Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

Default Noisy squirrel in my attic. How do I get it out?

Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 9:48 am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

If you can throw some mothballs around up there he will soon vacate
and you wont be bothered.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 10:48 am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

Mothballs are a bust. I had one in my attic and he used the mothballs
for a pillow. Sprayed pepper spray in hole during day sealed access
hole with plastic and next morning he was back. Had to set large wire
animal trap every day for about two weeks with peanut butter. Tried
smaller wire trap and he kept getting bait. He got the bait out of the
large trap several times until I fine tuned the trigger and lubricated
it with WD-40.
Was going to shoot him in the face after I caught him but he stood up
on his hind legs held onto the cage like a convict and begged for his
life with quiet little woof sounds. Figured if he was that much of a
man I would relocate him. Closed up hole with temporary patch in case
he wasn't alone but have not had any new squatters. I have several of
the sonic wing dings but they are not effective.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 2:47�pm, Neon John wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:48:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

A couple of years ago I turned my mountain vacation cabin into my home. �The
attic was infested with squirrels. �Several bait boxes of D-con inside the
attic and a nice pellet gun outside took care of the problem in a few weeks. �

I highly recommend both parts of the solution. �Squirrels will eat D-con about
as well as rats do. �And even the most dedicated house-squatters have to come
out to ferriage. �That's where the pellet gun comes in. �There's a nice one
available, complete with scope, at Wallyworld for under $100.

John
--
John De Armond
See my website for my current email addresshttp://www.neon-john.comhttp://www.johndearmond.com-- best little blog on the net!

geez most of you must get you jollies by killing life for no
reason.........

trap and relocate, seal up holes.

its really your own fault for having a insecure building.

d con might leave home stinking for months, if animal dies in wall.

and why is the OP report he sealed off the attic entrance with
concrete and wood?

its a good idea to check places like attics yearly, for roof leaks and
other hazards
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 11:48*am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

*Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

You could try getting him a one way ticket to Argentina.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 10:48*am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

*Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

Use a wire trap and don't relocate the pest. They are clever and
determined so seal up the attic really well.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

NapalmHeart wrote:

Beware. You mustn't shoot squirrels out of season or without a
license.

It all depends on the laws of your state. In my state (MI) you don't
need a license to hunt small game on your own land. Further, if an
animal is a pest it can be dealt with.

Hmm. Makes sense that the state would have facilities for relocating a
destructive deer or moose or even a mountain lion. They certainly do it for
alligators in Florida.*

So, call your state game and fish commission and demand they relocate the
pesky squirrel(s).

That's what your tax money if for (tell them)!

-------
*Though not Louisiana. I recall an interview with the governor of Louisiana
when a reporter suggested that animal preservation activists were opposed to
an open hunting season on alligators.

"Well, son, they don't know nothin' 'bout gators! We's lip-deep in gators
down here! They's lined up on the side of the interstate just a-waitin' for
somebody to have a flat! You gimme the names of some of them folks up in
Massachusetts or wherever and I'll SEND 'em some 'gators. We's got lots!"

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

Makes sense that the state would have facilities for relocating a
destructive deer or moose or even a mountain lion. They certainly do it for alligators in Florida.

offending alligators in florida are all taken away and killed. theres
no where left to relocate them too.........

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

wrote in message
On Apr 29, 10:48 am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

You need to find where he is getting in. Maybe a roof vent .Or rafter
vent . Depending on your construction. Then hang a one way door .Or box
he can only get out of. Like a hinged piece of wood on one end . You
may be able to use nets . Like you do with bats. Once they are all out.
Seal up the hole. Or put new screen on it. If it was me I'd knock the
door blocker down . And have a look around anyways. Shoot them with a
pellet gun maybe.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:45:22 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

geez most of you must get you jollies by killing life for no
reason.........

Well yes, actually I do. Achieving a head shot from 30 yards on a squirrel or
crow or other vermin is quite satisfying. An eye shot is even better.

But that doesn't apply here since squirrels are little more than rats with
fluffy tails and they're being destructive. Ergo, they're killed for a
reason.

trap and relocate, seal up holes.

By "trap and relocate", you're really saying, "catch the vermin and dump him
out elsewhere to become someone else's problem. That's sooooo considerate of
you.

Glad to see you have that kind of time on your hands. I don't. Or more
correctly, I have no time to waste preserving the lives of vermin. This is
misc.rural. You know, the country. The opposite of city. Where folks
eliminate vermin and pests forthright and get on with other things.

As for sealing the holes, well, since the vermin chewed holes in my eaves to
get in the attic in the first place, what would your odds be that sealing the
holes would pose anything more than a minor inconvenience?

d con might leave home stinking for months, if animal dies in wall.

Funny thing about that theory. I've used the stuff all my life and never had
vermin die anywhere that produced an odor that I could smell. My theory is
that the poisoned vermin go outside to die.

I have had a rat or mouse drag a sticky trap back into a wall and die. Even
then, the odor only lasted a day or two.

and why is the OP report he sealed off the attic entrance with
concrete and wood?

Since he didn't solicit your opinion on that topic, I suggest MYOB.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.johndearmond.com -- best little blog on the net!
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

wrote:

[...]

Lemme guess, you grew up in the city in a building that somebody else
maintained and now you've moved to the mountains to live the Snuffy
Smith lifestyle.

You might want to find some of your rural neighbors who grew up there
and find out what they think of your strategy of spending the rest of
your life putting out dcon and shooting squirrels with a pellet gun
instead of FIXING THE DAMNED HOLE. Be prepared to become a
laughingstock.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:44:29 -0700 (PDT), Quaker25
wrote:

On Apr 29, 10:48 am, wrote:
[...]

Good on you for relocating him.

Respects

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

wrote:

[...]

As a general rule, they do. The warfarin makes them seek water which is
usually outside. Of course there are exceptions. I had a house where
the previous owner had gone into the crawl space and placed insulation
under the floor which was "secured" by chicken wire and lathing. A rat
ended up dead and entangled in the stuff. [Ewww doesn't even come close.]

I have had a rat or mouse drag a sticky trap back into a wall and die. Even
then, the odor only lasted a day or two.

and why is the OP report he sealed off the attic entrance with
concrete and wood?

Since he didn't solicit your opinion on that topic, I suggest MYOB.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.johndearmond.com -- best little blog on the net!
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

--
Self-interest, caused by low selfish desire, is the root
cause of contemporary world chaos and individual misery.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

alunimum soffit and fascia should stop re entry........

a loud radio played daily when no one is home would likely drive them
out.

put radio in attic on hard rock channel blast volume, plug in with
extension cord when you are going out..........

bet he or she leaves out of fear.

one shouldnt hurt gods creatures un necessarily

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:37:52 -0400, Neon John wrote:

d con might leave home stinking for months, if animal dies in wall.

Funny thing about that theory. I've used the stuff all my life and never had
vermin die anywhere that produced an odor that I could smell. My theory is
that the poisoned vermin go outside to die.

The toxilogical method of D-Con tends to make the critters very
thirsty, and they head for a source of water.

I used to find them face down, in .5 " of water with great
regularity.

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/16925
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 04:04:42 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

Beware. You mustn't shoot squirrels out of season or without a license.

3S Rule.

Shoot, shove, shutup

I thought it was "Shoot, Shovel, Shutup" :-)

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.johndearmond.com -- best little blog on the net!
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
To have doubted one’s own first principles is the mark of a civilized man -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 06:44:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Lemme guess, you grew up in the city in a building that somebody else
maintained and now you've moved to the mountains to live the Snuffy
Smith lifestyle.

Not a very good guesser. Born and raised in a small town. Owned this cabin
since my mom and I built it in 1970. I am enjoying the, as you call it,
Snuffy Smith lifestyle. Slow paced, friendly neighbors, no TV or other
annoyances, hunting and fishing any time I want, almost zero cost of living,
etc. Don't glow too green with envy.

You might want to find some of your rural neighbors who grew up there
and find out what they think of your strategy of spending the rest of
your life putting out dcon and shooting squirrels with a pellet gun
instead of FIXING THE DAMNED HOLE. Be prepared to become a
laughingstock.

Actually, my neighbors have supplied my ammunition, they're so pleased that
I've ridded the place of vermin. Mine isn't the only place that has been
trashed by the fuzzy-tailed rats. One neighbor, in particular, calls me up
whenever she sees a vermin on the loose, chiding me for dropping the ball on
my job.

Interestingly enough, the same thing happened when I spent a couple of years
living in a city sub-division (never again!). My new neighbor saw me carrying
in an arm-load of rifles and came running. I ducked, thinking I was going to
have to deal with an anti-gun nut. Instead, she introduced herself and the
practically begged me to start killing squirrels. That I did, bagging over
100 out of that little 1 acre wooded back yard.

Tony, my huge orange tabby, had a bountiful feast that summer, eating
everything but the squeak. I started spine-shooting the squirrels so that he
could enjoy the actual kill.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.johndearmond.com -- best little blog on the net!
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
If stupidity hurt then there'd be Aspirin in the salt shakers.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, didn't realize you were a troll.

plonk

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.

git 'er done

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/16925

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

In article ,
Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/16925

ABSOLUTE GENIUS IN ACTION!!!!!

The only thing that could improve it would be a nice brick or concrete
block wall for a landing zone!

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
NapalmHeart wrote:

[...]

Most likely thing here is that the destructive animal would be killed.
A rare animal may be dealt with otherwise, but not necessarily.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

Jack wrote:

On Apr 29, 9:48 am, wrote:

[...]

Get a cat. Mine catches squirrels that are almost twice his size.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 30, 9:02*pm, Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,

*Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/16925

ABSOLUTE GENIUS IN ACTION!!!!!

The only thing that could improve it would be a nice brick or concrete
block wall for a landing zone!

Nothing like a hard landing for the squirelly curmudgeon.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 30, 2:22�pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/16925

terrible cruel, guy is a jerk
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

wrote:

Beware. You mustn't shoot squirrels out of season or without a license.

3S Rule.

Shoot, shove, shutup

I thought it was "Shoot, Shovel, Shutup" :-)

John

ooops....blush

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

Oh! When looking into this group I first saw a complaint of somewhone
about a woodchuck. Same tip for you: Read the description of a selb-
built smoke bomb at instructables.com. Basically a mixture of sugar
and saltpeter. Should smoke a lot - but beware of the smell!

Try it! Maybe you will be happy about having a squirrel. ;-)

virtuPIC
--
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
http://www.airspace-v.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 7:46 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Or where other people find out about it.

The Montana Wolf Reduction Project credo may apply; SSS.

Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

wrote:
Or where other people find out about it.

The Montana Wolf Reduction Project credo may apply; SSS.

Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.

That same credo is being applied here where the artificially imported otters
have absolutely stripped clean the Tellico River. It's heavily stocked during
the season but in the past, fishing was decent even in the off-season. Last
winter, by about January I couldn't chum any trout with anything I tried -
bread dough, corn, etc. The river was sterile. At the same time, the banks
were littered with dead trout that had only their brains and eyes eaten - an
otter hallmark. They kill fish even when they're not hungry, eat the tasty
part and waste the rest. But they sure do make good targets :-)

In this case, the creedo is "SKS"

Shoot, Kick, Shutup. That is, kick the carcass out into the river so it'll
float away and give the catfish and crawdads some fine eating.

Tip: CB caps in the .22 short format are almost silent when fired out of a .22
rifle. Even quieter than a pellet gun. All I hear is the hammer smacking the
firing pin and the bullet smacking home. Absolutely deadly to the otters.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.johndearmond.com -- best little blog on the net!
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
Why the US is losing its competitivve edge:"It used to be that the USA was pretty good at
producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."-James Niccol

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

for launching rodents with cute tails? You've got to be kidding.

wrote in message
On Apr 30, 2:22?pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/16925

terrible cruel, guy is a jerk

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,misc.rural,alt.survival

wrote:
[...]

Don't you have .22 long rifle sub-sonics over there? That's what I have
always used (here in Oz) with a baffle style silencer for small game (and
neighborhood cats) when I wanted to be quiet. BRNO Model 2 with a twelve
inch Billet Baffle silencer, makes no more noise than snapping your
fingers. The sound of the firing pin hitting the cartridge is louder that
the actual shot.

I mostly use it for shooting rabbits (so the sound of the shot doesn't
spook the rest of them) and for killing cats. I have an intense dislike of
cats that are allowed to roam free and kill wildlife. The irresponsible
idiots who own them need a good hard kick up the arse on a regular basis. I
put strong smelling cat treats, sardines, tuna etc., out in my yard and
shoot every cat that comes over my fence. Either that or I put the bait
food in a metal dish on a rubber mat and wire one side of a 240 volt mains
lead to it. They make more noise when I electrocute them though, much
better to shoot them - a clean head shot and they make no sound at all.

JD - in Oz.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Fri, 2 May 2008 22:17:52 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You the guy who wants to know what damage woodchuck do? Try being a farmer.

Skin 'em out, and cook 'em up... Baking bags work well (since they
tend to be kinda tough when they get older).

Retief

Super squirrel deia Home Repair 3 March 2nd 08 09:44 PM
Super squirrel deia Metalworking 0 March 2nd 08 09:13 PM
Squirrel in the attic/basement..... John G Home Repair 11 March 14th 05 06:56 PM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Repair 7 March 31st 04 03:24 AM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Ownership 3 March 30th 04 06:21 PM