Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default General Permit Question

I have found that if you want to "tapdance inside the lines" then it's best
to not even ask. Just do it. BUT you have to be very aware of traffic on
your road, visibility of the project, where the county employees live, (do
they drive past your place everyday) etc etc.

AT worst, they usually will just stop the work until a permit is obtained,
and charge you twice what the normal would be. But, your area may be
different.

"SteveB" wrote in message
I live in a rural area. Very rural. There is a county building inspector,
and permits are required for new construction on structures for human
habitation.

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and such
from dwellings? When does it become an issue to go and get a permit?
When you have a foundation? When you add electric or plumbing? I want to
make a pole barn, and to cover some work areas. I know this will vary
greatly from location to location, but are there any standard rules that
apply across the board?

I know the local inspector, and will speak to him. Just wanted to ask
here in advance to get some input. I want to tapdance inside the lines
and avoid things getting complicated.

Steve