Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default General Permit Question

on 1/9/2008 9:17 AM SteveB said the following:
I live in a rural area. Very rural. There is a county building inspector,
and permits are required for new construction on structures for human
habitation.

Where is the line that separates outbuildings, sheds, pole barns and such
from dwellings? When does it become an issue to go and get a permit? When
you have a foundation? When you add electric or plumbing? I want to make a
pole barn, and to cover some work areas. I know this will vary greatly from
location to location, but are there any standard rules that apply across the
board?

I know the local inspector, and will speak to him. Just wanted to ask here
in advance to get some input. I want to tapdance inside the lines and avoid
things getting complicated.

Steve

In my area, any building or fence requires a permit. There are setbacks
for all. When I installed a pool, the setback for the fence was 6", now
it is 3'.
A shed less than 12' x 16' has to be at least 10' from the prop line.
Anything larger has to be 30' from the line.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY