Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - phone marketers

Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit
card processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the
murder scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these
drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and
might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I
should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 9:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I
should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

Monday 10:48 AM
"May I speak to the owner, this is an investigation
about some past due accounts."
"No, he's out of town for a couple weeks, won't be
in until just before Christmas."

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 18, 2013 9:49:19 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/18/2013 9:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I

should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

Monday 10:48 AM

"May I speak to the owner, this is an investigation

about some past due accounts."

"No, he's out of town for a couple weeks, won't be

in until just before Christmas."

--

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

Couldn't wait even an hour...had to answer your own post! WTF, read a book or get a job with HFH, or something!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 10:59 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Couldn't wait even an hour...had to answer your

own post! WTF, read a book or get a job with HFH,
or something!

Sorry, I'm not at my desk right now. Would you
like to leave a message?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit
card processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the
murder scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these
drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and
might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I
should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I keep getting calls wanting me to carry extended warranty on my car. I now
tell them I no longer have a car and they say OK will remove you from theses
calls. It is several different company's so I will keep this up until calls
cease. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 12:46 PM, WW wrote:
I keep getting calls wanting me to carry extended

warranty on my car. I now tell them I no longer
have a car and they say OK will remove you from
theses calls. It is several different company's
so I will keep this up until calls cease. WW

=============================

I hope they do stop, but I doubt they will.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 12:46 PM, WW wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit
card processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the
murder scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these
drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and
might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I
should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

I've not gotten the car warranty for years. Last time, I strung the guy
out. I told him I had a '91 Buick Regal and it has 192,000 miles. Yep,
that warranty sounds real good since I paid $3500 for the car just a
couple of weeks ago.

I could hear the guy choking back a laugh, but he pressed forward, so I
did too. He gave me a price and I agreed. Then he had to figure out how
to get paid. Nope, I don't have a credit card, it is maxed out and
late. Nope, no checking account. Can you stop by on pay day and I'll
give you cash, half now, half next week?
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit card
processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the murder
scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these drones. Time
wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and might be interested
in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I should play along, and see
how much of their time I can waste?

This is my response.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...u=3733 343635

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 12:05 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 11/18/2013 12:46 PM, WW wrote:
I keep getting calls wanting me to carry extended

warranty on my car. I now tell them I no longer
have a car and they say OK will remove you from
theses calls. It is several different company's
so I will keep this up until calls cease. WW

=============================

I hope they do stop, but I doubt they will.

Sweet jumping Jesus on a pogo stick. . .

Son - these are criminals you're dealing with. As in, they are
knowingly and willfully breaking the law. At the very least, they're
violating the DNC list right and left. Plus, most of these
telemarketers are not legitimate businesses. selling legitimate
products or services. They are scammers out to make a quick buck.

I repeat. These are *criminals*.

So why, why, WHY do you think they'll quit breaking the law if you
just ask them nicely?

Breaking the law is what they do. They're not going to change because
you asked them to please stop doing that.

Don't waste your breath on them. Just hang up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 15:49:54 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

Don't waste your breath on them. Just hang up.

I seldom use or answer the house phone unless I'm expecting a call or
use the phone for calling family.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 4:49 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I hope they do stop, but I doubt they will.

Sweet jumping Jesus on a pogo stick. . .

Son - these are criminals you're dealing with. As in, they are knowingly
and willfully breaking the law. At the very least, they're violating the
DNC list right and left. Plus, most of these telemarketers are not
legitimate businesses. selling legitimate products or services. They are
scammers out to make a quick buck.

I repeat. These are *criminals*.

So why, why, WHY do you think they'll quit breaking the law if you just
ask them nicely?

Breaking the law is what they do. They're not going to change because
you asked them to please stop doing that.

Don't waste your breath on them. Just hang up.

There is great wisdom in what you write. I'd desire,
as a service to others, to keep them occupied as long
as I can. I figure they will harass 4,900 people today
instead of 5,000, thus sparing 100 people the grief.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 3:04 PM, tom wrote:

drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and
might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I
should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

This is my response.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...u=3733 343635

Mine:

http://www.motivators.com/images/pro...istleGreen.jpg

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 9:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit
card processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the
murder scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these
drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and
might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I
should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

One of my pet peeves.

Our government is recording all calls phone numbers looking for
terrorists but does not stop these thieves. I never expect to encounter
a terrorist but have to put up with one or more of these crooks every day.

My best response was one to the guy who had a Nigerian type accent and
wanted to know what time I would be home so they could deliver the $3
million from Publishers Central bureau. I told him I was having a very
difficult time understanding him and wondered if there was someone there
I might understand. He fumbled around and I asked if I could speak to a
white person. All of a sudden this friendly guy turned and I could
almost feel the wires burning as I hung up.

I was going to try it again yesterday to the woman that called from
Microsoft about my computer virus but she hung up before I got to the
punch line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 19:35:11 -0500, Frank
wrote:

[...]

My cell phone just rang. From area code "514". I did not answer it.

Looked it up on the web, and it appears to be a scam. Look at the
comments....below.

http://thetipsy.com/area-code-514/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:48:05 -0800, Oren wrote:

My cell phone just rang. From area code "514". I did not answer it.

Looked it up on the web, and it appears to be a scam. Look at the
comments....below.

http://thetipsy.com/area-code-514/

Oops. My mistake. The area code was "541" - still nobody I know in
that area. Sorry.

I need better eyes
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G1Wqw_0u-U

--
Wes Groleau

In any formula, constants (especially those obtained
from handbooks) are to be treated as variables.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit card
processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the murder
scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these drones. Time
wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and might be interested
in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I should play along, and see
how much of their time I can waste?

Just say you will bebackina minute.

& then just leave the phone off the hook.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-18-2013, 18:02, Stormin Mormon wrote:
There is great wisdom in what you write. I'd desire,
as a service to others, to keep them occupied as long
as I can. I figure they will harass 4,900 people today
instead of 5,000, thus sparing 100 people the grief.

And then have someone say "Got the trace!" and then you say
"Thanks for staying on the line, sucker!"

--
Wes Groleau

€œStatistics are like bikinis.
What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.€
€” Aaron Levenstein

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHmAYLVZJM4

--
Wes Groleau

A bureaucrat is someone who cuts red tape lengthwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 2:22 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G1Wqw_0u-U

Wonder if she wants to visit me for a
couple days? That would be nice, to put
the card processing people in their place.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 9:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:48:05 -0800, Oren wrote:

My cell phone just rang. From area code "514". I did not answer it.

Looked it up on the web, and it appears to be a scam. Look at the
comments....below.

http://thetipsy.com/area-code-514/

Oops. My mistake. The area code was "541" - still nobody I know in
that area. Sorry.

I need better eyes

I do some business over the home phone and answer all calls. Consulting
I do can be for anywhere in the world.

But, I have a 2nd land line, used for business but put it out as my fax
number and usually don't answer it. I get an unsolicited fax at least
once a week. Imagine the millions of wasted paper and ink from these
junk faxes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-19-2013, 09:33, Frank wrote:
But, I have a 2nd land line, used for business but put it out as my fax
number and usually don't answer it. I get an unsolicited fax at least
once a week. Imagine the millions of wasted paper and ink from these
junk faxes.

That's illegal too in USA. $1500 fine for each page of unsolicited FAX.
Of course, you have to help the government prove it.

--
Wes Groleau

People would have more leisure time if it weren't
for all the leisure-time activities that use it up.
€” Peg Bracken

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Does no one know about the Do Not Call Registry?

https://www.donotcall.gov/

--
Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:26:59 -0700, willshak wrote:

...snip...

https://www.donotcall.gov/

not april 1st yet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 11:40 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-19-2013, 09:33, Frank wrote:
But, I have a 2nd land line, used for business but put it out as my fax
number and usually don't answer it. I get an unsolicited fax at least
once a week. Imagine the millions of wasted paper and ink from these
junk faxes.

That's illegal too in USA. $1500 fine for each page of unsolicited FAX.
Of course, you have to help the government prove it.

I've mailed them to the government and reported them online but they
persist. A lot of these faxes are coming from outside the US where they
are safe to operate. Reporting these faxes is ****ing in the wind.

My original gripe is that with the US government monitoring every call
in the US and probably throughout the world, they should know exactly
what is happening and easily put a stop to it. Maybe they can't go to
Jamaica to arrest people but they should be able to get their calls
blocked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 12:26 PM, willshak wrote:
harryagain wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit
card processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the
murder scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these
drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and
might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I
should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

Just say you will bebackina minute.

& then just leave the phone off the hook.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

If only that actually worked.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 14:03:09 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

If only that actually worked.

but, But, BUT. The government is trying to help
Posted to alt.home.repair

harryagain wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit
card processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the
murder scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these
drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and
might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I
should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

Just say you will bebackina minute.

& then just leave the phone off the hook.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

If only that actually worked.

nate

It's ignored and most calls probably don't originate in the US.

Reminds me of a while back when I traced cold calls from Canada, I tried
to get on their registry but was refused.

I assume cold callers in the US bug Canadians and vice versa with impunity.

I don't waste my time trying to stop cold calls but do things for my own
amusement like ask to speak to a white person just to annoy them.
My wife said I could be sued for some of the stuff I say to them. I
told her, if I was, I'd be a national hero with millions coming to my
defense

Posted to alt.home.repair

harryagain wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit
card processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the
murder scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these
drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and
might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I
should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

Just say you will bebackina minute.

& then just leave the phone off the hook.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

If only that actually worked.

nate

Does it not work for you?
It's worked for me since I registered when it first came out 9 years ago.
I have not gotten any telemarketing calls in all that time.
I also have a non-published phone number.

--
Bill
Senior Member

What I do with telemarketers is just say:

Excuse me, but I was brought up to believe that it's impolite to hang up on someone.

However, I have already told you that I'm not interested in what you're selling, but you just keep talking about the same thing, and so I don't see that I have any other option.

Click.

Last edited by nestork : November 19th 13 at 08:04 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 3:01 PM, nestork wrote:

What I do with telemarketers is just say:

Excuse me, but I was brought up to believe that it's impolite to hang up
on someone.

However, I have already told you that I'm not interested in what you're
selling, but you just keep talking about the same thing, and so I don't
see that I have any other option.

Click.

With me, a simple GFY suffices before I hang up
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"willshak" wrote in message
harryagain wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit
card processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the
murder scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these
drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and
might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I
should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?

Just say you will bebackina minute.

& then just leave the phone off the hook.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Completely impotent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:27:19 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHmAYLVZJM4

LMAO ... trained salmon ... they can play ping pong,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per willshak:
https://www.donotcall.gov/

Does it not work for you?
It's worked for me since I registered when it first came out 9 years ago.
I have not gotten any telemarketing calls in all that time.

Count your blessings. It used to work for me too. No more.

And I have a stack of lame letters from the Penna Atty General's office
effect of "The world has moved on. These guys are now offshore hiding
behind VOIP, sometimes with multiple hops and there's nothing we can
do."

I would disagree with the last thought, but it seems clear that the DNC
lists are on their way to being history.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

And I have a stack of lame letters from the Penna Atty General's office
effect of "The world has moved on. These guys are now offshore hiding
behind VOIP, sometimes with multiple hops and there's nothing we can
do."

That is one of the reasons that I stopped complaining to the AG.
Found that they were mostly just getting local mom and poppers who were
too dumb to know about it. The only exception to that was the local
roofers who called 6 times after the second time I asked them to take me
off their list. I figured they deserved to have the world brought down
around their ears.
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit card
processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the murder
scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these drones. Time
wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and might be interested
in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I should play along, and see
how much of their time I can waste?

If you've got a puter modem with Caller ID: http://www.phonetray.com/

http://www.beiley.com/acallerid/index.html

I use this. It happens to work for me...but apparently not everyone:

http://www.amazon.com/PRO-Call-Block...o+call+blocker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/13 09:33 am, Frank wrote:

I do some business over the home phone and answer all calls. Consulting
I do can be for anywhere in the world.

But, I have a 2nd land line, used for business but put it out as my fax
number and usually don't answer it. I get an unsolicited fax at least
once a week. Imagine the millions of wasted paper and ink from these
junk faxes.

We don't have a fax machine connected but occasionally get calls that
are obviously attempts to send faxes. A couple of the most recent ones
turned out to be -- when I Googled the number -- from a business
offering a service that claimed to prevent one from receiving unwanted
calls!

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 3:30 PM, Frank wrote:
However, I have already told you that I'm not interested in what you're
selling, but you just keep talking about the same thing, and so I don't
see that I have any other option.

Click.

With me, a simple GFY suffices before I hang up

After saying no to one pushy female, three times.
Gave her a shot on the police whistle and hung up.
she called back eight or nine times in a row (call
ID is helpful). About a day later, there is a
message on my answering machine suggesting I
should get professional help. I don't take
advice like that from pushy, clueless idiots
who don't take a hint.

--
..
Christopher A. Young