Posted to alt.home.repair

Default kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day. What are my rights?

Anonymous caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_8010 example.com
wrote:

kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several
times a day. What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they
climb the fence. What can I do?

Bring the ball inside.

Use a WebCam or whatever camera to record the events.

Charge them for it. Start small and increase the amount until
it reduces the number of mis-hits. If they have no money, they can
ask their parents. If they get nasty, get nasty in return. I like
the suggestion of taking the air out of the ball, too. That will
at least make them think about what they're doing and require them
to have a pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.usenet,free.spirit

The guy is trying to protect his garden.
People have a right to private property, at least here in the United States.

Nobody needs to hear this thing's life story...

From: Tony Hwang dragon40 shaw.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 19:02:13 -0700

wrote:

kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several
times a day. What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they
climb the fence. What can I do?

Bring the ball inside.

Use a WebCam or whatever camera to record the events.

Charge them for it. Start small and increase the amount until
it reduces the number of mis-hits. If they have no money, they can
ask their parents. If they get nasty, get nasty in return. I like
the suggestion of taking the air out of the ball, too. That will
at least make them think about what they're doing and require them
to have a pump.

Hmmm,
I sure don't want to have one like you as a neighbor. Once my window got
broken by misthrown baseball from kidss playing caatch ball in the
Cul de Sac. I just had it replaced and told the kid to be more careful
and if it happens again he has to pay for the damage.

All kids are grown now and heading to college/university. We are always
on friendly terms. If ball came into my yard I just told them to come
andfind it themselves. How much damage can they cause walking on the
lawn and beating bushes?

Once my dog ran away when he was puppy, I spread the word at the nearby
school, one of them was who found him and brought home.

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.usenet,free.spirit

John Doe wrote:
Tony Hwang dragon40 shaw.ca wrote:

Hmmm,
I sure don't want to have one like you as a neighbor.

The guy is trying to protect his garden.
People have a right to private property, at least here in the United States.

Nobody needs to hear this thing's life story...

Yup,
You and Op were once a kid too., Eh?
Life is not always black and white.
Give some, take some, we live together in peace.

Talk is cheap, asshole.

Whoever paid for the football can pay for the damage to the man's
garden. Nothing wrong with charging a little bit to give them some
sense of responsibility.

From: Tony Hwang dragon40 shaw.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,free.usenet,free.spirit
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 19:32:10 -0700

{PageUp}
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

Garden hose? Land mines? Snares? Leg traps?

Oh, you are always so much helpful. Go back to your bible. WW

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/8/2013 12:35 PM, Bob F wrote:

A former neighbor told me about the "ogre" in my house when he grew up. If
ball went into the yard, they felt they were taking big chances going to
get it,
and that definately reduced the ball transgressions. So that could be one
approach. Maybe not the best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 10:44:01 AM UTC-5, Anonymous wrote:
kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day.

What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they climb the fence. What

can I do?

--

posted from

http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ra-762628-.htm

using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface

to home and garden related groups

put slimy egg white or dog doo-doo and throw it back
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anonymous" wrote in message
roups.com...

kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day.
What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they climb the fence. What
can I do?

The PLUS on this is they came to the door first to ask. Good kids, make
friends with them.

When I was in high school and walking home a kid through a rock at me. I
retaliated by throwing a rock back at him. The rock had a good airfoil shape
and curved into a 8 x 12 store window. I walked to the store and talked to
the owner and we worked things out. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013, wrote:

On 09/08/2013 03:04 PM, Jack Goff wrote:
On 09/08/2013 11:44 AM, Anonymous wrote:
kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day.
What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they climb the fence. What
can I do?

Grow raspberries (or any other bush with nasty prickers) along your fence.

A 3' perimeter of Poison Ivy would work as well.

There are a few problems with that. First you have to find enough poison
ivy. I doubt the local nursery sells it. Then you have to plant it without
touching it. Lastly there is the control problem of keeping it from taking
over your garden. Now the kids may not recognize it. Though presumably they
will in a short time learn what it looks like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 20:07:16 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 11:57:06 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013, Gordon Shumway wrote:
1. Electrify your fence.

Booby traps are illegal.

Label the fence as being electrified and it is no longer a booby trap.
Matter-of-fact, simply labeling it as such may be enough. And run some
dummy wires to make it look like it is electrified.

Electric fence signs are readily available. This is a 10-pack for $11.22:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B2R5U4/

It also comes in a 3-pack.

Or if you only need one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BPQF1ZM/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08 Sep 2013, wrote:

kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day.
What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they climb the fence. What
can I do?

They do make motion activated sprinkers:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000071NUS

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/08/2013 10:17 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013, wrote:

On 09/08/2013 03:04 PM, Jack Goff wrote:
On 09/08/2013 11:44 AM, Anonymous wrote:
kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day.
What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they climb the fence. What
can I do?

Grow raspberries (or any other bush with nasty prickers) along your fence.

A 3' perimeter of Poison Ivy would work as well.

There are a few problems with that. First you have to find enough poison
ivy. I doubt the local nursery sells it. Then you have to plant it without
touching it. Lastly there is the control problem of keeping it from taking
over your garden. Now the kids may not recognize it. Though presumably they
will in a short time learn what it looks like.

Take up bee keeping?

I would think a hive or two of those African-American bees would keep the kids out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dem bees bust a cap on you ah?

When I used to babysit, I had a penalty box.
The boys would leave something out, and I'd
put it in the penalty box. Cost them ten
pushups to get it back. Might work, serious,
for the football over the fence. Make sure you
see the pushups in person.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/9/2013 4:50 AM, John Dillinger wrote:
There are a few problems with that. First you have to find enough poison
ivy. I doubt the local nursery sells it. Then you have to plant it
without
touching it. Lastly there is the control problem of keeping it from
taking
over your garden. Now the kids may not recognize it. Though presumably
they
will in a short time learn what it looks like.

Take up bee keeping?

I would think a hive or two of those African-American bees would keep
the kids out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren,

The OP has a garden, not a pool.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013, wrote:

[...]

Oh my God, now we have Politically Correct insects. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder how bees changed names, through the generations?

At various times, we'd had colored bees, dinges bees,
darky bees, Afro bees, black bees, and what other
bees did I miss? Aunt Bees, of course. In Mayberry.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/9/2013 3:50 AM, John Dillinger wrote:

I would think a hive or two of those African-American bees would keep
the kids out.

Oh my God, now we have Politically Correct insects. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anonymous
wrote:
kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden
several times a
day. What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they
climb the
fence. What can I do?

remove your head from your ass and replace it with the
football

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.usenet,free.spirit

John Doe wrote:
The guy is trying to protect his garden.
People have a right to private property, at least here in the United
States.

Nobody needs to hear this thing's life story...

But then, he actually contributed something to the discussion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 08:43:25 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Oren,

The OP has a garden, not a pool.

Dave M.

I know he has a garden, but he did not say if he did or did not have a
pool. I was just commenting that leaving the gate unlocked is not the
best approach (IMO).

Even without a pool; perhaps, some harm could still come to the kids.
I'd not take that chance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren,

The OP has a garden, not a pool.

Dave M.

I know he has a garden, but he did not say if he did or
did not have a
pool. I was just commenting that leaving the gate
unlocked is not the
best approach (IMO).

I doubt he even has a house let alone a garden.
If the kids are ringing his doorbell, why not answer it and
talk to the kids?
Seems to me that to resolve the problem(if there really is
one) is to talk to the "problem"
I find most post from homeowners hub to be highly suspect
due to the stupidity of most of their questions
YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren,

The OP has a garden, not a pool.

Dave M.

I know he has a garden, but he did not say if he did or
did not have a
pool. I was just commenting that leaving the gate
unlocked is not the
best approach (IMO).

I doubt he even has a house let alone a garden.
If the kids are ringing his doorbell, why not answer it and
talk to the kids?
Seems to me that to resolve the problem(if there really is
one) is to talk to the "problem"
I find most post from homeowners hub to be highly suspect
due to the stupidity of most of their questions

Which is why few here take them seriously.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I find most post from homeowners hub to be highly suspect
due to the stupidity of most of their questions

Yes. Plenty of silly stuff come from that site. Even from some Google
posters. If you try to help, you never get a reply. They just
dummy-up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:18:21 AM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:44:01 AM UTC-7, Anonymous wrote:

kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day.

What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they climb the fence. What

can I do?

--

posted from

http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ra-762628-.htm

using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface

to home and garden related groups

Garden groups probably can't be very helpful from a "legal" POV, but we can certainly offer suggestions.

My first would be to identify the parents. You can then try to interact with them. This can be a real bitch, depending how cooperative they choose to be.

How do you identify the kids? If they're from neighboring homes, shouldn't be too hard. If not, or even if so, here's a strategy: Invite them in (or on porch) for hot chocolate, ice cream, juice -- whatever. Chat about school, sports, culture, friends.

It's a universal that people tend to treat others within their clan/family/clique/political party/religious affiliation/whatever with more deference than strangers. So after you & the kids have bonded, what comes next can be more effective.

Ask them what you can do to keep the football out of your yard. Yes, mine their creativity; it's very flattering.

What's your set-up? Is it a question of a higher fence? A wire netting? What?

Fascinating that 99-44/100 of comments involved retaliating against the kids, each suggestion more childish and counteproductive than the last.

NOBODY picked up on meeting and reasoning with the kids. ALL assumed they were BAD. That's called "projecting".

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 08:21:04 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I would think a hive or two of those African-American bees would keep
the kids out.

Oh my God, now we have Politically Correct insects. O_o

Are the bees racist?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2013 10:44 AM, Anonymous wrote:
kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a
day.
What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they climb the fence. What
can I do?

First thing I'd do is have a chat with the kids and their parents to
lay down some ground rules. Rule one being: they are not allowed to
climb the fence. Rule two being: they have to ask for and get
permission to enter your yard to retrieve their ball. If you aren't
home at the time, they just have to wait. Follow the rules and they
get their ball back - in time. If that's not good enough, they will
have to improve their throwing accuracy or take the game somewhere else.

If they're half-way decent kids, once they know there are rules,
they'll obey them most of the time. If they're problem kids, they'll
completely ignore the rules, at which point your conscience should be
clear in terms of escalating measures for dealing with the incursions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 14:17:10 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

NOBODY picked up on meeting and reasoning with the kids. ALL assumed they were BAD. That's called "projecting".

Are you certain? One poster mentioned talking with the parent(s)?

Who is ALL that ASSUMED?

Are you "projecting"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would think a hive or two of those African-American bees would keep
the kids out.

Oh my God, now we have Politically Correct insects. O_o

Are the bees racist?

No but they're gay bashers, you should see how they treat butterflies. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would think a hive or two of those African-American bees would keep
the kids out.

Oh my God, now we have Politically Correct insects. O_o

Are the bees racist?

No but they're gay bashers, you should see how they treat butterflies. ^_^

TDD

I didn't delve into it, but some reports say scientist are trying too
or figure out if they can make butterflies gay. Why on Earth would
they do that?

I suspect next will be caterpillars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

NOBODY picked up on meeting and reasoning with the kids. ALL assumed they were BAD. That's called "projecting".

Are you certain? One poster mentioned talking with the parent(s)?

Even I told the moronic OP to just answer the door.

Who is ALL that ASSUMED?

The old bag does that a lot. It's the lefty way.

Are you "projecting"?

Typical leftist's "thought" process. It's their only neuron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would think a hive or two of those African-American bees would keep
the kids out.

Oh my God, now we have Politically Correct insects. O_o

Are the bees racist?

Can't be. They're hyphenated African.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

If they're half-way decent kids why can't they come into the yard to get
the ball? If they can follow a rule to stay out of the yard, why can't they
follow a rule to get the ball and get out?

That's how it was when I was growing up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

put up a net to prevent the balls from clearing the fence..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

NOBODY picked up on meeting and reasoning with the kids. ALL assumed they were BAD. That's called "projecting".

Are you certain? One poster mentioned talking with the parent(s)?

You're right; I missed that. Apologies.

HB

Who is ALL that ASSUMED?

Are you "projecting"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

My first would be to identify the parents. You can then try to interact with them. This can be a real bitch, depending how cooperative they choose to be.

How do you identify the kids? If they're from neighboring homes, shouldn't be too hard. If not, or even if so, here's a strategy: Invite them in (or on porch) for hot chocolate, ice cream, juice -- whatever. Chat about school, sports, culture, friends.

It's a universal that people tend to treat others within their clan/family/clique/political party/religious affiliation/whatever with more deference than strangers. So after you & the kids have bonded, what comes next can be more effective.

Until the parents call the police for child
molestation and you end up on the permanent list!

Ask them what you can do to keep the football out of your yard. Yes, mine their creativity; it's very flattering.

What's your set-up? Is it a question of a higher fence? A wire netting? What?

HTH

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 18:46:39 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Are you certain? One poster mentioned talking with the parent(s)?

You're right; I missed that. Apologies.

HB

Fix your Google. You make it look like I answered myself. The "" in
my post should look like "" in your reply. Not "". Then you placed
"HB"

Find the proper blank line to comment - that would help.

Better is to get a REAL Usenet news reader.

You already know this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I find most post from homeowners hub to be highly suspect
due to the stupidity of most of their questions

Yes. Plenty of silly stuff come from that site. Even from
some Google
posters. If you try to help, you never get a reply. They
just
dummy-up.

based on most of their questions, I would say they
"dummied-upped" when they postedg
I'd say less than 1% actually reply back

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are you certain? One poster mentioned talking with the
parent(s)?

You're right; I missed that. Apologies.

HB

Fix your Google. You make it look like I answered myself.
The "" in
my post should look like "" in your reply. Not "". Then
you placed
"HB"

Find the proper blank line to comment - that would help.

Better is to get a REAL Usenet news reader.

You already know this.

Now, now, Mr O, what was youz just sayin about google
users?g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2013 8:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

Usually the point behind fencing a yard is to keep creatures -
including other people and other people's kids - out. There's not much
point to having a fence if you're going to grant neighbors blanket
permission to enter your property.

If your property contains an attractive nuisance such as a pond, pool,
or pet, you can't give kids blanket permission to enter without
exposing yourself to liability.

If the kids and/or their parents have chosen to ignore the obvious "do
not enter" message that a fence conveys, it will be necessary to make
that clear via letter or conversation - and setting conditions for
permissible entry if the property owner feels so inclined.