John G

Default Squirrel in the attic/basement.....

besides removing my family and possessions and setting fire to the
place, what can I do to solve this dilemma......?

Rod Dahl

That's an easy one. Go to the hardware store, buy a rat trap....that's
just an oversized mouse trap. Bait it with peanut butter....Choosy
mothers choose JIF. But any will do... the squirrel won't last an hour and
he'll be history!

HeyBub

John G wrote:
besides removing my family and possessions and setting fire to the
place, what can I do to solve this dilemma......?

In many states, you have to have a hunting license and wait for the season
to open. Most squirrel seasons begin around the 1st of September and last
through January.

Kill or bother a squirrel outside those dates and .....

G Henslee

John,

I've heard of people using a jar lid full of antifreeze before. Careful
around pets.

John G wrote:
besides removing my family and possessions and setting fire to the
place, what can I do to solve this dilemma......?

ricardo

"John G" wrote in message
oups.com...
besides removing my family and possessions and setting fire to the
place, what can I do to solve this dilemma......?

If you call animal control at the police dept,
they might bring out a trap for you. They do where
I live. Try to find where they are entering
and fix that or you could be dealing with the same
problem. A tree next to the house may give them
access to the roof.

m Ransley

You have to find the holes after you get them out and seal them up,
look for new holes they will eat their way back in. Kill , trap, poison,
shoot and mothballs in the attic. It can take a long time to get rid of
all of them.

Joseph Meehan

John G wrote:
besides removing my family and possessions and setting fire to the
place, what can I do to solve this dilemma......?

I don't suggest poisoning them. They are a little large for that, the
smell of a decaying squirrel hidden somewhere in a wall is not pleasant and
can last a long time.

I suggest trapping and removing. A professional can handle it is a
short time. They know the places and types of traps that work. They know
the bait that should work in your area at this time of year. From my
personal experience they are not all that expensive.

I suggest you do it really fast, as soon there will be little ones in
the nest and that just complicates things.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ross Mac

"John G" wrote in message
oups.com...
besides removing my family and possessions and setting fire to the
place, what can I do to solve this dilemma......?

Search 2/19 for "friggin squirrels" There were a whole lot of responses that
should help you....Ross

Many of the home center stores or larger hardware stores have the
Hav-a-Hart, box style traps that don't cost
very much. The appropriate size one bated with some peanut butter
should do the
trick.

John

"John G" wrote:

besides removing my family and possessions and setting fire to the
place, what can I do to solve this dilemma......?

I like squirrels and I often give them peanuts etc. so I won't give you advice
how to destroy them. However I don't like them in the house. Once a squirrel got
trapped in the house by dropping through a ventilation shaft. It messed the place
up (not bad) while we were away for the weekend. The ventilation shaft turned
into quite a problem as squirrels would peek and drop. So I built them small
ladders so they could climb back to the roof! The squirrel problem ended right
then and the I would hear a thump as then quick scramble back to the roof.
Squirrels would drop in occasionally but get out just as fast.

Maybe you same a similar problem? The quirrels can get in but have trouble
getting back out. If so just provide the curious georges easy way out.

John Harlow

So I built them small
ladders so they could climb back to the roof! The squirrel problem
ended right then and the I would hear a thump as then quick
scramble back to the roof. Squirrels would drop in occasionally but
get out just as fast.

So - what if they decide to build a nest there, and chew through your wiring
in the meantime?

Matt

Are you kidding?

In addition to the ladders, he also provided them their own breaker box
so they could run their utility circuits without chewing through
anything. 200 amp Cutler/Hammer arc fault GFCI panel as I recall.

I think the plan is eventually the squirrels will launch their own 24/7
interactive video web site.

SQUIRREL FEEDER J T Woodworking 18 May 2nd 05 11:07 PM
Squirrel POS System The Doctor Electronics Repair 0 February 24th 05 12:53 AM
Evil Squirrel Kyle Boatright Home Repair 18 August 26th 04 01:41 PM
Problem: Squirrel in Fireplace Insert! Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 42 January 26th 04 07:56 AM
Best value ($ vs R) home insulation + squirrel troubles. X Home Repair 0 July 1st 03 06:55 PM