Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default SQUIRREL IN ATTIC

On 12/7/2013 8:24 AM, philo wrote:
On 12/07/2013 04:58 AM, Freckles wrote:
I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control
company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a
ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service and how long
it might take. Any body have any experiences with this problem?

thanks,

Freckles

Yes, I had the same problem.

In my community it is illegal to kill a squirrel, so live traps are used.

If you get an exterminator they will charge you per visit.

Thirty years ago, when I called them, it was $65 a visit, I'm sure it's
a lot more now.

The best thing to do is just buy a live trap and catch the squirrel
yourself...then relocate it ten miles away. If you only relocate it a
mile or two away , it will come back.

Once you are positive there is no squirrel in your attic, patch the hole
with sheet metal.

BTW: Before I knew it was illegal to kill a squirrel I had quite a few
in the attic and called an exterminator assuming they'd poison them or
kill them in some other way. The only problem I had was trying to
explain this to my five year old daughter.

I tried the slow and gentle approach:

Say, I need to talk to you. We have squirrels in the attic.

My daughter's eyes got real big, then she yelled, "Shoot them daddy!"

Laws vary on trap and release.
Here you can trap the animal and kill it but not release it elsewhere.
I trap and release anyway. Once in front of a cop and he did not say
anything.

I would trap and seal openings or if the squirrel is out, just seal
openings. One of my sons had a squirrel get trapped and die in his
chimney liner and ended up paying nearly $1,000 in its removal and repairs.