Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default SQUIRREL IN ATTIC

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:39:46 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 12/7/2013 10:43 AM, micky wrote:
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 08:51:21 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 12/7/2013 8:24 AM, philo wrote:
On 12/07/2013 04:58 AM, Freckles wrote:
I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control
company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a
ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service and how long
it might take. Any body have any experiences with this problem?

thanks,

Freckles

Yes, I had the same problem.

In my community it is illegal to kill a squirrel, so live traps are used.

If you get an exterminator they will charge you per visit.

Thirty years ago, when I called them, it was $65 a visit, I'm sure it's
a lot more now.

The best thing to do is just buy a live trap and catch the squirrel
yourself...then relocate it ten miles away. If you only relocate it a
mile or two away , it will come back.

Once you are positive there is no squirrel in your attic, patch the hole
with sheet metal.

BTW: Before I knew it was illegal to kill a squirrel I had quite a few
in the attic and called an exterminator assuming they'd poison them or
kill them in some other way. The only problem I had was trying to
explain this to my five year old daughter.

I tried the slow and gentle approach:

Say, I need to talk to you. We have squirrels in the attic.

My daughter's eyes got real big, then she yelled, "Shoot them daddy!"

ROFLOLWTIME. I'm going to tell this one to friends.

Laws vary on trap and release.
Here you can trap the animal and kill it but not release it elsewhere.
I trap and release anyway. Once in front of a cop and he did not say
anything.

Curious. If you knew it was illegal, why did you take the risk of
doing it in front of a cop?

I did not know it was illegal at the time.
I had taken the squirrel to a wooded county police substation near the
park where a cop was getting out of his car and I told him I had come
there to release a prisoner and proceeded to do so and he said nothing.

Found out later from an article in the paper.

I tried to drown the last raccoon that I trapped, filled an old plastic
garbage can with water and it collapsed before I could put the trap in.
Figured God wanted him to live so I released him in the park.

I've had squirrel problems before. Iffy but occasionally a large rat
snap trap will work.

Thanks. Interesting.