Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob_Villa Bob_Villa is offline

Default Using Telephone tip and ring

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:32:35 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/19/2013 11:27 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:09:03 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:

I'm 66 and after 47 years, I finally learned this year that the tip is

the tip of the phone plug and the ring is the ring shaped part of the

plug behind the tip. For this alone, it was worth living this long.

Can I assume you mean the plug the operators used to make a connection?

More recently called "quarter inch phono" plugs.

I'm aware of what they are called today...I was interested in the history behind them (tip and ring).
I'm old enough to have had two aunts that used those plugs at Bell Telephone.
And seeing them in old movies...they look larger than one quarter inch...but I wouldn't bet money at this point!