Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace BTU

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:17:41 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/23/2013 10:33 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 01:11:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

********************I Be Dun Trim Da Phat********************

All the old octopus furnaces I've ever seen were former coal burners
converted to natural gas. Here in Alabamastan, coal has always been
plentiful. The city of Birmingham is young compared to other cities
but it's been around since the mid 19th century when everything ran on
coal plus, Birmingham was "The Steel City" with a lot of steel mills.
During that era, coal was everywhere and the infrastructure for coal
distribution was well established. If I remember right, folks even had
coal fired stoves for cooking. ^_^

When I lived in NY, several of my coworkers were *installing* coal
furnaces. Oil was going "sky high" ($1/gal) and they were looking for
a cheap heat. NO THANKS! What a mess.

In VT, several had outdoor wood boilers. They were out in the boonies
(Vermont *is* the boonies, so the boonies is *really* rural) because
neighbors would have lynched them otherwise. ;-)

A country boy can survive. Amazing how folks from "the sticks" can adapt
to any situation. It may not be pretty and shinny but it will work. ^_^

Outdoor wood boilers are really disgusting smokers. I wouldn't want
one in the house next to me, either.