Posted to alt.home.repair
Snag[_4_] Snag[_4_] is offline

Default Have you looked ...

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/14/2013 3:29 PM, Snag wrote:
WW wrote:

Snag. You will never be sorry if you go for the molded surround
type. We have had two homes with theses.
easy to clean, no mildew or leak problems. Don't let cost defer you
for something that is trouble free.
Remember you must live with it. WW

-----------

The problem is that our budget won't stretch far enough to spend
nearly a thousand bucks on the shower . And having done a lot of
tile work , I know which grouts to use ... acrylic modified products
are much more mildew-resistant than older grouts .

If the base works out you will be OK. but my concern would be that
suspended wood floor could move and eventually cause a crack.

As for the walls, I agree that tile is the way to go. The molded
surrounds are very good, but just don't have the luxury look of tile.
I'm not only going to tile the shower, but the other walls for 4 1/2
feet with a 3" glass mosaic trim. I started out to do the shower, but
the entire bathroom is being done.

A properly done tile shower floor is not likely to crack . Useta be that
most leaks were caused by degraded shower pans , lead would get eaten away
by electrolysis , fiber/tar was always a crap shoot . The new vinyl stuff is
great , easy to install and lasts until forever .
And the first place I used overkill was in the support system . Double
2x10/plywood sandwich beams 8 feet apart supported every 8 feet on 4x4 posts
set in concrete and 2x8 joists on top of them crossblocked in 3 places .
This floor does not move .
--
Snag

---