Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

Default Why does microwave trip breaker?

A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a big
one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5 minutes of
running.

They've reset the breaker several times and it's the same each time.

What's your best guess?

I havent' looked at it yet, but my best guess from afar is that some
of the primary windings in the transformer have shorted, and thus the
impedance of the primary has decreased and it's drawing more current
than it should, more than 15 amps. Does this sound reasonable? If
not reasonable, then possible?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/12/2013 10:48 AM, micky wrote:
A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a big
one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5 minutes of
running.

They've reset the breaker several times and it's the same each time.

What's your best guess?

I havent' looked at it yet, but my best guess from afar is that some
of the primary windings in the transformer have shorted, and thus the
impedance of the primary has decreased and it's drawing more current
than it should, more than 15 amps. Does this sound reasonable? If
not reasonable, then possible?

They may have other devices on the breaker which they should remove.

If there are NO other devices on that circuit and you do not have an AC
ammeter, temporarily try the microwave on some completely different
circuit. If that circuit breaker blows too, then the microwave may very
well be bad. OTOH: If it does not blow, then the breaker is weak OR the
wiring going to it is loose or burned and getting hot!
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:48:14 -0500, micky
wrote:

A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a big
one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5 minutes of
running.

They've reset the breaker several times and it's the same each time.

What's your best guess?

I havent' looked at it yet, but my best guess from afar is that some
of the primary windings in the transformer have shorted, and thus the
impedance of the primary has decreased and it's drawing more current
than it should, more than 15 amps. Does this sound reasonable? If
not reasonable, then possible?

Being an inverter model it doesn't have the big transformer in it. Is
it on a separate dedicated circuit??? What wattage is the oven? My
suspiscion would point to the breaker if it is less than 1700 watts
and on a dedicated circuit. If not on a dedicated circuit, what else
is on with it???
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/12/2013 8:48 AM, micky wrote:
A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a big
one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5 minutes of
running.

They've reset the breaker several times and it's the same each time.

What's your best guess?

I havent' looked at it yet, but my best guess from afar is that some
of the primary windings in the transformer have shorted, and thus the
impedance of the primary has decreased and it's drawing more current
than it should, more than 15 amps. Does this sound reasonable? If
not reasonable, then possible?

We have one like that. There is no big transformer! that is why it's
called and inverter. It's so light, they should move it to another
circuit and try it.

The time delay is the breaker getting warm enough to open. I suspect a
worn out breaker! Replace it and all should be ok.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

Paul Drahn wrote:
[...]

Hi,
First question to ask is, Did the unit work well and started tripping
breaker lately or they got new one and try to start use it?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:24:34 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Paul Drahn wrote:
[...]

It's a few years old, and worked fine until a day or two ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:59:31 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/12/2013 10:48 AM, micky wrote:
A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a big
one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5 minutes of
running.

They've reset the breaker several times and it's the same each time.

What's your best guess?

I havent' looked at it yet, but my best guess from afar is that some
of the primary windings in the transformer have shorted, and thus the
impedance of the primary has decreased and it's drawing more current
than it should, more than 15 amps. Does this sound reasonable? If
not reasonable, then possible?

They may have other devices on the breaker which they should remove.

That i thought of, but I didn't get a satisfactory answer. The
electric coffee maker is on the same circuit and they've had to unplug
that, but it isn't plugged in now. But when I tried to bring up other
things plugged in to the same circuit, I got some words I didn't
understand.

If there are NO other devices on that circuit and you do not have an AC
ammeter, temporarily try the microwave on some completely different
circuit.

That I didn't think of, and I should have. He said around 3 that
he'd found one, in the paper or online, a lot like this one, and he
was going to buy one today. I told him I would ask online, but he
still went shopping. I read your replies about 5, and after all of
you brought up the breaker, I called and he wasn't home. I called his
cell and got voicemail. I called his wife at home and he was just
coming in but had to go out and had no time to talk!

She told him it might be the breaker and I could hear him say, That's
a good idea"

I could hear him tell her that the new one was in the car. It's safe
enough he can leave it in the car all night, but I have a feeling he
will bring it in, open it up, and cook something, when he gets home
tonight. .

If that circuit breaker blows too, then the microwave may very
well be bad. OTOH: If it does not blow, then the breaker is weak OR the
wiring going to it is loose or burned and getting hot!

I was explaining this to the wife, but she raised something I hadn'ty
thought of, and before I discounted it, she'd was in a hurry and said
goodbye too.

Maybe I'll know something tomorrow, but experience in general tells me
that when someone gets this head up about buying something, he'll buy
it whether he needs it or not.

Thanks philo and all of you.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/12/2013 04:32 PM, micky wrote:

snipped for brevity

I could hear him tell her that the new one was in the car. It's safe
enough he can leave it in the car all night, but I have a feeling he
will bring it in, open it up, and cook something, when he gets home
tonight. .

If that circuit breaker blows too, then the microwave may very
well be bad. OTOH: If it does not blow, then the breaker is weak OR the
wiring going to it is loose or burned and getting hot!

I was explaining this to the wife, but she raised something I hadn'ty
thought of, and before I discounted it, she'd was in a hurry and said
goodbye too.

Maybe I'll know something tomorrow, but experience in general tells me
that when someone gets this head up about buying something, he'll buy
it whether he needs it or not.

Thanks philo and all of you.

If you can get them to go through all those steps I'm sure they will get
it sorted out.

If the do replace the breaker they need to be sure the wire going to it
is not burned...if it is tarnished, the problem will just start all over
again.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:14:04 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 12/12/2013 8:48 AM, micky wrote:
A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a big
one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5 minutes of
running.

They've reset the breaker several times and it's the same each time.

What's your best guess?

I havent' looked at it yet, but my best guess from afar is that some
of the primary windings in the transformer have shorted, and thus the
impedance of the primary has decreased and it's drawing more current
than it should, more than 15 amps. Does this sound reasonable? If
not reasonable, then possible?

We have one like that. There is no big transformer! that is why it's
called and inverter.

No kidding! I wondered about the name.

It's so light, they should move it to another
circuit and try it.

That's what they should do all right. Based on your post, I told his
wife it was light

The time delay is the breaker getting warm enough to open. I suspect a
worn out breaker! Replace it and all should be ok.

I told her it might be that and she told him, but I think they'll buy
a new one anyhow. Oh, well, I tried. And at least I learned a
couple new things.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/12/2013 10:48 AM, micky wrote:
A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a
big one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5
minutes of running.

Microwaves are notoriously mean and will trip anyone coming by them. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/12/2013 11:48 AM, micky wrote:
A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a big
one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5 minutes of
running.

They've reset the breaker several times and it's the same each time.

What's your best guess?

I havent' looked at it yet, but my best guess from afar is that some
of the primary windings in the transformer have shorted, and thus the
impedance of the primary has decreased and it's drawing more current
than it should, more than 15 amps. Does this sound reasonable? If
not reasonable, then possible?

An electrician might pull the front off the breaker
box. Put ammeter on the wire, and see for real. In
real time. Or use a splitter where the plug goes
into the wall.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me seemed.

To.much current?

Does he run his coffee maker at the same time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2013 6:50 PM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
Let me seemed.

To.much current?

Does he run his coffee maker at the same time?

Killer Loon, living proof that human females should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:04:25 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/12/2013 11:48 AM, micky wrote:
A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a big
one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5 minutes of
running.

They've reset the breaker several times and it's the same each time.

What's your best guess?

I havent' looked at it yet, but my best guess from afar is that some
of the primary windings in the transformer have shorted, and thus the
impedance of the primary has decreased and it's drawing more current
than it should, more than 15 amps. Does this sound reasonable? If
not reasonable, then possible?

An electrician might pull the front off the breaker
box. Put ammeter on the wire, and see for real. In
real time. Or use a splitter where the plug goes
into the wall.

Splitter?

You remind me that I had bought a Kill-o-watt, or whatever to measure
wattage. Haven't used it. Only bought it then to put myself over 25
dollars for free amazon shipping. (Now you have to spend 35 dollars
for that) He's supposed to call this morning. I'll suggest it.
Except we'll have to stare at it for 5 minutes to see if it's high
when the breaker trips. Iwonder if it remembers a max value. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:50:12 -0800 (PST), "Daring Dufas : Hypocrite
TeaBillie on welfare" wrote:

Let me seemed.

To.much current?

Does he run his coffee maker at the same time?

They've learned not to do that. It hasn't been on these last several
times the breaker tripped.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/13/2013 5:40 AM, micky wrote:
An electrician might pull the front off the breaker
box. Put ammeter on the wire, and see for real. In
real time. Or use a splitter where the plug goes
into the wall.

Splitter?

You remind me that I had bought a Kill-o-watt, or whatever to measure
wattage. Haven't used it. Only bought it then to put myself over 25
dollars for free amazon shipping. (Now you have to spend 35 dollars
for that) He's supposed to call this morning. I'll suggest it.
Except we'll have to stare at it for 5 minutes to see if it's high
when the breaker trips. Iwonder if it remembers a max value. .

AC clamp on ammeter only goes around one of the
power wires (power or neutral). As such, we use
a splitter, so you can clamp one of the wires
but not the other. If you clamp the entire
microwave cord, you read zero amps of current.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 07:17:08 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

Oh, yeah. I get it.

I used to have a clamp-on attachment, but I bought a cheap clamp-on
meter from HF and sold the attachment for a dollar at a hamfest.
STill haven't used that either. But I probably will if I live long
enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:48:14 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:
A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a big

one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5 minutes of

running.

They've reset the breaker several times and it's the same each time.

What's your best guess?

I havent' looked at it yet, but my best guess from afar is that some

of the primary windings in the transformer have shorted, and thus the

impedance of the primary has decreased and it's drawing more current

than it should, more than 15 amps. Does this sound reasonable? If

not reasonable, then possible?

Replace the fuse with a penny .

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/13/2013 9:34 AM, micky wrote:
AC clamp on ammeter only goes around one of the
power wires (power or neutral). As such, we use
a splitter, so you can clamp one of the wires
but not the other. If you clamp the entire
microwave cord, you read zero amps of current.

Oh, yeah. I get it.

I used to have a clamp-on attachment, but I bought a cheap clamp-on
meter from HF and sold the attachment for a dollar at a hamfest.
STill haven't used that either. But I probably will if I live long
enough.

I use ammeter, now and again while working on equipment.
Can be very useful information.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/13/2013 9:34 AM, micky wrote:
AC clamp on ammeter only goes around one of the
power wires (power or neutral). As such, we use
a splitter, so you can clamp one of the wires
but not the other. If you clamp the entire
microwave cord, you read zero amps of current.

Oh, yeah. I get it.

I used to have a clamp-on attachment, but I bought a cheap clamp-on
meter from HF and sold the attachment for a dollar at a hamfest.
STill haven't used that either. But I probably will if I live long
enough.

I use ammeter, now and again while working on equipment.
Can be very useful information.

Hi,
Ammeter has to in sereis with circuit duo you ct wires or put it
between equipment breaker(switch) poles?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/13/2013 9:34 AM, micky wrote:
AC clamp on ammeter only goes around one of the
power wires (power or neutral). As such, we use
a splitter, so you can clamp one of the wires
but not the other. If you clamp the entire
microwave cord, you read zero amps of current.

Oh, yeah. I get it.

I used to have a clamp-on attachment, but I bought a cheap clamp-on
meter from HF and sold the attachment for a dollar at a hamfest.
STill haven't used that either. But I probably will if I live long
enough.

I use ammeter, now and again while working on equipment.
Can be very useful information.

Hmmm,
AC ammeter, Wow! when you use it do you cut the wires to put in the
circuit or connect to breaker(switch) terminals for the equipment under
test.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/13/2013 10:36 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
I used to have a clamp-on attachment, but I bought a cheap clamp-on
meter from HF and sold the attachment for a dollar at a hamfest.
STill haven't used that either. But I probably will if I live long
enough.

I use ammeter, now and again while working on equipment.
Can be very useful information.

Hi,
Ammeter has to in sereis with circuit duo you ct wires or put it
between equipment breaker(switch) poles?

I use a new gadget called a "clamp on ammeter"
which goes around a single wire which carries
current.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
[...]

Example of a line splitter.

http://www.extech.com/instruments/pr...=30&prodid=114

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/13/2013 11:32 AM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

[...]

I have one of those in the case with my clamp-on meter and test leads. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...
[...]

I bet you scratched your head, looking at it, and wondering what it was for. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/13/2013 12:32 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 12/13/2013 5:40 AM, micky wrote:
An electrician might pull the front off the breaker
box. Put ammeter on the wire, and see for real. In
real time. Or use a splitter where the plug goes
into the wall.

Splitter?

Example of a line splitter.

http://www.extech.com/instruments/pr...=30&prodid=114

Very good example. What I was thinking.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On 12/13/2013 12:03 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

[...]

^_^

TDD

I bet you scratched your head, looking at it, and wondering what it was
for. :-)

I use it to scratch my head because the prongs aren't too sharp. Another
use for it is to crush cockroaches when they crawl across the work
bench. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

I use it to scratch my head because the prongs aren't too sharp. Another
use for it is to crush cockroaches when they crawl across the work
bench. ^_^

TDD

Man who goes to bed with itchy butt wakes up with stinky splitter...

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:50:04 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/13/2013 9:34 AM, micky wrote:
AC clamp on ammeter only goes around one of the
power wires (power or neutral). As such, we use
a splitter, so you can clamp one of the wires
but not the other. If you clamp the entire
microwave cord, you read zero amps of current.

Oh, yeah. I get it.

I used to have a clamp-on attachment, but I bought a cheap clamp-on
meter from HF and sold the attachment for a dollar at a hamfest.
STill haven't used that either. But I probably will if I live long
enough.

I use ammeter, now and again while working on equipment.
Can be very useful information.

Hmmm,
AC ammeter, Wow! when you use it do you cut the wires to put in the
circuit or connect to breaker(switch) terminals for the equipment under
test.

Easy to make an adapter to put an ammeter inline - just make a short
extension cord with one of the wires cut and brought out to connect
the ammeter. - makes it a "plug in ammeter"
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 13:27:38 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

http://www.extech.com/instruments/pr...=30&prodid=114

I just make a short extention cord and split the external sheath,
allowing the insulated conductors to separate so you can install the
clamp-on meter. About $3.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message ...

Actually no. The current involved in house wiring is too high to put
in series with a meter.

Not if you are using a "rated" shunt meter. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

Metspitzer formulated the question :

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Actually the current in any circuit can be higher than the meter can
handle so it is a decision to be made every time you connect.

I never cease to be amazed how little knowledge there is about
electricity amongst people risking their lives messing with it.

--
John G

Posted to alt.home.repair

TeaBillie on welfare" wrote:

Let me seemed.

To.much current?

Does he run his coffee maker at the same time?

They've learned not to do that. It hasn't been on these last several
times the breaker tripped.

When I bought a large (at the time) microwave, I plugged it in and
started to heat a cup of water. There was a loud noise and the breaker
popped.

I took the microwave back and exchanged it. When I tried the same test
with the new one, the same thing happened. It turned out the breaker
was defective. Over 15 years later, the replacement microwave is still
working with the new breaker.

As far as using a coffee maker and a microwave at the same time, you may
be able to find two outlets that are on different breakers.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

********. A shunt ammeter can handle hundreds of amps in series with
the load. The shunt is a very low resistance high current device, and
a voltmeter reads the voltage drop across the resistance, calibrated
in amps.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

explained on 14/12/2013 :

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Till you understand electricity please stop spouting rubbish.

An ammeter can only safely handle its rated current.
Yes, the shunt is a low resistance but it is only big enough to handle
the rated current.
ie a 5 amp meter will have a shunt or be intenally capable of carrying
5 amps plus a margin for overload safety.
It will explode at "hundreds of amps"

--
John G
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

"John G" wrote in message . au...

Till you understand electricity please stop spouting rubbish.

An ammeter can only safely handle its rated current.
Yes, the shunt is a low resistance but it is only big enough to handle
the rated current.
ie a 5 amp meter will have a shunt or be intenally capable of carrying
5 amps plus a margin for overload safety.
It will explode at "hundreds of amps"

--
John G

One of the reasons the shunt type of meter went out of vogue. CT's are much
safer.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

explained on 14/12/2013 :

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

The previous poster said "Actually no. The current involved in
house wiring is too high to put in series with a meter." to which I
replied"********. A shunt ammeter can handle hundreds of amps in
series with the load. The shunt is a very low resistance high current
device, and a voltmeter reads the voltage drop across the resistance,
calibrated in amps."
To which you stupidly replied"Till you understand electricity please
stop spouting rubbish."

I DO understand electricity - as well as you do. I didn't say just ANY
ammeter can be used - quite obviously you use the right sized tool for
the job. You argue just to hear the sound of your pitiful voice.

I explained what a shunt ameter is and how it works - I commonly used
350 amp external shunt ammeters - as well as 3.5 amp external shunts .
All you could do is dissagree. Grow up.