Posted to alt.home.repair

Default General Permit Question

I live in a rural area. Very rural. There is a county building inspector,
and permits are required for new construction on structures for human
habitation.

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and such
from dwellings? When does it become an issue to go and get a permit? When
you have a foundation? When you add electric or plumbing? I want to make a
pole barn, and to cover some work areas. I know this will vary greatly from
location to location, but are there any standard rules that apply across the
board?

I know the local inspector, and will speak to him. Just wanted to ask here
in advance to get some input. I want to tapdance inside the lines and avoid
things getting complicated.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and such
from dwellings?

In my location, it's when you add a kitchen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In my area, it is the size of the outbuilding which determines if a permit
is required or not. Basically a "shed" does not. Larger does. Then pretty
much any new electrical work, etc.

The general idea is any work done which could cause injury to people if not
done right or could cause loss of property due to fire, flood, etc.

Is that beam the right size to support the structure even during a high
wind?

Is that electrical work done in a safe manner so no one in your family will
be electrocuted?

Is that plumbing done right so methane gas from the sewer does not vent to
the inside of the house?

Etc.

It is a good idea to get a building permit even if one is not required. Then
you get an expert double checking your work for safety. And the fee is not
too much as it would be to hire such an expert.

"SteveB" wrote in message
I live in a rural area. Very rural. There is a county building inspector,
and permits are required for new construction on structures for human
habitation.

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and such
from dwellings? When does it become an issue to go and get a permit?
When you have a foundation? When you add electric or plumbing? I want to
make a pole barn, and to cover some work areas. I know this will vary
greatly from location to location, but are there any standard rules that
apply across the board?

I know the local inspector, and will speak to him. Just wanted to ask
here in advance to get some input. I want to tapdance inside the lines
and avoid things getting complicated.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 9:17 am, "SteveB" wrote:

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and such
from dwellings? When does it become an issue to go and get a permit?

In my area, the square footage of the structure determines whether you
need a permit. In another area it was whether or not the building had
a foundation. A shed sitting on blocks was considered temporary - on
poured concrete it was permanent.

It's probably different everywhere. The people at the planning office
are usually very helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and such
from dwellings? When does it become an issue to go and get a permit?
When you have a foundation? When you add electric or plumbing? I want to
make a pole barn, and to cover some work areas. I know this will vary
greatly from location to location, but are there any standard rules that
apply across the board?
Steve

In my area, it is 100 sq ft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I live in a rural area. Very rural. There is a county building
inspector, and permits are required for new construction on structures
for human habitation.

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and
such from dwellings? When does it become an issue to go and get a
permit? When you have a foundation? When you add electric or
plumbing? I want to make a pole barn, and to cover some work areas.
I know this will vary greatly from location to location, but are there
any standard rules that apply across the board?

It really varies from area to area. Here in Clark County, Washington, we
need a permit anytime the value of labor/materials is over $1500 or for
detached buildings (sheds) that are over 120 sq feet. A permit is needed
for all electrical and plumbing work.

You may want to check and see if your local building department has a web
site. Ours has a permit FAQ at:
www.clark.wa.gov/commdev/building/faqN.html. Otherwise, you should be able
to get the info you need with a quick call to the building department.

As for a pole barn, we don't need permits for those here as long as they
are for agricultural use only. Last time I was at the inspection office,
they even had free plans for pole barns. But if you park your cars or RV's
in the "barn", it's no longer considered agricultural and you probably need
a permit (based on size and value, I'm sure).

Take care,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

SteveB wrote:
I live in a rural area. Very rural. There is a county building inspector,
and permits are required for new construction on structures for human
habitation.

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and such
from dwellings? When does it become an issue to go and get a permit? When
you have a foundation? When you add electric or plumbing? I want to make a
pole barn, and to cover some work areas. I know this will vary greatly from
location to location, but are there any standard rules that apply across the
board?

It depends entirely on the wording of the local ordinance adopted.
They'll be more than happy to tell you or you could go get a copy of the
rules and read them for yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 1/9/2008 9:17 AM SteveB said the following:
I live in a rural area. Very rural. There is a county building inspector,
and permits are required for new construction on structures for human
habitation.

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and such
from dwellings? When does it become an issue to go and get a permit? When
you have a foundation? When you add electric or plumbing? I want to make a
pole barn, and to cover some work areas. I know this will vary greatly from
location to location, but are there any standard rules that apply across the
board?

I know the local inspector, and will speak to him. Just wanted to ask here
in advance to get some input. I want to tapdance inside the lines and avoid
things getting complicated.

Steve

In my area, any building or fence requires a permit. There are setbacks
for all. When I installed a pool, the setback for the fence was 6", now
it is 3'.
A shed less than 12' x 16' has to be at least 10' from the prop line.
Anything larger has to be 30' from the line.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have found that if you want to "tapdance inside the lines" then it's best
to not even ask. Just do it. BUT you have to be very aware of traffic on
your road, visibility of the project, where the county employees live, (do
they drive past your place everyday) etc etc.

AT worst, they usually will just stop the work until a permit is obtained,
and charge you twice what the normal would be. But, your area may be
different.

"SteveB" wrote in message
I live in a rural area. Very rural. There is a county building inspector,
and permits are required for new construction on structures for human
habitation.

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and such
from dwellings? When does it become an issue to go and get a permit?
When you have a foundation? When you add electric or plumbing? I want to
make a pole barn, and to cover some work areas. I know this will vary
greatly from location to location, but are there any standard rules that
apply across the board?

I know the local inspector, and will speak to him. Just wanted to ask
here in advance to get some input. I want to tapdance inside the lines
and avoid things getting complicated.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

As for a pole barn, we don't need permits for those here as long as
they are for agricultural use only. Last time I was at the inspection
office, they even had free plans for pole barns. But if you park your
cars or RV's in the "barn", it's no longer considered agricultural
and you probably need a permit

Who would know what you parked where?

I'm just relaying what the building department told me...

Obviously, you could build the pole barn for "agricultural" purposes, and
park your vehicles in the "barn" after it's built. Just be aware the permit
requirement may be based on the "intended" use.

We built a small house with two bedrooms and a home office. It even says so
on our plans. But to the building department (and taxes) it's a three
bedroom house. Even though there's no closet of any kind in the third
"bedroom". Though obviously, we could move out the desk and put a bed in
there at a future date.

So, your building department may view things differently than you do...

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HerHusband" wrote in message
[...]

After looking through all the county building ordinances online, there is an
exemption for
"recreational" structures. Since the purpose of one of these structures
will be for astronomy and ornithology, it may slide through the loophole. I
may even put one side of it for climbing that the kids like to do. But,
yes, I will check with the local inspector. He's handling our addition
right now, and has been very helpful. He's retiring from county wide in a
couple of weeks, and then will only do our little town. He'll be more than
able to steer me clearly through this.

Steve