Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Harbor Freight Point of Sale System Down

On 12/15/2013 1:34 AM, SMS wrote:
This morning I was in Harbor Freight Tools. The line seemed abnormally
long and one register had a "Cash Only" sign on it. It was also very
quiet.

The Point of Sale system was down. They said it was down at all stores
and it had been down since Friday. They were writing up bills of sale by
hand, and using a calculator to calculate 25% discounts, sales tax, and
totals. I wanted to tell the cashier that she could multiply by 0.75 and
that she didn't have to multiply the price by 0.25 and then store that
and then subtract that amount from the full price, but the last time I
tried to explain that to a cashier at CVS she insisted that it wouldn't
be right.

I've actually done work on some of the Harbor Freight store computer
systems when they were upgrading the digital communications gear. I
think we hooked up a T1 for them but I'd have to search the work orders
to see exactly what was done. The kids who run the registers are
helpless when the system goes down. ^_^

They were doing fine. They had a handheld scanner that told them the
price of each item. They asked the customer which was the most expensive
item that they wanted the 25% discount on.

I was at Fry's Electronics once on black Friday when the POS system went
down. That was something to see.