Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default General computer question

On 12/23/2013 7:56 PM, nestork wrote:
Right now I have two separate computers; both Intel Pentium IV's running
Windows XP. Both have two PS2 ports; one designated for a PS2 mouse,
and the other for a PS2 keyboard. I also have an IOGear KVM switch that
has PS2 ports on it. I connect both computer's mouse and keyboard PS2
ports to the KVM switch, and their VGA video ports as well, plug my PS2
mouse and keyboard into the KVM switch (along with the monitor) and I
can switch between the two computers just by hitting the Ctrl key on my
keyboard twice.

Now, I was thinking I might buy another computer for Boxing Day, but
what I am noticing is that few computers nowadays come with PS2 ports
for mouse and keyboard. In fact, I looked at one today that had 4 USB
ports at the back and two USB ports in front, but no PS2 ports at all.

Now, if I buy that computer, and also buy a USB mouse and USB keyboard,
does it matter which USB ports I plug my mouse and keyboard into? Or
does it not matter because Plug 'N Play automatically determines what's
plugged into each USB port every time I boot up that computer?

Now, I understand that both PS2 and USB are serial ports. I was
wondering whether I could continue to use the same mouse and keyboard if
I bought two female PS2 to male USB adapters, like this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/USB-PS2-Adapter.../dp/B004UJPY12

to just plug my PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard into any of the USB ports on
the new computer.

Also, I'm being told by tech support at IOGear, that I CAN't use PS2 to
USB adapters with my PS2 KVM switch. They say it wouldn't work, but
didn't provide any reason. They tell me I need to buy a new KVM switch
that uses USB ports for both mouse and keyboard instead of PS2 ports.
Can anyone see any way I can use a new computer that doesn't have PS2
ports with a KVM switch that only has PS2 and VGA ports?

Depending on the details of your actual configuration, there's another
option.
If your monitor has multiple input ports that you can switch between,
you don't
need the KVM for that.
Or you can use the KVM for video only, but then you'll need access to the
box to switch monitors.
Install a program called "synergy". It can give you seamless mouse
integration over the network for several systems. Don't know the
limit...I've never tried more than four. And the keyboard follows the
mouse.
Downside is that you have to run the main system to use the slave.

There's another program called zonescreen that lets you export your video
output to the display on another machine. Not much experience with that
one.

Not for everybody, but worth a look.

And do you need speakers/audio switched?

There's also VNC that gives you direct GUI screen/keyboard/mouse integration
over the network.
Won't be effective for high bandwidth video, but depending on the
interactivity
you require, it can be useful. I have my linux machine
in a closet accessed via VNC and synergy linking the two windows
machines.