Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Why does microwave trip breaker?

On 12/12/2013 10:48 AM, micky wrote:
A friend with a Panasonic microwave, Inverter model, physcially a big
one, says it is tripping the circuit breaker after about 5 minutes of
running.

They've reset the breaker several times and it's the same each time.

What's your best guess?

I havent' looked at it yet, but my best guess from afar is that some
of the primary windings in the transformer have shorted, and thus the
impedance of the primary has decreased and it's drawing more current
than it should, more than 15 amps. Does this sound reasonable? If
not reasonable, then possible?

They may have other devices on the breaker which they should remove.

If there are NO other devices on that circuit and you do not have an AC
ammeter, temporarily try the microwave on some completely different
circuit. If that circuit breaker blows too, then the microwave may very
well be bad. OTOH: If it does not blow, then the breaker is weak OR the
wiring going to it is loose or burned and getting hot!