nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
A couple of months ago, HF was hacked and they lost many thousands of
CC numbers. My debit card was one. The perps only used the number
once before we could shut it down. My wife watches our accounts like
a hawk and I was out of town on business the day they hit a Marshalls
(we don't shop there, anyway). Visa only had to eat $50 on mine but
I'm sure they took the hammer. I stopped using the PIN on my debit
card after that.
Here in Canada, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has a TV show called Marketplace where they focus on consumer scams and stuff like that. One episode was devoted entirely to how to protect your credit card information from being obtained by crooks.

One of the most common places for thieves to steal your credit card info is at gas stations when you use a credit or debit card to pay for your fuel purchase right at the pump. Apparantly, the locks on fuel pumps are not very secure and there's only about a couple of dozen key profiles that open those pumps up. So, if someone can get his hands on some fuel pump keys, he can try them at other gas stations late at night when they're closed to see if he can get into their pumps. If so, he can put the necessary electronics in to copy the information read every time someone pays with a credit card. If the gas station owner doesn't open up the pump for a week or two, he won't even know that someone else has been monkeying around in there.

I rarely pay for anything with my credit card; but paying for gasoline right at the pump is something I'd be concerned about since watching that Marketplace show.

Last edited by nestork : December 17th 13 at 06:43 AM