Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Have you looked ...

At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases start at
around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like I'm going to be
building a tile shower ... materials should run around $275-$325 and labor
will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when a former employer asked if I
wanted to work with the tile guy !
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:51:55 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases start at
around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like I'm going to be
building a tile shower ... materials should run around $275-$325 and labor
will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when a former employer asked if I
wanted to work with the tile guy !

Have a look at this:

" ready-to-use elastomeric waterproofing membrane for both commercial
and residential tile and stone application. Suited for interior and
exterior substrates, RedGard® creates a continuous waterproofing
barrier with outstanding adhesion and reduces crack transmission in
tile and stone floors. It bonds directly to clean metal drains, PVC,
stainless steel and ABS drain assemblies and can be used as a
slab-on-grade moisture vapor barrier under all types of floor
coverings."

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/surface-preparation/membranes-underlayments/redgard.aspx

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG5GIqcYkSs#t=24
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
[...]

Interesting stuff , but not applicable in my case . I'm on a suspended
wood floor , and will be using a two-part shower drain flange with a vinyl
pan . Floor will be 4:1 sand/cement dampened enough to pack and bond then
tiled . Walls will be concrete backer board on the bottom 3 feet , green
board sheetrock above .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2013 1:51 PM, Snag wrote:
At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases start at
around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like I'm going to be
building a tile shower ... materials should run around $275-$325 and labor
will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when a former employer asked if I
wanted to work with the tile guy !

The bases are expensive, but that is what I'm using. My reasoning is
I'll appreciate it in 5 or 15 years if it does not leak like grouted
tile has the potential to do. I have a Swanstone base and will tile the
walls.

Sink will also be Swanstone on a cherry vanity, Kohler faucets and
toilet. Shower door will be 3/8" plate glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snag" wrote in message news
At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases start at
around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like I'm going to be
building a tile shower ... materials should run around $275-$325 and labor
will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when a former employer asked if I
wanted to work with the tile guy !
--
Snag

---
protection is active.

Snag. You will never be sorry if you go for the molded surround type. We
have had two homes with theses.
easy to clean, no mildew or leak problems. Don't let cost defer you for
something that is trouble free.
Remember you must live with it. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message news
At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases
start at around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like
I'm going to be building a tile shower ... materials should run
around $275-$325 and labor will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when
a former employer asked if I wanted to work with the tile guy !

Snag. You will never be sorry if you go for the molded surround type. We
have had two homes with theses.
easy to clean, no mildew or leak problems. Don't let cost defer you for
something that is trouble free.
Remember you must live with it. WW

-----------

The problem is that our budget won't stretch far enough to spend nearly a
thousand bucks on the shower . And having done a lot of tile work , I know
which grouts to use ... acrylic modified products are much more
mildew-resistant than older grouts .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Snag" wrote in message
news
At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases start at
around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like I'm going to be
building a tile shower ... materials should run around $275-$325 and labor
will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when a former employer asked if I
wanted to work with the tile guy !
--
Snag

---
protection is active.

You've already had a bunch of advice, here is my take--I had a tile shower
and it became a constant pain to keep the grout clean, repeated repairs with
the grout especially along the inside corners and along the pan level. Then
along came the time (7-8 yrs ago) when the shower was torn out during a
bathroom rebuild--I ended up with a Sterling glass corner shower (a base,
two walls and the door). I don't remember the cost but it's worth every
penny--just about non-existent maintenance (nothing to repair), easy to keep
clean, cosmetically looks great. Think again, amortize the cost over the
next few years and today's cost will not seem too high a price--especially
five years from now when you're working away cleaning, scraping and
replacing grout . And after all that work you still can't it to look like
new any more (and the wife is the first one to let you know).
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2013 3:29 PM, Snag wrote:
WW wrote:

Snag. You will never be sorry if you go for the molded surround type. We
have had two homes with theses.
easy to clean, no mildew or leak problems. Don't let cost defer you for
something that is trouble free.
Remember you must live with it. WW

-----------

The problem is that our budget won't stretch far enough to spend nearly a
thousand bucks on the shower . And having done a lot of tile work , I know
which grouts to use ... acrylic modified products are much more
mildew-resistant than older grouts .

If the base works out you will be OK. but my concern would be that
suspended wood floor could move and eventually cause a crack.

As for the walls, I agree that tile is the way to go. The molded
surrounds are very good, but just don't have the luxury look of tile.
I'm not only going to tile the shower, but the other walls for 4 1/2
feet with a 3" glass mosaic trim. I started out to do the shower, but
the entire bathroom is being done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote:

[...]

A properly done tile shower floor is not likely to crack . Useta be that
most leaks were caused by degraded shower pans , lead would get eaten away
by electrolysis , fiber/tar was always a crap shoot . The new vinyl stuff is
great , easy to install and lasts until forever .
And the first place I used overkill was in the support system . Double
2x10/plywood sandwich beams 8 feet apart supported every 8 feet on 4x4 posts
set in concrete and 2x8 joists on top of them crossblocked in 3 places .
This floor does not move .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2013 10:51 AM, Snag wrote:
At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases start at
around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like I'm going to be
building a tile shower ... materials should run around $275-$325 and labor
will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when a former employer asked if I
wanted to work with the tile guy !

I faced that same realization a few years ago when I was looking to redo
my bath/shower. I was optimistic about the ~$100 panels, but then I
went to the store and discovered that they were flimsy plastic, and
overpriced at that.

I ended up doing a tub to ceiling tile job that I am very proud of, and
it turned out to be a good decision. Lots of work, but it was worth it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:05:57 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG5GIqcYkSs#t=24

Interesting stuff , but not applicable in my case . I'm on a suspended
wood floor , and will be using a two-part shower drain flange with a vinyl
pan . Floor will be 4:1 sand/cement dampened enough to pack and bond then
tiled . Walls will be concrete backer board on the bottom 3 feet , green
board sheetrock above .

Um, The Redgaurd will still all those materials from water. YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2013 2:29 PM, Snag wrote:
WW wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message news
At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases
start at around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like
I'm going to be building a tile shower ... materials should run
around $275-$325 and labor will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when
a former employer asked if I wanted to work with the tile guy !

Snag. You will never be sorry if you go for the molded surround type. We
have had two homes with theses.
easy to clean, no mildew or leak problems. Don't let cost defer you for
something that is trouble free.
Remember you must live with it. WW

-----------

The problem is that our budget won't stretch far enough to spend nearly a
thousand bucks on the shower . And having done a lot of tile work , I know
which grouts to use ... acrylic modified products are much more
mildew-resistant than older grouts .

Are you using a hardener additive? I use it on small concrete and grout
jobs and it works fantastic. I was thinking about using it on my next br
tile job.

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines...cFortifier.asp

I used a acrylic hardener full strength (no water just hardener) on a
counter job I did too. It helps keep stains out. The stuff makes grout
incredibly strong. Really doesn't cost that much either for small jobs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Snag wrote:

At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases start at
around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like I'm going to be
building a tile shower ... materials should run around $275-$325 and labor
will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when a former employer asked if I
wanted to work with the tile guy !

Screw tile, too many grout joints to clean. Look to concrete countertops
i.e. fab shower wall panels just like the countertops, and fab a shower
pan base similarly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message news
[...]

I like the latex additives . Gives the grout some flex and helps keep
stuff from soaking into the grout . Huh , just looked up the MSDS on your
link above , it is latex additive too . As Dobie Gillis would say "Good ****
, Maynard !".
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Snag wrote:

At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases
start at around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like
I'm going to be building a tile shower ... materials should run
around $275-$325 and labor will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when
a former employer asked if I wanted to work with the tile guy !

Screw tile, too many grout joints to clean. Look to concrete
countertops i.e. fab shower wall panels just like the countertops,
and fab a shower pan base similarly.

Interesting idea , but I suspect my wife would balk at a concrete shower
.. Even if it was dyed interesting colors . We do , however , plan on making
extensive use of the native rocks . There's a reason they call it Stone
County ...
--

Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message news
[...]

I've been impressed with quikrete products. It wasn't what I used on my
counter but it was a similar product. I've never used the quikrete
hardener full strength. A test would probably be prudent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Snag wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Snag wrote:

At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases
start at around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like
I'm going to be building a tile shower ... materials should run
around $275-$325 and labor will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when
a former employer asked if I wanted to work with the tile guy !

Screw tile, too many grout joints to clean. Look to concrete
countertops i.e. fab shower wall panels just like the countertops,
and fab a shower pan base similarly.

Interesting idea , but I suspect my wife would balk at a concrete shower
. Even if it was dyed interesting colors . We do , however , plan on making
extensive use of the native rocks . There's a reason they call it Stone
County ...

Just show her pics of concrete countertops that have embedded colored
glass pieces and bits of aluminum and brass sparklies...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snag" wrote:
At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases start at
around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like I'm going to be
building a tile shower ... materials should run around $275-$325 and labor
will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when a former employer asked if I
wanted to work with the tile guy !

This is what I intend doing. I bought the drain, just née the fabric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLq7ogxDRr0

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 02:57:35 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases start at
around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like I'm going to be
building a tile shower ... materials should run around $275-$325 and labor
will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when a former employer asked if I
wanted to work with the tile guy !

This is what I intend doing. I bought the drain, just née the fabric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLq7ogxDRr0

Greg

The Schluter®-DITRA (same company) is nice. I've seen a few
installs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6FyWs2WZ1k
Posted to alt.home.repair

Snag wrote:
.."

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/surface-preparation/membranes-underlayments/redgard.aspx

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG5GIqcYkSs#t=24

Interesting stuff , but not applicable in my case . I'm on a
suspended wood floor , and will be using a two-part shower drain flange with a
vinyl pan . Floor will be 4:1 sand/cement dampened enough to pack and bond
then tiled . Walls will be concrete backer board on the bottom 3 feet ,
green board sheetrock above .

My last project I used HardiBacker all the way to the ceiling and redgarded
that. I will NEVER use greenboard in a shower again. That was why I was re-doing
the shower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MLD wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
news
At the prices they want for prefab shower stalls ?? Prefab bases
start at around 600 bucks , surrounds 300 bucks and up . Looks like
I'm going to be building a tile shower ... materials should run
around $275-$325 and labor will be ...me . Sure glad I said yes when
a former employer asked if I wanted to work with the tile guy !
--
Snag

---
protection is active.

You've already had a bunch of advice, here is my take--I had a tile
shower and it became a constant pain to keep the grout clean,
repeated repairs with the grout especially along the inside corners
and along the pan level.

Maybe that's why the tile shops all say to caulk those places.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:32:20 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Snag wrote:
."

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/surface-preparation/membranes-underlayments/redgard.aspx

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG5GIqcYkSs#t=24

Interesting stuff , but not applicable in my case . I'm on a
suspended wood floor , and will be using a two-part shower drain flange with a
vinyl pan . Floor will be 4:1 sand/cement dampened enough to pack and bond
then tiled . Walls will be concrete backer board on the bottom 3 feet ,
green board sheetrock above .

My last project I used HardiBacker all the way to the ceiling and redgarded
that. I will NEVER use greenboard in a shower again. That was why I was re-doing
the shower.

HardiBacker is the only way to go. It's easy to work with (a few
precautions are needed against dust) and lasts forever. Greenboard
was never recommended for wet locations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 20:16:31 -0500, wrote:

Greenboard
was never recommended for wet locations.

I think it was at one time, then another product was blue board,
later.