Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SQUIRREL IN ATTIC

I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control
company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a
ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service and how long it
might take. Any body have any experiences with this problem?

thanks,

Freckles

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 5:58:16 AM UTC-5, Freckles wrote:
I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control

company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a

ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service and how long it

might take. Any body have any experiences with this problem?

thanks,

Freckles

First find out where it is coming in then put up a door for it to leave without re entry. THen make sure the trees are trimmed away from the house. We want war to destroy the religious government and to separate the illegal alien church from the state.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/07/2013 04:58 AM, Freckles wrote:
I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control
company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a
ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service and how long
it might take. Any body have any experiences with this problem?

thanks,

Freckles

Yes, I had the same problem.

In my community it is illegal to kill a squirrel, so live traps are used.

If you get an exterminator they will charge you per visit.

Thirty years ago, when I called them, it was $65 a visit, I'm sure it's
a lot more now.

The best thing to do is just buy a live trap and catch the squirrel
yourself...then relocate it ten miles away. If you only relocate it a
mile or two away , it will come back.

Once you are positive there is no squirrel in your attic, patch the hole
with sheet metal.

BTW: Before I knew it was illegal to kill a squirrel I had quite a few
in the attic and called an exterminator assuming they'd poison them or
kill them in some other way. The only problem I had was trying to
explain this to my five year old daughter.

I tried the slow and gentle approach:

Say, I need to talk to you. We have squirrels in the attic.

My daughter's eyes got real big, then she yelled, "Shoot them daddy!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2013 8:24 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

Laws vary on trap and release.
Here you can trap the animal and kill it but not release it elsewhere.
I trap and release anyway. Once in front of a cop and he did not say
anything.

I would trap and seal openings or if the squirrel is out, just seal
openings. One of my sons had a squirrel get trapped and die in his
chimney liner and ended up paying nearly $1,000 in its removal and repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is a nice easy tutorial on building a squirrel zapper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b942KR1hrFc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 08:51:21 -0500, Frank
wrote:

[...]

ROFLOLWTIME. I'm going to tell this one to friends.

Laws vary on trap and release.
Here you can trap the animal and kill it but not release it elsewhere.
I trap and release anyway. Once in front of a cop and he did not say
anything.

Curious. If you knew it was illegal, why did you take the risk of
doing it in front of a cop?

I would trap and seal openings or if the squirrel is out, just seal
openings. One of my sons had a squirrel get trapped and die in his
chimney liner and ended up paying nearly $1,000 in its removal and repairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2013 5:58 AM, Freckles wrote:
I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control
company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a
ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service and how long
it might take. Any body have any experiences with this problem?

thanks,

Freckles

No idea, but adding to the stories of squirrels in the attic. In my old
townhouse, I had a hole in the soffit and could periodically hear
squirrels scampering around in the floored attic. My approach was to
turn on my whole house fan which seemed to scare them back where they
came from. I eventually had the soffit repaired. Then when I sold the
house, I decided that since I hadn't searched for anything stored in the
attic for 4-5 years, I just had a junk company empty it out. I was
downstairs when I heard one guy shout "rat". They didn't say anything to
me when they collected the payment so I asked, and they said they'd
found some sort of skeleton in the attic. Without fur on it they didn't
know if it was a squirrel or rat. I told them I preferred to believe it
was a squirrel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:00:10 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 11:56:21 -0500, Lee B
wrote:

[...]

A squirrel is just a rat with a bushy tail and a publicist

Precisely. I even call them bushy-tail-rats when SWBMO and I talk
about them. They can have the woods. If they come closer, they're
dead. The bunnies and deer can have the back yard, even. ;-)

Crows and gulls are just rats with wings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I did not know it was illegal at the time.
I had taken the squirrel to a wooded county police substation near the
park where a cop was getting out of his car and I told him I had come
there to release a prisoner and proceeded to do so and he said nothing.

Found out later from an article in the paper.

I tried to drown the last raccoon that I trapped, filled an old plastic
garbage can with water and it collapsed before I could put the trap in.
Figured God wanted him to live so I released him in the park.

I've had squirrel problems before. Iffy but occasionally a large rat
snap trap will work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's the sort of thing my mother would say. She said she didn't
see the difference between a squrrel and a rat.

It took me years to thihk of a comeback and now it's too late to ask
her, What is the difference between an ugly man and a good-looking
man? (or woman?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Freckles wrote:
I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control
company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a
ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service and how
long it might take. Any body have any experiences with this problem?

Cut back any trees that make it possible for him to get up to the roof. HE can
jump down, but won't be able to get back up. An obstacle on wires could be
needed also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 13:01:49 -0500, micky
wrote in Re SQUIRREL
IN ATTIC:

What is the difference between an ugly man and a good-looking
man?

From a woman's perspective: $$$

Guess which one has it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 15:50:17 -0600, CRNG
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 13:01:49 -0500, micky
wrote in Re SQUIRREL
IN ATTIC:

What is the difference between an ugly man and a good-looking
man?

From a woman's perspective: $$$

Guess which one has it.

The one with the woman.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Squirrels can jump 8 feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 10:29:05 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Freckles wrote:
I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control
company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a
ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service and how
long it might take. Any body have any experiences with this problem?

Cut back any trees that make it possible for him to get up to the roof. HE can
jump down, but won't be able to get back up. An obstacle on wires could be
needed also.

Wow, thanks, you just reminded me that I should trim a tree and some
bushes. The tree is outside my property, and the tree trimmer hired
by the HOA was trying to cut off anything that was over my property,
and I stopped him. But I shouuld cut the last nnn feet. How far
will they jump to get on a roof?

Not that I have squirrels in my attic, but when I got here 30 years
ago, there were 2 dead birds looking up and out through the pink
fiberglass. I repaired the hole somewhat, but it's not perfect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/07/2013 04:18 PM, Daring Dufas : Hypocrite TeaBillie on welfare wrote:
Squirrels can jump 8 feet.

and not only that, they can climb up just about anything...
but probably not a vinyl sided house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2013 4:18 PM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:

Squirrels can jump 8 feet.

Killer Loon, living proof that human women should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2013 4:18 PM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:

Squirrels can jump 8 feet.

Killer Loon, living proof that human women should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

Don't feed it, maybe it will go away.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2013 10:24 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 12/7/2013 4:18 PM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:

Squirrels can jump 8 feet.

Killer Loon, living proof that human women should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

Don't feed it, maybe it will go away.

Jon

Don't worry, my fanboy will soon tire and go back to a playground where
there are many more of its type hanging out. It is fun to poke it in the
eye every now and then and the fact that it followed me here is proof
that I got under its skin. It is funny though. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 04:58:16 -0600, "Freckles"
wrote:

I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control
company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a
ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service and how long it
might take. Any body have any experiences with this problem?

thanks,

Freckles

You dont need no stinkin pest control guy. Just go in the attic with
your nuts hanging out. The sqirrel will come right to you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can't even get a minimal wage job can you freeloader?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Squirrels can jump 8 feet.

and not only that, they can climb up just about anything...
but probably not a vinyl sided house.

Errr, not so fast there!
They have an open path from the ground to the attic through the hollow
vinyl corner pieces of the building. I had to use the spray foam and
stuff SS steel wool into the bottom of every corner on all 3 vinyl sided
buildings on my property.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2013 9:13 AM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
You can't even get a minimal wage job can you freeloader?

Killer Loon, living proof that human women should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

Hey Killer Loon, you still haven't bragged to everyone about your
fabulous job. What do you produce other than excreta? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 09:48:53 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/8/2013 9:13 AM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
You can't even get a minimal wage job can you freeloader?

Killer Loon, living proof that human women should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

Hey Killer Loon, you still haven't bragged to everyone about your
fabulous job. What do you produce other than excreta? ^_^

TDD

Isn't IT the assistant teacher with a former warrant out; the same one
that kept election signs in the yard two years after the election was
over...whoa!

Don't say the name -poleeeze?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Squirrels can jump 8 feet.

and not only that, they can climb up just about anything...
but probably not a vinyl sided house.

Errr, not so fast there!
They have an open path from the ground to the attic through the hollow
vinyl corner pieces of the building. I had to use the spray foam and
stuff SS steel wool into the bottom of every corner on all 3 vinyl sided
buildings on my property.

Which means they can get up just about anything!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/8/2013 9:13 AM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
You can't even get a minimal wage job can you freeloader?

Killer Loon, living proof that human women should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

Hey Killer Loon, you still haven't bragged to everyone about your
fabulous job. What do you produce other than excreta? ^_^

TDD

Isn't IT the assistant teacher with a former warrant out; the same one
that kept election signs in the yard two years after the election was
over...whoa!

Don't say the name -poleeeze?

No, it's not SK, Killer Loon is one of the younger more vociferous whack
jobs who invaded the gun group. He/she/it hasn't bragged about the job
it holds so I must believe it's a college student or P.L.L.C.F.
operative who often changes its nym to avoid killfiles. SK is proud do
tell everyone his name and doesn't realize that truly patriotic people
support freedom of speech and would never hunt him down to harm him
because of his beliefs. Leftist whack jobs on the other hand are known
for burning down houses and harming those they disagree with. ^_^

Oh yea, SK is an assistant to an assistant teacher. Yep, it's actually a
paid position in some school systems. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the kid who pounds out the erasers after school.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

SK is proud do
tell everyone his name and doesn't realize that truly patriotic people
support freedom of speech and would never hunt him down to harm him
because of his beliefs. Leftist whack jobs on the other hand are known
for burning down houses and harming those they disagree with. ^_^

....so IT must be billybong and doo doo?

Parents can now keep them on health care 'till 26 and give up valuable
shop space in the basement.

Oh yea, SK is an assistant to an assistant teacher. Yep, it's actually a
paid position in some school systems. o_O

TDD

Was the creatures's bench warrant real...taking freedoms with
children?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

SK is proud do
tell everyone his name and doesn't realize that truly patriotic people
support freedom of speech and would never hunt him down to harm him
because of his beliefs. Leftist whack jobs on the other hand are known
for burning down houses and harming those they disagree with. ^_^

...so IT must be billybong and doo doo?

No, it's not Billy and it's not doo doo, I haven't seen them nymshift.
Loon Killer jumps around a lot with many different nyms but it can't
change its writing style.

Parents can now keep them on health care 'till 26 and give up valuable
shop space in the basement.

Oh yea, SK is an assistant to an assistant teacher. Yep, it's actually a
paid position in some school systems. o_O

TDD

Was the creatures's bench warrant real...taking freedoms with
children?

I don't know but he hasn't denied it when I poked him with a sharp
stick. ^_^

TDD