Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using Telephone wire for Electric Range

I have to connect an electric range. The electrician told me I need 6
gauge cable with 4 wires, and needs to be connected to a 60 amp fuse or
breaker. I already have a spare 60 amp fuse thingie that says RANGE on
it, right next to the one that says MAIN. I cant afford to hire the
electrician, and that 6 gauge wire is very expensive. Until I can
afford to buy that wire, after my tax return in April, can I just use
some old telephone wire that I have. It has 4 wires in it and should
reach to the range, if I duct tape the two pieces together? The
telephone wire is gray and has 4 wires inside red, green, yellow, and
black. What color wire goes to what in the range and the fuse box?

Tommy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have to connect an electric range. The electrician told me I need 6
gauge cable with 4 wires, and needs to be connected to a 60 amp fuse or
breaker. I already have a spare 60 amp fuse thingie that says RANGE on
it, right next to the one that says MAIN. I cant afford to hire the
electrician, and that 6 gauge wire is very expensive. Until I can
afford to buy that wire, after my tax return in April, can I just use
some old telephone wire that I have. It has 4 wires in it and should
reach to the range, if I duct tape the two pieces together? The
telephone wire is gray and has 4 wires inside red, green, yellow, and
black. What color wire goes to what in the range and the fuse box?

Tommy

Merrily we troll along
G C
Troll along, troll along
Merrily we troll along,
G C
O'er the World Wide Web.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:19:39 -0500, Bill
wrote:

green is tip, red is ring
black and yellow are used for the dial light

It might be easier to get a cordless phone.

Home Guy, aka, Caulking Gunn, is trolling again.

Perhaps even smoking the same crack pipe with Rob Ford in Toronto.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 4:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
[...]

black = black
red = red
green = ground
yellow = neutral.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

As part of the new national spy on everyone program your name and all personal info has been shared with your insurance company, who will cancel all your insurance. plus your neighbors and friends since you are obviously a neighborhood hazard.

the building inspector, fire marshall, will be visiting. meanwhile if you have any children they will become wards of the state, and you and everyone in your home will be sterilized, so you cant reproduce..

dont laugh this day is fast approaching
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

green is tip, red is ring
black and yellow are used for the dial light

It might be easier to get a cordless phone.

Home Guy, aka, Caulking Gunn, is trolling again.

Perhaps even smoking the same crack pipe with Rob Ford in Toronto.

Sure, but bill's answer was perfect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 5:44 PM, bob haller wrote:
As part of the new national spy on everyone program

your name and all personal info has been shared with
your insurance company, who will cancel all your
insurance. plus your neighbors and friends since
you are obviously a neighborhood hazard.

the building inspector, fire marshall, will be

visiting. meanwhile if you have any children they
will become wards of the state, and you and every
one in your home will be sterilized, so you cant
reproduce..

dont laugh this day is fast approaching

Big brother double plus ungood!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 03:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

black = black
red = red
green = ground
yellow = neutral.

And put some white tape around the yellow wire, at each end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 05:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Big brother double plus ungood!

According to the rules of Newspeak, the above is a completely
meaningless statement :-)

--
37 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." [Voltaire]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:44:09 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

As part of the new national spy on everyone program your name and all personal info has been shared with your insurance company, who will cancel all your insurance. plus your neighbors and friends since you are obviously a neighborhood hazard.

the building inspector, fire marshall, will be visiting. meanwhile if you have any children they will become wards of the state, and you and everyone in your home will be sterilized, so you cant reproduce..

dont laugh this day is fast approaching

So don't drink the "Kook-Aid", follow or vote for those that practice
the rules of radicals, or even a community organizer with Marxist
leanings that can't make a decision or take responsibility for
*anything* and always blames HIS problems on someone else.
Senior Member

You're wanting to use telephone wire to connect a range?

I don't see a problem there.

What could go wrong?

Last edited by nestork : November 19th 13 at 04:55 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It might be easier to get a cordless phone.

Sure, but bill's answer was perfect.

Did Bill mean a cordless range?

Could be, my gas range is cordless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It might be easier to get a cordless phone.

Sure, but bill's answer was perfect.

Did Bill mean a cordless range?

Could be, my gas range is cordless.

You better check again. I'm sure there's a cord for lights of some
sort. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It might be easier to get a cordless phone.

Sure, but bill's answer was perfect.

Did Bill mean a cordless range?

Yes, but tip and ring must not be reversed on a 2-phase phone system or the bell won't ring when the roast is done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/18/2013 03:52 PM, wrote:
I have to connect an electric range. The electrician told me I need 6
gauge cable with 4 wires, and needs to be connected to a 60 amp fuse or
breaker. I already have a spare 60 amp fuse thingie that says RANGE on
it, right next to the one that says MAIN. I cant afford to hire the
electrician, and that 6 gauge wire is very expensive. Until I can
afford to buy that wire, after my tax return in April, can I just use
some old telephone wire that I have. It has 4 wires in it and should
reach to the range, if I duct tape the two pieces together? The
telephone wire is gray and has 4 wires inside red, green, yellow, and
black. What color wire goes to what in the range and the fuse box?

Tommy

green is tip, red is ring

Story time: I've known the sentence above since I was 10 years old,
wrt telephones. Until this year, I thought it meant that the ring
signal came in on the red (useful for party lines, in their later
implementation iiuc when only one phone on the line would ring
depending on who was being called. Maybe for the second party the
ring was the yellow or black) and the green tipped the balance in some
way.

I'm 66 and after 47 years, I finally learned this year that the tip is
the tip of the phone plug and the ring is the ring shaped part of the
plug behind the tip. For this alone, it was worth living this long.

black and yellow are used for the dial light

It might be easier to get a cordless phone.

Or a cordless cook range.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 7:09 AM, micky wrote:
Story time: I've known the sentence above since I was 10 years old,
wrt telephones. Until this year, I thought it meant that the ring
signal came in on the red (useful for party lines, in their later
implementation iiuc when only one phone on the line would ring
depending on who was being called. Maybe for the second party the
ring was the yellow or black) and the green tipped the balance in some
way.

I'm 66 and after 47 years, I finally learned this year that the tip is
the tip of the phone plug and the ring is the ring shaped part of the
plug behind the tip. For this alone, it was worth living this long.

Amazing, how the same terms mean different things. One ringy dingy!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 20:04:25 -0700, Doug Miller
wrote:

...snip....

You're about four and a half months too early for this post. April 1st
is over that way ----.

How many postings has this thread gotten? This thread has been one of the
most successful trollings I've ever seen!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 10:04 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

How many postings has this thread gotten? This thread has been one of
the most successful trollings I've ever seen!

It's been a bit like watching a bloody traffic
wreck, watching the swinging contest on how to
name, and describe the phase of power coming
into a house. I'm remembering Tom Lehrer and his
comments about people who endlessly bemoan the
fact that they can't communicate.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 18, 2013 5:06:40 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Sure, but bill's answer was perfect.

....for wiring a Princess phone!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:09:03 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:

I'm 66 and after 47 years, I finally learned this year that the tip is

the tip of the phone plug and the ring is the ring shaped part of the

plug behind the tip. For this alone, it was worth living this long.

Can I assume you mean the plug the operators used to make a connection?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using Telephone tip and ring

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:32:35 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/19/2013 11:27 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:09:03 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:

I'm 66 and after 47 years, I finally learned this year that the tip is

the tip of the phone plug and the ring is the ring shaped part of the

plug behind the tip. For this alone, it was worth living this long.

Can I assume you mean the plug the operators used to make a connection?

More recently called "quarter inch phono" plugs.

I'm aware of what they are called today...I was interested in the history behind them (tip and ring).
I'm old enough to have had two aunts that used those plugs at Bell Telephone.
And seeing them in old movies...they look larger than one quarter inch...but I wouldn't bet money at this point!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:14:43 -0700, Bob_Villa wrote:

...snip....
And seeing them in old movies...they look larger than one quarter
inch...but I wouldn't bet money at this point!

People were smaller then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

...snip....

You're about four and a half months too early for this post. April 1st
is over that way ----.

How many postings has this thread gotten? This thread has been one of the
most successful trollings I've ever seen!

I wouldn't label this as a successful troll because no one took the OP
seriously, there is no discord, no arguments, no upset members of this
group.

It doesn't fit the definition of a successful troll since the vast majority
of the responses are in jest. A real troll must be a deliberate act to ****
people off or, at a minimum, believable enough for people to respond
seriously, even if they don't get mad.

This one was way too obvious for anyone to think it was a real question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:17:00 AM UTC-6, Robert Macy wrote:
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:14:43 -0700, Bob_Villa wrote:

...snip....

And seeing them in old movies...they look larger than one quarter

inch...but I wouldn't bet money at this point!

People were smaller then.

....and the screen was large in the theater! (I was in the front row)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Any one here using Outlook Express? Can you tell me how to plonk people like
the OP on this topic. So I won't see them again. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 18, 2013 8:20:03 PM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
I spent just about all day at the emergency intake at the Miseracordia

Hospital here in Winnipeg. When I finally got in to see a doctor, he

gave me some great advice. He told me to try to remember the number on

the ball. That way, if I pooped one out, I could tell if it was mine.

The guy is smart. I never would have thought of that.

I went to the same guy. I'd been to several doctors with my stabbing eye pains after drinking coffee. I thought it must be some kind of allergy they could treat.

They all told me the same thing, if coffee bothers you don't drink it. Well, doh, but I like coffee.

But not the Winnipeg guy. That dude was SMART! He told me just take the spoon out of the cup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:21:08 -0700, "WW"
wrote:

Any one here using Outlook Express? Can you tell me how to plonk people like
the OP on this topic. So I won't see them again. WW

I am not familiar with OE, but his message headers are a dead giveaway
when he trolls and nym-shifts. This is Home Guy from Canada. Just
here to start some ****.

If OE can display his headers, just ignore him. Look for two things:

He cannot hide, and people can see him. He also uses Netscape
Navigator on a Windows 98 system.

He hates America, but when he wants to fix "trailer home"; where does
he come for advice -- to the Americans.

(Hey Home Guy, go **** yourself. Click!)

--
....our great nation is under attack by termites...attacking the foundation - Louisiana Senator Elbert Guillory
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:12:32 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

On Monday, November 18, 2013 8:20:03 PM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
I spent just about all day at the emergency intake at the Miseracordia

Hospital here in Winnipeg. When I finally got in to see a doctor, he

gave me some great advice. He told me to try to remember the number on

the ball. That way, if I pooped one out, I could tell if it was mine.

The guy is smart. I never would have thought of that.

I went to the same guy. I'd been to several doctors with my stabbing eye pains after drinking coffee. I thought it must be some kind of allergy they could treat.

They all told me the same thing, if coffee bothers you don't drink it. Well, doh, but I like coffee.

But not the Winnipeg guy. That dude was SMART! He told me just take the spoon out of the cup.

....we had a guy that kept making constant sick-call, trying to get to
a female PA-C. He was complaining, one day about his constant
erection.

Thresa called in Walt ( a big guy) . Walt gloved up, made the guy
bend over the exam table and did a digital intrusion.

It must have cured the guy as he stopped going to sick-call everyday.
--
....our great nation is under attack by termites...attacking the foundation - Louisiana Senator Elbert Guillory
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 12:17 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:14:43 -0700, Bob_Villa wrote:

...snip....
And seeing them in old movies...they look larger than one quarter
inch...but I wouldn't bet money at this point!

People were smaller then.

Before Global Warming, the snow

_______
was THIS / high.

Five miles to school [ ].

Who can finish the cliche?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 3:21 PM, WW wrote:

Any one here using Outlook Express? Can you tell me how to plonk people
like the OP on this topic. So I won't see them again. WW

I used to. Try click message. Slide down, click "block sender".

--
..
Christopher A. Young