Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas plastic, got water in it

A couple days ago, it snowed. I went to go start
my Dad's (RIP) snow blower. Ran for half second,
and would not start. The gas in the fuel tank is
a bit milky looking. And the gas plastic (I
refuse to call it a gas CAN as it's not metal)
might have water, not sure.

The gas plastic, the spout has a snap on cap, but
it was not capped. Stored in the garage, so rain
isn't issue. Does the new gasohol suck humidity
out of the air?

I know I need to drain the gasoline, and go buy
new gas. What to do with the old gasoline?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

yep water in gas, the alochol in gasoline sucks up moisture....

dump old gas out, and move on. for 2 cycle engines stores sell alcohol free gas in cans
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 10:06 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A couple days ago, it snowed. I went to go start
my Dad's (RIP) snow blower. Ran for half second,
and would not start. The gas in the fuel tank is
a bit milky looking. And the gas plastic (I
refuse to call it a gas CAN as it's not metal)
might have water, not sure.

The gas plastic, the spout has a snap on cap, but
it was not capped. Stored in the garage, so rain
isn't issue. Does the new gasohol suck humidity
out of the air?

I know I need to drain the gasoline, and go buy
new gas. What to do with the old gasoline?

Pour it on the ground (that's where it came from)
Use it to start something on fire. (bon fire)
Mix it slowly with good gas. Put a little of it in you car gas tank.
nuf said

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 10:34 AM, Chuck wrote:

I know I need to drain the gasoline, and go buy
new gas. What to do with the old gasoline?

Pour it on the ground (that's where it came from)
Use it to start something on fire. (bon fire)
Mix it slowly with good gas. Put a little of it in you car gas tank.
nuf said

I did the gas on the ground thing, while working
on a lawn mower. The grass didn't grow back for a
couple years. Bonfire is more my style. Break it
down to carbon dioxide and water vapor, and let the
ecosystem recycle it.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 09:34 AM, Chuck wrote:
On 12/18/2013 10:06 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A couple days ago, it snowed. I went to go start
my Dad's (RIP) snow blower. Ran for half second,
and would not start. The gas in the fuel tank is
a bit milky looking. And the gas plastic (I
refuse to call it a gas CAN as it's not metal)
might have water, not sure.

The gas plastic, the spout has a snap on cap, but
it was not capped. Stored in the garage, so rain
isn't issue. Does the new gasohol suck humidity
out of the air?

I know I need to drain the gasoline, and go buy
new gas. What to do with the old gasoline?

Pour it on the ground (that's where it came from)
Use it to start something on fire. (bon fire)
Mix it slowly with good gas. Put a little of it in you car gas tank.
nuf said

\

No...do not pour it on the ground or put it in your gas tank.

The fire-starter suggestion is ok

or

Get a box of kitty litter and pour it in there to allow it to harmlessly
evaporate.

Best to turn it in to your towns hazardous chemical disposal if your
town has one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 10:31 AM, bob haller wrote:
yep water in gas, the alochol in gasoline sucks up moisture....

dump old gas out, and move on. for 2 cycle engines stores sell alcohol free gas in cans

A friend of mine has outdoor fires, once in a
while. He's agreed to dispose safely, the old
gas. Now to get permission from Mom, and go
there and drain the snow blower. It's tank
on top, so I'd have to remove the fuel line,
drain the tank. Remove the bowl, drain the
carb. Station about five miles away sells
alcohol free high octane. Buy some gas.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 10:45 AM, philo wrote:
No...do not pour it on the ground or put it in your gas tank.

The fire-starter suggestion is ok

or

Get a box of kitty litter and pour it in there to allow it to harmlessly
evaporate.

Best to turn it in to your towns hazardous chemical disposal if your
town has one.

Wonder if any of the nearby FD would take it
for use in their fire drills? A friend of
mine has a burn pile out back, he can use it
as fire lighter.

Dad's got three gas cans. I'd bet all three are
full of water. Sigh.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 9:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/18/2013 10:45 AM, philo wrote:
No...do not pour it on the ground or put it in your gas tank.

The fire-starter suggestion is ok

or

Get a box of kitty litter and pour it in there to allow it to harmlessly
evaporate.

Best to turn it in to your towns hazardous chemical disposal if your
town has one.

Wonder if any of the nearby FD would take it
for use in their fire drills? A friend of
mine has a burn pile out back, he can use it
as fire lighter.

Dad's got three gas cans. I'd bet all three are
full of water. Sigh.

One could try some gas stabilizer and mix old gasoline with fresh
gasoline. 25/75 old to new. Drain blower tank into suitable
container and re-purpose, or filter and put back into old storage
container.

I would mix with enough powdered Tide, or similar, and make some
gooey flammable stuff to have fun with.

In the future, find a fuel source that does not have methanol or
similar grain alcohol. That crap is a joke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 11:37 AM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

One could try some gas stabilizer and mix old gasoline with fresh
gasoline. 25/75 old to new. Drain blower tank into suitable
container and re-purpose, or filter and put back into old storage
container.

I would mix with enough powdered Tide, or similar, and make some
gooey flammable stuff to have fun with.

In the future, find a fuel source that does not have methanol or
similar grain alcohol. That crap is a joke.

Ah, the old gooey flammable stuff. Send it to
Ireland, for their outdoor sports?

Just called Mom, asked is this a good time to come
fix Dad's snow blower. No, she got the snow plow
guy to do the walks also, and the snow blower is
no longer needed. I spent a bunch of time working
on preps, tools, planning. And one more ## thing got
cancelled out from under me. I'm not ammused.

Don't tell her I said that.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
[...]

Over a year ago after fighting my baby tiller and paying for service, I
learned that in Canada, Shell premium gas is alcohol free, and works like a
dream in my small engines. The baby Honda tiller won't run properly on
regular fuel but starts and runs on the premium grade, so that is all that I
buy for all my small engines. It is worth the extra cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:34:59 AM UTC-8, Chuck wrote:
On 12/18/2013 10:06 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A couple days ago, it snowed. I went to go start

my Dad's (RIP) snow blower. Ran for half second,

and would not start. The gas in the fuel tank is

a bit milky looking. And the gas plastic (I

refuse to call it a gas CAN as it's not metal)

might have water, not sure.

The gas plastic, the spout has a snap on cap, but

it was not capped. Stored in the garage, so rain

isn't issue. Does the new gasohol suck humidity

out of the air?

I know I need to drain the gasoline, and go buy

new gas. What to do with the old gasoline?

Pour it on the ground (that's where it came from)

Use it to start something on fire. (bon fire)

Mix it slowly with good gas. Put a little of it in you car gas tank.

nuf said

---

Or let it set out on a cold, cold night. Next day put the gas in the truck and and dump out the ice . That's what I did when I picked up the can one day and heard "rattle".

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:40:27 AM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

That's ok. You'll get another shot at it the next time they need the blower

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

So you'll (she'll) let the snowblower sit there in a non-working condition
until when? Until it's needed because the plow guy got sick or quit or
majorly delayed because of a lake effect blizzard?

If it's not needed, ask her if you can sell it. If she says "No, we might
need it in an emergency" then tell it should be fixed now when it's not an
emergency situation. If she says "Yes, you can sell it" then tell her it
should be fixed now because she'll get a much higher price for a machine
that starts when the potential buyer comes to look at it.

You know, now that I think about, I don't think I'd have to ask my mom if I
could come over to fix something. Not only would she welcome the company
and the assistance, she probably cook me a fine meal while I was working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 12:51 PM, EXT wrote:

Over a year ago after fighting my baby tiller and paying for service, I
learned that in Canada, Shell premium gas is alcohol free, and works
like a dream in my small engines. The baby Honda tiller won't run
properly on regular fuel but starts and runs on the premium grade, so
that is all that I buy for all my small engines. It is worth the extra
cost.

I talked to my sister on the phone, today. She seems to
think that Dad only bought ethanol free gas for the
gascans, and machines. Supposedly the one station had
gasoline in regular and premium. I'll ask them some
time. Might be he bought 87 gasohol, thinking it was
gasoline. Several stations near me have 91 octane
gasoline.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 4:44 PM, Harry K wrote:

Or let it set out on a cold, cold night. Next day put the gas in the truck and and dump out the ice . That's what I did when I picked up the can one day and heard "rattle".

Harry K

Never heard that one, but it makes sense.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 4:46 PM, Harry K wrote:

That's ok. You'll get another shot at it the next time they need the blower

Harry K

Yes, about 10 degrees, blowing snow, and
solid chunk of gasowaterohol in the tank.

"But you said you could fix it?"

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 8:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/18/2013 12:51 PM, EXT wrote:

Over a year ago after fighting my baby tiller and paying for service, I
learned that in Canada, Shell premium gas is alcohol free, and works
like a dream in my small engines. The baby Honda tiller won't run
properly on regular fuel but starts and runs on the premium grade, so
that is all that I buy for all my small engines. It is worth the extra
cost.

I talked to my sister on the phone, today. She seems to
think that Dad only bought ethanol free gas for the
gascans, and machines. Supposedly the one station had
gasoline in regular and premium. I'll ask them some
time. Might be he bought 87 gasohol, thinking it was
gasoline. Several stations near me have 91 octane
gasoline.

Regardless, don't waste money on the 91 octane. Detonation is not
a problem, here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 10:05 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:
I talked to my sister on the phone, today. She seems to
think that Dad only bought ethanol free gas for the
gascans, and machines. Supposedly the one station had
gasoline in regular and premium. I'll ask them some
time. Might be he bought 87 gasohol, thinking it was
gasoline. Several stations near me have 91 octane
gasoline.

Regardless, don't waste money on the 91 octane. Detonation is not
a problem, here.

I may find out that the station Dad was using has gasohol 87, and
gasoline 91. Which will change the future buying habits for snow blower
and lawn mower fuels.
--
..
Christopher A. Young