Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace BTU (and old technology)

Thanks for good thoughts. I spent most of May in the hospital then the
doctors sent me home to die and I was put into home hospice care. At
1:00am July first I woke up with breathing trouble thinking I had thrown
up in my sleep and aspirated some vomit. So I went to the bathroom and
coughed and coughed then back to sit on the bed and when my breathing
got worse I yelled for my roommate to help me and hook up the oxygen
cylinder which I had never used. The regulator wouldn't seal so high
pressure oxygen spewed everywhere. That's when I told roommate to dial
911, by the time paramedics got there I was drowning in my own body
fluids due to a sudden onset of pulmonary edema. In the emergency room,
I told them they should stick in a catheter and start draining me. I
couldn't lie down because it felt like I was drowning so they shot me
full of Lasix, my kidneys kicked into overdrive and voluminous amounts
of urine started draining through the catheter into a big bag. When I
could breathe again I was sent to intensive care for a few days then to
a regular room for another several days then home after 5 days in the
hospital. I've spent more time in the hospital this year than I have in
my whole life. I was dropped from hospice because I wasn't declining and
my nurse would scold me for getting out and trying to work. I still
live in pain but at least I know I'm not going to drop dead no matter
how much certain Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks wish for
it to happen. ^_^

TDD

I wonder if we might do a reality show about the man
who refused to die? TDD: The man who Declined to Die.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 8:44 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I thought I wrote that I was dropped from hospice care in October. My
nurse told me I wasn't dying fast enough, in fact I wasn't declining at
all but improving. I was sent home from the hospital to die but I'm too
damned ornery. I even shipped back the 32 thousand dollar external
defibrillator unit that I had been wearing. I still take a handful of
pills twice a day. I can't take NSAIDS because of kidney problems so I
must put up with painful swollen joints, chronic pain is a real drag. I
do appreciate the good thoughts though. Now I'm worried about Sandy
because she has a skin problem. o_O

TDD

Yes, you did write that the hospice expelled you,
for bad behaviour. Aparently, you had about as
much compatibility with Hospice as you do with
parochial Catholic Schoolag.

You sent back the defib unit that the tax payers
bought you? I bet they were shocked.

Hope the vet can help Sandy's skin problem.
Dermo-Vet-Ologist? Vetroderm?

In NYS, we keep being subjected to commercials for
something called Dinovite, or Dynovite. Food suppliment
for dogs that helps with itching.

My hospice nurse was like my little sister. We were sad to part company
and I miss her weekly visits. I'll have to call her and wish her and the
gals who work for the hospice care clinic a Merry Christmas. They miss
me too. I have Dinovite that I mix with Sandy's food and I actually
slip a generic Benadryl into a treat for her in order to help her with
the itching. I have to bathe her with a special shampoo for her skin
then something for the fleas. The critter has burrowed under her own
comforter on the floor next to me because I won't let her in my lap when
I'm trying to type. Is it a real dog when you can pick up an adult
specimen with one hand? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 9:13 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

It might be fun, I was told I would die and I refused to do so. I didn't
sink into depression and give up like a lot of folks do and that's why I
think I'm still here. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace BTU

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 01:11:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/22/2013 12:07 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 23:01:40 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/21/2013 1:37 PM, micky wrote:
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 14:02:50 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:28:48 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 23:37:46 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 22:32:10 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 22:22:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 12/19/2013 2:17 AM, gregz wrote:
Today's furnace specify btu. Is that input or output
?

Greg

Input. Figure the output by multiplying by the
efficienct rating.

Is that true for oil furnace, too?

Yes.

Or maybe the question is, Was that true for oil furnaces
35 years ago, too?

Yes. It was stated as such, on mine. As others have
stated, it can't be anything else. There are too many
variables to state the heat output.

Well, my furnace is a Carrier model 58HV085

And in the owners manual, it says Ratings, Input (1000 Btuh)
106 Output (1000Btuh) 85

So it not only rates the output, it named the model of
furnace after the output.

I went shopping for a new oil furnace, but the brochures
they gave me didn't show if they rate them by input or output
or both now, of if the model number reflects either number.

(HV means it's an upflow furnace, and 58 is the series, a
group of furnaces including downflow, upflow, loboy, etc of
variious sizes, a total of 18 models, all of which are named
after their rated output)

Plus the blueprints for the house, which I got fromt he
architect, have 85,000 (or maybe 85,000 btu) hand-written
in big numbers at an agle on them.

It was installed 34 years and a few months ago, and when
shopping for a new furnace, I have to be careful NOT to buy
one with 85,000 input, which won't give as much output as I
have now.

Here's the spec sheet for all of them. The info starts at
page 3.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...it/58h-5si.pdf

Even Carrier can't repeal the laws of physics. The only thing they
have control over is the input (and that, only to the degree
that specifications are followed). The output (efficiency) is
left to age and those maintaining the system.

True, but nonetheless, that's how this 34 year old oil furnace
was rated, and named. I guess they changed but I don't know
when.

Hmmm. Have they changed that much? I see that currently Carrier
names its gas furnaces by the maximum effficiency they can
deliver, Comfort 80, Comfort 92, and Comfort 95, model names for
80, 92, 95% efficiency. and it's probably no coincidence that
model 59SC5, ending in 5, iis the one that they say is up to 95%
efficient. And 59SC2, ending in 2, is the one they say is up to
92%.

Not all of them are exaclly like that. Performance 90 (not 92)
goes up to 92.1% they say, but its model number is 59SP2, ending
in 2. to represent 92%. .
http://www.carrier.com/homecomfort/e...ling/furnaces/

And in oil furnaces, Performance 80 ranges they say gp from 85.7 to
86.6% eff. but they are all called Perf. *80*. The model
numbers have no numbers, only letters.

I havent' found the btu ratings, but I wouldn't be surprised if
they have a rating for output, despite its dependance on age and
maintenance. They'll say they're just rating it when it's new.

Oil heat for a home is a foreign concept for us down South because
NG or LP are the most common fuels burned for heating homes. Of
course there are heat pumps with a backup that can either be
electric resistant heat or a fuel burning furnace, then there are
wood or other solid fuel burning sources of heat.

Nat gas isn't available in much of the NE and LP is exceedingly
expensive. Oil is there, now, too. We had oil-fired hot-water heat
in our NY and VT houses. The latter we converted to Nat Gas as soon
as we could (the gas company gave us a deal we couldn't refuse).

Many very old homes have coal burning furnaces that have been
converted to NG but they're not as efficient as more modern forced
air systems. We call the old coal burners, "Octopus" heaters
because there is no blower, the furnace in the basement has large
ducts coming out looking like a tree or octopus and the heated air
flows by convection. The old homes have a coal chute from outside
to the basement and when I've serviced some of the old coal
furnaces converted to natural gas, there is often still coal in the
coal chute. ^_^

Sure, though not that not all "octopi" were coal-fired. There were
also gas and oil-fired gravity fed hot-air systems. Their
efficiency sucked so went away some time back (at least by the end of
the '50s).

All the old octopus furnaces I've ever seen were former coal burners
converted to natural gas. Here in Alabamastan, coal has always been
plentiful. The city of Birmingham is young compared to other cities
but it's been around since the mid 19th century when everything ran on
coal plus, Birmingham was "The Steel City" with a lot of steel mills.
During that era, coal was everywhere and the infrastructure for coal
distribution was well established. If I remember right, folks even had
coal fired stoves for cooking. ^_^

When I lived in NY, several of my coworkers were *installing* coal
furnaces. Oil was going "sky high" ($1/gal) and they were looking for
a cheap heat. NO THANKS! What a mess.

In VT, several had outdoor wood boilers. They were out in the boonies
(Vermont *is* the boonies, so the boonies is *really* rural) because
neighbors would have lynched them otherwise. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 16:29:36 -0500, Stormin Mormon

On 12/22/2013 9:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Fuels are regional. My part of the world has
more firewood. W. Virginia has more coal. Still,
simple is good.

Think of the old simple cars people are trashing. An EMP will make all
the vehicles with engine control computers, even modern diesels, useless
so the only thing that will run will be things like that old 57 Ford
pickup under all that junk in the barn. Simple is good in some hopeless
situations. ^_^

TDD

After the government takes all the guns, I've still
got my claw hammer. And my old bicycle that I rode in
high school.

Is it licensed? Have you had it's head print taken?

Posted to alt.home.repair

A country boy can survive. Amazing how folks from "the sticks" can adapt
to any situation. It may not be pretty and shinny but it will work. ^_^

TDD

I heard of a couple country boys, living off grid.
Finally figured out hot water. Cut the bottom off
a gas WH, and set it up on blocks outside. Kindle
a fire under it, to heat the water. Pipes and hoses
to bring the hot water indoors. Showers on, now!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

My hospice nurse was like my little sister. We were sad to part company
and I miss her weekly visits. I'll have to call her and wish her and the
gals who work for the hospice care clinic a Merry Christmas. They miss
me too. I have Dinovite that I mix with Sandy's food and I actually
slip a generic Benadryl into a treat for her in order to help her with
the itching. I have to bathe her with a special shampoo for her skin
then something for the fleas. The critter has burrowed under her own
comforter on the floor next to me because I won't let her in my lap when
I'm trying to type. Is it a real dog when you can pick up an adult
specimen with one hand? ^_^

TDD

Does it bark, or meow?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 18:40:03 -0500, Stormin Mormon

A country boy can survive. Amazing how folks from "the sticks" can adapt
to any situation. It may not be pretty and shinny but it will work. ^_^

TDD

I heard of a couple country boys, living off grid.
Finally figured out hot water. Cut the bottom off
a gas WH, and set it up on blocks outside. Kindle
a fire under it, to heat the water. Pipes and hoses
to bring the hot water indoors. Showers on, now!

I don't know. There's all that insulation to heat the water through.

Seems to me it's better to take the cooling water from the still,
after it's been warmed by the hot alcohol vapor, and use that to wash
with, if you actually have to wash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 9:44 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, you did write that the hospice expelled you,
for bad behaviour. Aparently, you had about as
much compatibility with Hospice as you do with
parochial Catholic Schoolag.

Hey, watch your mouth. I detect a hint of sarcasm there. Twelve years
of Catholic School made me the man I am today. You may already know I
have never told a lie as a result. Honest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 5:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A country boy can survive. Amazing how folks from "the sticks" can
adapt to any situation. It may not be pretty and shinny but it will
work. ^_^

TDD

I heard of a couple country boys, living off grid. Finally figured
out hot water. Cut the bottom off a gas WH, and set it up on blocks
outside. Kindle a fire under it, to heat the water. Pipes and hoses
to bring the hot water indoors. Showers on, now!

Isn't it very expensive to burn Kindles? I would hope they were damaged
returns to Amazon. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 5:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My hospice nurse was like my little sister. We were sad to part company
and I miss her weekly visits. I'll have to call her and wish her and the
gals who work for the hospice care clinic a Merry Christmas. They miss
me too. I have Dinovite that I mix with Sandy's food and I actually
slip a generic Benadryl into a treat for her in order to help her with
the itching. I have to bathe her with a special shampoo for her skin
then something for the fleas. The critter has burrowed under her own
comforter on the floor next to me because I won't let her in my lap when
I'm trying to type. Is it a real dog when you can pick up an adult
specimen with one hand? ^_^

TDD

Does it bark, or meow?

My mail and package handling service owner has a cat that's bigger than
Sandy. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2013 8:14 PM, micky wrote:
I heard of a couple country boys, living off grid.
Finally figured out hot water. Cut the bottom off
a gas WH, and set it up on blocks outside. Kindle
a fire under it, to heat the water. Pipes and hoses
to bring the hot water indoors. Showers on, now!

I don't know. There's all that insulation to heat the water through.

Seems to me it's better to take the cooling water from the still,
after it's been warmed by the hot alcohol vapor, and use that to wash
with, if you actually have to wash.

Thu fahr waz jus wear de burner would ha
bin, so ain got much insulllayshun in
buh tween the fahr an de watter.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 06:00:43 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/23/2013 8:14 PM, micky wrote:
I heard of a couple country boys, living off grid.
Finally figured out hot water. Cut the bottom off
a gas WH, and set it up on blocks outside. Kindle

You did say gas. Me and my pappy got usn a new-fangled lektrik
watereater.

a fire under it, to heat the water. Pipes and hoses
to bring the hot water indoors. Showers on, now!

I don't know. There's all that insulation to heat the water through.

Seems to me it's better to take the cooling water from the still,
after it's been warmed by the hot alcohol vapor, and use that to wash
with, if you actually have to wash.

Thu fahr waz jus wear de burner would ha
bin, so ain got much insulllayshun in
buh tween the fahr an de watter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 00:13:38 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like my LITTLE cat was bigger than Sandy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/23/2013 8:14 PM, micky wrote:
I heard of a couple country boys, living off grid.
Finally figured out hot water. Cut the bottom off
a gas WH, and set it up on blocks outside. Kindle

You did say gas. Me and my pappy got usn a new-fangled lektrik
watereater.

Lektrik do take a bit mur werk. Kut all dem
sheet metals hoff.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I figured out a way to weigh her which involves me weighing myself first
on my digital scale then stepping on the scale while holding her then
subtracting the previous reading. Basically using me as the tare weight.
My problem is that I'm often not steady enough on my feet to stand
absolutely still on the scale which causes an error reading. The end of
my thumb and her little paw is about the same size. Such a goofy little
critter. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I figured out a way to weigh her which involves me weighing myself first
on my digital scale then stepping on the scale while holding her then
subtracting the previous reading. Basically using me as the tare weight.
My problem is that I'm often not steady enough on my feet to stand
absolutely still on the scale which causes an error reading. The end of
my thumb and her little paw is about the same size. Such a goofy little
critter. ^_^

TDD

Doesn't the vet provide that info?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My big cat was about 18 lbs - the little one was about 6 1/2 at age 13
Posted to alt.home.repair

How in **** is someone going to know that? I've never seen a thermostat with statistics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 6:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I figured out a way to weigh her which involves me weighing myself
first on my digital scale then stepping on the scale while holding
her then subtracting the previous reading. Basically using me as
the tare weight. My problem is that I'm often not steady enough on
my feet to stand absolutely still on the scale which causes an
error reading. The end of my thumb and her little paw is about the
same size. Such a goofy little critter. ^_^

TDD

Doesn't the vet provide that info?

If I'm able to get her over there. I haven't gotten my van back yet to
take her over there. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I figured out a way to weigh her which involves me weighing myself
first on my digital scale then stepping on the scale while holding
her then subtracting the previous reading. Basically using me as
TDD

Doesn't the vet provide that info?

If I'm able to get her over there. I haven't gotten my van back yet to
take her over there. o_O

TDD

Might one of your neighbors have a kitchen scale
of the right weight range? I've got a refrigerant
scale that does zero to 75 pounds. No, I won't loan
it to you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 10:32 PM, Daring Dufas TeaBillie on welfare wrote:
How in **** is someone going to know that? I've never seen a thermostat with statistics.

No idea what you are referring to, but one of my 'stats has statistics
on run time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 19:32:24 -0800 (PST), Daring Dufas TeaBillie on
welfare wrote:

How in **** is someone going to know that? I've never seen a thermostat with statistics.

Then you have not seen many thermostats. Virtually any "smart"
thermostat can tell you what your daily and accumulated usage is. Mine
tells me today, yesterday, and seasonal total.
If you don't have a "smart" thermostat, just connect a clock to the
furnace - it runs when the furnace runs, giving you total run time.
You either record the time every morning, or reset the clock.
Definitely NOT rocket science.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 09:35:30 -0500, Stormin Mormon

I figured out a way to weigh her which involves me weighing myself
first on my digital scale then stepping on the scale while holding
her then subtracting the previous reading. Basically using me as
TDD

Doesn't the vet provide that info?

If I'm able to get her over there. I haven't gotten my van back yet to
take her over there. o_O

TDD

Might one of your neighbors have a kitchen scale
of the right weight range? I've got a refrigerant
scale that does zero to 75 pounds. No, I won't loan
it to you.

For Sandy he could almost use a postal scale
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:17:00 AM UTC-6, Gz wrote:
Today's furnace specify btu. Is that input or output ? Greg

I haven't pursued getting a "modern" furnace because I have neighbors who have put in newer furnaces and have had all sorts of problems with them. As an electrical engineer, I love to try new technology, but I have to say that I will keep this furnace for as long as it holds out since there is nothing electronic to go wrong when there is are nearby lightning strikes or power surges, both of which have taken out neighbors furnaces more than once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 07:04:37 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/24/2013 6:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I figured out a way to weigh her which involves me weighing myself
first on my digital scale then stepping on the scale while holding
her then subtracting the previous reading. Basically using me as
the tare weight. My problem is that I'm often not steady enough on
my feet to stand absolutely still on the scale which causes an
error reading. The end of my thumb and her little paw is about the
same size. Such a goofy little critter. ^_^

TDD

Doesn't the vet provide that info?

If I'm able to get her over there. I haven't gotten my van back yet to
take her over there. o_O

Maybe you could weight the van, and then weight the van with your dog
inside, and take the difference.

Or if not, when a visitor comes over, he could hold the dog and stand
on the scale.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 08:48:45 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:17:00 AM UTC-6, Gz wrote:
Today's furnace specify btu. Is that input or output ? Greg

I haven't pursued getting a "modern" furnace because I have neighbors who have put in newer furnaces and have had all sorts of problems with them. As an electrical engineer, I love to try new technology, but I have to say that I will keep this furnace for as long as it holds out since there is nothing electronic to go wrong when there is are nearby lightning strikes or power surges, both of which have taken out neighbors furnaces more than once.

I'd have though that an electrical engineer would have the solution
for that.

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
run my oil forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from rusting clickclack Home Repair 7 July 7th 06 10:55 PM
Thick accordion-type furnace filters - can I retrofit furnace for standard? bryanska Home Ownership 1 August 9th 05 09:24 PM
Replacing gas furnace (was New Gas Furnace Time) [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 18th 05 09:31 PM
Replacing gas furnace (was New Gas Furnace Time) [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 18th 05 09:31 PM