Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default General computer question

On 12/24/2013 07:23 PM, wrote:

I never trust my data to less than three separate HD's.

SSD's are good in that they have no moving parts to wear out but they do
have a limited number of read/ writes.

Right now, the only one I have is on a laptop I rarely use.

The thing is, when an SSD does fail, it can do so with no warning.

With a conventional drive there is usually some type of warning first
such as a SMART error, developing bad sectors or R/W errors.

I've had as many "hard " failures on hard drives as "soft" failures.
Work perfectly one minute - and totally useless the next.

Only once have I gotten on my bench a standard HD that went into
instant failure mode.

I lucked out and found an SMT cap. with a cracked solder joint and
repaired it.

The next day I gave the owner of the machine a very severe lecture on
making backups!