Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electonics.repair

Default Why does microwave trip breaker?

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:22:24 +1100, John G
wrote:

explained on 14/12/2013 :
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:28:48 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:07:53 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:50:04 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/13/2013 9:34 AM, micky wrote:
AC clamp on ammeter only goes around one of the
power wires (power or neutral). As such, we use
a splitter, so you can clamp one of the wires
but not the other. If you clamp the entire
microwave cord, you read zero amps of current.

Oh, yeah. I get it.

I used to have a clamp-on attachment, but I bought a cheap clamp-on
meter from HF and sold the attachment for a dollar at a hamfest.
STill haven't used that either. But I probably will if I live long
enough.

I use ammeter, now and again while working on equipment.
Can be very useful information.

Hmmm,
AC ammeter, Wow! when you use it do you cut the wires to put in the
circuit or connect to breaker(switch) terminals for the equipment under
test.
Easy to make an adapter to put an ammeter inline - just make a short
extension cord with one of the wires cut and brought out to connect
the ammeter. - makes it a "plug in ammeter"

Actually no. The current involved in house wiring is too high to put
in series with a meter.

********. A shunt ammeter can handle hundreds of amps in series with
the load. The shunt is a very low resistance high current device, and
a voltmeter reads the voltage drop across the resistance, calibrated
in amps.

Till you understand electricity please stop spouting rubbish.

An ammeter can only safely handle its rated current.
Yes, the shunt is a low resistance but it is only big enough to handle
the rated current.
ie a 5 amp meter will have a shunt or be intenally capable of carrying
5 amps plus a margin for overload safety.
It will explode at "hundreds of amps"

The previous poster said "Actually no. The current involved in
house wiring is too high to put in series with a meter." to which I
replied"********. A shunt ammeter can handle hundreds of amps in
series with the load. The shunt is a very low resistance high current
device, and a voltmeter reads the voltage drop across the resistance,
calibrated in amps."
To which you stupidly replied"Till you understand electricity please
stop spouting rubbish."

I DO understand electricity - as well as you do. I didn't say just ANY
ammeter can be used - quite obviously you use the right sized tool for
the job. You argue just to hear the sound of your pitiful voice.

I explained what a shunt ameter is and how it works - I commonly used
350 amp external shunt ammeters - as well as 3.5 amp external shunts .
All you could do is dissagree. Grow up.