Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Using Telephone wire for Electric Range

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:52:31 -0600, wrote:

I have to connect an electric range. The electrician told me I need 6
gauge cable with 4 wires, and needs to be connected to a 60 amp fuse or
breaker. I already have a spare 60 amp fuse thingie that says RANGE on
it, right next to the one that says MAIN. I cant afford to hire the
electrician, and that 6 gauge wire is very expensive. Until I can
afford to buy that wire, after my tax return in April, can I just use
some old telephone wire that I have. It has 4 wires in it and should
reach to the range, if I duct tape the two pieces together? The
telephone wire is gray and has 4 wires inside red, green, yellow, and
black. What color wire goes to what in the range and the fuse box?

Tommy

The red is hot and the black is ground. If you connect those wires to
the stove, you should be able to cook on the wires themselves for a
while, until they melt.