Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Harbor Freight Point of Sale System Down

This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally
long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very quiet.

The Point of Sale system was down. They said it was down at all stores
and it had been down since Friday. They were writing up bills of sale by
hand, and using a calculator to calculate 25% discounts, sales tax, and
totals. I wanted to tell the cashier that she could multiply by 0.75 and
that she didn't have to multiply the price by 0.25 and then store that
and then subtract that amount from the full price, but the last time I
tried to explain that to a cashier at CVS she insisted that it wouldn't
be right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 1:34 AM, SMS wrote:
This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally
long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very quiet.

The Point of Sale system was down. They said it was down at all stores
and it had been down since Friday. They were writing up bills of sale by
hand, and using a calculator to calculate 25% discounts, sales tax, and
totals. I wanted to tell the cashier that she could multiply by 0.75 and
that she didn't have to multiply the price by 0.25 and then store that
and then subtract that amount from the full price, but the last time I
tried to explain that to a cashier at CVS she insisted that it wouldn't
be right.

I've actually done work on some of the Harbor Freight store computer
systems when they were upgrading the digital communications gear. I
think we hooked up a T1 for them but I'd have to search the work orders
to see exactly what was done. The kids who run the registers are
helpless when the system goes down. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 2:34:13 AM UTC-5, SMS wrote:
This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally

long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very quiet.

The Point of Sale system was down. They said it was down at all stores

and it had been down since Friday. They were writing up bills of sale by

hand, and using a calculator to calculate 25% discounts, sales tax, and

totals. I wanted to tell the cashier that she could multiply by 0.75 and

that she didn't have to multiply the price by 0.25 and then store that

and then subtract that amount from the full price, but the last time I

tried to explain that to a cashier at CVS she insisted that it wouldn't

be right.

Americans are freedom hating morons that need supervision. The supervisors are criminals and poo lice only protect corporate profits not moral job procedures.

Violently overthrow the religious goddamned government
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:57:34 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 12/15/2013 1:34 AM, SMS wrote:

[...]

You are a ****ing idiot that should be beaten to death with baseball bats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 2:34 AM, SMS wrote:
This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally
long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very quiet.

The Point of Sale system was down. They said it was down at all stores
and it had been down since Friday. They were writing up bills of sale by
hand, and using a calculator to calculate 25% discounts, sales tax, and
totals. I wanted to tell the cashier that she could multiply by 0.75 and
that she didn't have to multiply the price by 0.25 and then store that
and then subtract that amount from the full price, but the last time I
tried to explain that to a cashier at CVS she insisted that it wouldn't
be right.

Was this the same gal who could not sell you a half
dozen donuts, but could sell you one, six, or twelve
donuts?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote in
:

This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally
long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very
quiet.

The Point of Sale system was down. They said it was down at all stores
and it had been down since Friday. They were writing up bills of sale
by hand, and using a calculator to calculate 25% discounts, sales tax,
and totals. I wanted to tell the cashier that she could multiply by
0.75 and that she didn't have to multiply the price by 0.25 and then
store that and then subtract that amount from the full price, but the
last time I tried to explain that to a cashier at CVS she insisted
that it wouldn't be right.

You're implying the cashier at HF was not so bright.

Cashier was being paid by HF being there.

You were getting srewed by HF being there.

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 6:43 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/15/2013 2:34 AM, SMS wrote:
This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally
long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very
quiet.

The Point of Sale system was down. They said it was down at all stores
and it had been down since Friday. They were writing up bills of sale by
hand, and using a calculator to calculate 25% discounts, sales tax, and
totals. I wanted to tell the cashier that she could multiply by 0.75 and
that she didn't have to multiply the price by 0.25 and then store that
and then subtract that amount from the full price, but the last time I
tried to explain that to a cashier at CVS she insisted that it wouldn't
be right.

Was this the same gal who could not sell you a half
dozen donuts, but could sell you one, six, or twelve
donuts?

I walked into a fast food joint that had frozen yogurt and when I asked
the cute girl behind the counter for a large, she said they didn't sell
a large. I pointed out the next size up foam bowl and told her to put it
in that one and charge me for two smalls. It was like I asked her to
disrobe but I got my large yogurt. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2013 11:34 PM, SMS wrote:
This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally
long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very quiet.

The Point of Sale system was down. They said it was down at all stores
and it had been down since Friday. They were writing up bills of sale by
hand, and using a calculator to calculate 25% discounts, sales tax, and
totals. I wanted to tell the cashier that she could multiply by 0.75 and
that she didn't have to multiply the price by 0.25 and then store that
and then subtract that amount from the full price, but the last time I
tried to explain that to a cashier at CVS she insisted that it wouldn't
be right.

Had this happen at my local HF earlier in the year when the power went
down for a large section. No credit cards, cash and checks only.

They rolled with it pretty well, and seemed to be having a good time.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:34:13 PM UTC-8, SMS wrote:
This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally
long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very quiet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 23:34:13 -0800, SMS
wrote:

This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally
long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very quiet.

The Point of Sale system was down. They said it was down at all stores
and it had been down since Friday. They were writing up bills of sale by
hand, and using a calculator to calculate 25% discounts, sales tax, and
totals. I wanted to tell the cashier that she could multiply by 0.75 and
that she didn't have to multiply the price by 0.25 and then store that
and then subtract that amount from the full price, but the last time I
tried to explain that to a cashier at CVS she insisted that it wouldn't
be right.

A couple of months ago, HF was hacked and they lost many thousands of
CC numbers. My debit card was one. The perps only used the number
once before we could shut it down. My wife watches our accounts like
a hawk and I was out of town on business the day they hit a Marshalls
(we don't shop there, anyway). Visa only had to eat $50 on mine but
I'm sure they took the hammer. I stopped using the PIN on my debit
card after that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 2:34 AM, SMS wrote:
[...]

She wasn't a DD but had two Bs?
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/15/2013 1:34 AM, SMS wrote:
[...]

They were doing fine. They had a handheld scanner that told them the
price of each item. They asked the customer which was the most expensive
item that they wanted the 25% discount on.

I was at Fry's Electronics once on black Friday when the POS system went
down. That was something to see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 12:39 PM, SMS wrote:
On 12/15/2013 1:34 AM, SMS wrote:
[...]

I've actually installed POS systems in some of the Domino's Pizza stores
in the area and before they went to PC's then touch screen systems, they
were using a serial communications network with dumb terminals which
required everything to be typed in. The kids would drop the keyboards on
the floor causing key caps to pop off. When the morons swept the floors
at the end of the night, they swept up the key caps
and thew the in the trash. They do kill touch screen systems but it's a
rare occurrence. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 2:34 AM, SMS wrote:
[...]

She was cute and I never try to be nasty to any of them. There are
enough nasty people in this world for them to deal with. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Before I got too ill to climb ladders, we did some retrofits at the
T.J.Maxx stores installing new Cisco encrypted WiFi access points
because of hackers getting in from the parking lot of some of the stores
and stealing customer data. The wireless access points at all the
retailers are for the handheld bar-code inventory scanners and some of
them were wide open giving hackers an open invitation to get into the
network. Most people have no idea of the size of computer networks at
retail stores. The next time you go into a Walmart, look at the support
posts around the store and you may see a big white metal cabinet at the
top near the ceiling. Those cabinets contain network patch panels,
switches and sometimes routers or wireless gear. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:09:58 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:34:13 PM UTC-8, SMS wrote:
This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally
long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very quiet.
The Point of Sale system was down. They said it was down at all stores
and it had been down since Friday. They were writing up bills of sale by
hand, and using a calculator to calculate 25% discounts, sales tax, and
totals. I wanted to tell the cashier that she could multiply by 0.75 and
that she didn't have to multiply the price by 0.25 and then store that
and then subtract that amount from the full price, but the last time I

tried to explain that to a cashier at CVS she insisted that it wouldn't

be right.

I ran into a new one to me just the other day.

Got a Subway and when I got to the cash register the clerk was using a hand held calculator before entering into the till. I thought that maybe the till wasn't operating right. What really got me is that he used the calculator to figure how much change I had coming back for a $5.47 bill when I handed him $6

Harry K

Next time hand the clerk $6.49 and watch the calamity. People crow
about raising the minimum wage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message ...

I was at Fry's Electronics once on black Friday when the POS system went
down. That was something to see.

Ah, Fry's (before going mainstream), and Weird Stuff were two of my favorite
haunts, back in the day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

She was cute and I never try to be nasty to any of them. There are
enough nasty people in this world for them to deal with. ^_^

TDD

Hey, you could at least of asked her if she was wearing panties. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 11:15 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Had this happen at my local HF earlier in the year when the power went
down for a large section. No credit cards, cash and checks only.

They rolled with it pretty well, and seemed to be having a good time.

Jon

And the store sells flashlights. What a
good fit. Employees with strap on head
lamps....

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I ran into a new one to me just the other day.

Got a Subway and when I got to the cash register the clerk was using a hand held calculator before entering into the till. I thought that maybe the till wasn't operating right. What really got me is that he used the calculator to figure how much change I had coming back for a $5.47 bill when I handed him $6

Harry K

Next time hand the clerk $6.49 and watch the calamity. People crow
about raising the minimum wage?

Dilbert had such a comic strip, years ago. It was
funny cause it's true. I've seen the calculator
drones doing their thing. I've tried to explain
simple cash back, but it's no use.
--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I ran into a new one to me just the other day.

Got a Subway and when I got to the cash register the clerk was using a hand held calculator before entering into the till. I thought that maybe the till wasn't operating right. What really got me is that he used the calculator to figure how much change I had coming back for a $5.47 bill when I handed him $6

Harry K

Next time hand the clerk $6.49 and watch the calamity. People crow
about raising the minimum wage?

Dilbert had such a comic strip, years ago. It was
funny cause it's true. I've seen the calculator
drones doing their thing. I've tried to explain
simple cash back, but it's no use.

I'm not joking. I've tossed some extra pennies on the counter. They
freak out about an extra seven pennies.

There was an Associate Warden (AW) that would hall monitor staff going
home an turn in rings of prison keys at days end.

This was the same creature I knew from his other work in another
state.

Had a lot of fun telling him, to his face, what an "fool" he was. I
could give more examples than the time he had the food warehouse
sprayed with toxic chemicals to "kill boll weevils" in the prison
flour sacks.

He could have poisoned the convicts

Oh what a memory ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I ran into a new one to me just the other day.

Got a Subway and when I got to the cash register the clerk was using
a hand held calculator before entering into the till. I thought that
maybe the till wasn't operating right. What really got me is that he
used the calculator to figure how much change I had coming back for a
$5.47 bill when I handed him $6

Harry K

Next time hand the clerk $6.49 and watch the calamity. People crow
about raising the minimum wage?

Dilbert had such a comic strip, years ago. It was
funny cause it's true. I've seen the calculator
drones doing their thing. I've tried to explain
simple cash back, but it's no use.

My "favorite" is: the total comes to $1.77 and I give them $2.02, for
example. They invariably give try to give me the two pennies back before
they even try to calculate the change. I tell them I did that
intentionally because I don't want a lot of loose change back. Then they
look amazed when they run it through a their computer and realize they
only have to give me a quarter back. (Although some party poopers then
give me back dimes and nickels!).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

or worse

....and here's your change sir

1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘ +1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘+1˘
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
A couple of months ago, HF was hacked and they lost many thousands of
CC numbers. My debit card was one. The perps only used the number
once before we could shut it down. My wife watches our accounts like
a hawk and I was out of town on business the day they hit a Marshalls
(we don't shop there, anyway). Visa only had to eat $50 on mine but
I'm sure they took the hammer. I stopped using the PIN on my debit
card after that.
Here in Canada, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has a TV show called Marketplace where they focus on consumer scams and stuff like that. One episode was devoted entirely to how to protect your credit card information from being obtained by crooks.

One of the most common places for thieves to steal your credit card info is at gas stations when you use a credit or debit card to pay for your fuel purchase right at the pump. Apparantly, the locks on fuel pumps are not very secure and there's only about a couple of dozen key profiles that open those pumps up. So, if someone can get his hands on some fuel pump keys, he can try them at other gas stations late at night when they're closed to see if he can get into their pumps. If so, he can put the necessary electronics in to copy the information read every time someone pays with a credit card. If the gas station owner doesn't open up the pump for a week or two, he won't even know that someone else has been monkeying around in there.

I rarely pay for anything with my credit card; but paying for gasoline right at the pump is something I'd be concerned about since watching that Marketplace show.

Last edited by nestork : December 17th 13 at 06:43 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2013 12:26 AM, nestork wrote:
;3167058 Wrote:

[...]

I always go into the store and pay at the register. Here, if you pay at
the pump, a certain amount of money like $50-$100 is tied up in your
account until the purchase clears. A lot of people have been caught in
the little legal scam. You will wind up bouncing checks because you
don't have access to your funds. You can buy $20 worth of gas at the
pump and $100 could be set aside in your account until the debit
purchase clears the bank in several days. I never use my bank issued
card to pay at any gas pump. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 04:19:11 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I rarely pay for anything with my credit card; but paying for gasoline
right at the pump is something I'd be concerned about since watching
that Marketplace show.

I always go into the store and pay at the register. Here, if you pay at
the pump, a certain amount of money like $50-$100 is tied up in your
account until the purchase clears. A lot of people have been caught in
the little legal scam. You will wind up bouncing checks because you
don't have access to your funds. You can buy $20 worth of gas at the
pump and $100 could be set aside in your account until the debit
purchase clears the bank in several days. I never use my bank issued
card to pay at any gas pump. o_O

TDD

Simple solution. I work in MA and some towns do not allow self
service. For the same price I can get full service and just pay the
guy that pumps it while I sit in my warm car.

This feature also works in New Jersey and Oregon. The rest of the
country was hoodwinked to think self service is cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't mind self service because it gives me a chance to check out my
vehicle and look for any problems. As a kid, I remember my parents
driving into a service station and having one or more guys going over
the car to check the car out while it was being fueled. Gasoline was
25cents or so a gallon. Of course in those days, the U.S. Dollar was
based on the gold standard as I recall and actually worth something.
^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't mind self service because it gives me a chance to check out my
vehicle and look for any problems. As a kid, I remember my parents
driving into a service station and having one or more guys going over
the car to check the car out while it was being fueled. Gasoline was
25cents or so a gallon. Of course in those days, the U.S. Dollar was
based on the gold standard as I recall and actually worth something.
^_^

TDD

Good point. I'll do that next April through September. When it is 10
below and 30 mph winds I just want to get gas and go.

T\o clarify, full service really is not. They pump the gas, but do not
check oil or clean the windshield like day of old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

....or give them the two cents after they've punched the $2 into the
computer. They're totally stumped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2013 1:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't mind self service because it gives me a chance to check out my
vehicle and look for any problems. As a kid, I remember my parents
driving into a service station and having one or more guys going over
the car to check the car out while it was being fueled. Gasoline was
25cents or so a gallon. Of course in those days, the U.S. Dollar was
based on the gold standard as I recall and actually worth something.
^_^

TDD

Good point. I'll do that next April through September. When it is 10
below and 30 mph winds I just want to get gas and go.

T\o clarify, full service really is not. They pump the gas, but do not
check oil or clean the windshield like day of old.

The climate of Alabamastan doesn't dip into the below freezing range
that much so winters aren't that severe unless Canada sticks its cold
tongue out at us. When I stop for gas I can check under the hood with
the engine warmed up and I can see any coolant leaks or oil leaks or
anything else that may be loose. It was below freezing last night and
now at 2:30pm it's 62°F, we're expecting 30°F tonight. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:11:42 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't mind self service because it gives me a chance to check out my
vehicle and look for any problems. As a kid, I remember my parents
driving into a service station and having one or more guys going over
the car to check the car out while it was being fueled. Gasoline was
25cents or so a gallon. Of course in those days, the U.S. Dollar was
based on the gold standard as I recall and actually worth something.
^_^

TDD

Good point. I'll do that next April through September. When it is 10
below and 30 mph winds I just want to get gas and go.

The better solution is to move. ;-)

T\o clarify, full service really is not. They pump the gas, but do not
check oil or clean the windshield like day of old.

I'd rather not have them around my car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:26:41 +0100, nestork
wrote:

;3167058 Wrote:

[...]

I've heard similar but I don't really care, much, if they get my CC.
The real issue is the debit card. That's what they got from Horror
Fright. Fortunately, they didn't get the PIN but it was still a PITA
to get another card (which the CU made even worse than it had to be).
I've stopped using the PIN because then it would have been "on me".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Exactly. When I lived in NY we were told it would be cheaper... it
quickly exceeded what we were paying... within a month or so.

I live in NJ now,and I'm ok with havhing somone pump my gas..

--
Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Very important to understand that.
The idiots today think printing money is good that it makes money
available to borrow... What they don't understand is that it's stealing
from everyone else, and should be considered a tax...

Anyone that can give themselves a loan by printing money should not be
trusted... Don't trust our goverment... They are not our friend...

as I recall and actually worth something.
^_^

TDD

--
Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 12/15/2013 2:34 AM, SMS wrote:
[...]

And you thought you had me at "frozen yogurt" ...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 2:34 AM, SMS wrote:
[...]

Sometimes it's good to be nasty. Don't beat me
up on this...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I don't mind self service because it gives me a chance to check out my
vehicle and look for any problems. As a kid, I remember my parents
driving into a service station and having one or more guys going over
the car to check the car out while it was being fueled. Gasoline was
25cents or so a gallon. Of course in those days, the U.S. Dollar was
based on the gold standard as I recall and actually worth something.
^_^

TDD

Good point. I'll do that next April through September. When it is 10
below and 30 mph winds I just want to get gas and go.

T\o clarify, full service really is not. They pump the gas, but do not
check oil or clean the windshield like day of old.

I used to work at a gas station in my younger
days. The owner was insistent we give full
service. That was with spray bottles and paper
towels, oil checks, and tire pressures'. Different
days then. Of course I was smart enough to always
remember the hot girls cars. One night a couple
came in and the male driver insisted I clean the
windshield *throughly*. I almost rubbed a hole
trough the glass when I discovered the female
passenger had no top on!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Then we would get into a discussion on "Fiat Currency" which has nothing
to do with cute little automobiles. That discussion could
produce a thread that would last for years. o_O

TDD