a
double sink I am
installing... My question is this... Is there a "general
height" at which
the 1/2" lines come out the wall....I am thinking about a
foot off the floor
should be good. Is there a general rule of thumb? Also in
saving elbows my
hot water side will come through the gyprock on the right
hand side instead
of the left...should that really matter? I personally don't
think so..
Thoughts?
Thanks... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Haz he got won thing wright, Yett?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Soundhaspriority wrote:

Each elbow reduces your water pressure by 10%. 10 elbows
= no water
pressure.

Robert Morein
Dresher, PA
(310) 237-6511
(215) 646-4894

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
First, go to the store and see how long are the flex tubes
from the shutoff to the sink. That will make some of the
decision.

I'd want the hot on the left, just cause it's standard.

And you don't want the next buyer of the house to question the while plumbing
system?

Wonder if the inspector would say anything about this?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

[...]

Yes.

I almost have two doctorates from Drexel University in Engineering.

I'll have to remember to hold that against any job applicants with
degrees from there.