Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boeing kicking ass (heavy metal sales)

I'm smart enough to know that I don't know enough about world
economics to make a serious comment on this, but it seems to me that
there are still some companies in this supposedly wretched economy
making some very big deals. Other articles in this newsletter include
CFM (GE) selling $1 billion worth of engines at the show (so far).

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/art...boroJuly122012

Boeing inks deals to sell 30 aircraft at Farnborough Wednesday,
bringing its show total to 267

Posted by John Keller

FARNBOROUGH, England, 11 July 2012. Boeing Commercial Airplanes in
Seattle booked orders and options for 30 aircraft Wednesday at the
Farnborough International Airshow in Farnborough, England, bringing
the company's total in the Farnborough aircraft-sale sweepstakes to
267.

Wednesday's orders from Avolon, a Dublin-based aircraft leasing and
management company, open Boeing's lead in Farnborough aircraft sales
over archrival Airbus in Toulouse, France. As of close of business
Wednesday Airbus had sold 61 aircraft at Farnborough.

In Wednesday's deal, Avolon agreed to buy 10 737 MAX 8 and five 737
MAX 9 next-generation, fuel-efficient single-aisle passenger jets from
Boeing, as well as 10 next-generation 737-800s. The commitment, worth
$2.3 billion, also includes reconfirmation rights for five more 737
MAX airplanes, Boeing officials say.

The twin-engine 737 MAX, a new-engine variant of the popular 737
narrow-body passenger jetliner uses the CFM International LEAP-1B
engine. Airlines operating the 737 MAX will see a 13 percent fuel burn
improvement over today's most fuel efficient single-aisle airplanes,
Boeing officials say.

Boeing designed the 737 MAX as a direct competitor in the single-aisle
jetliner market with the Airbus A320neo. Both aircraft are touted as
fuel-efficient, low-emission aircraft that take advantage of new
engines and new aerodynamic features.

As of Wednesday, Boeing had sold 242 737 MAX aircraft at and shortly
before Farnborough. Airbus, has sold four A320neo aircraft at
Farnborough. The A320neo is short for new engine option.

For more information contact Boeing Commercial Airplanes online at
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/, or the Farnborough International
Airshow at www.farnborough.com. Also follow Military & Aerospace
Electronics and Avionics Intelligence daily Farnborough show coverage
online at www.militaryaerospace.com/farnborough-report.

Related stories

-- Airbus books 46 aircraft orders and options at Farnborough
Wednesday, bringing its air show total to 61

-- Farnborough opening bell Wednesday: 310 aircraft sold so far from
four major aerospace manufacturers

-- Farnborough Report digest of news stories.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
[...]

I know somebody who runs a large CNC shop that makes some of Boeing's engine
parts. (I wish I could afford the power to run some of those machines, much
less had a place to hold one.) Anyway, he said they have had solid
production levels for a few years now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 00:12:15 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

I'm smart enough to know that I don't know enough about world
economics to make a serious comment on this, but it seems to me that
there are still some companies in this supposedly wretched economy
making some very big deals. Other articles in this newsletter include
CFM (GE) selling $1 billion worth of engines at the show (so far).

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/art...boroJuly122012

Boeing inks deals to sell 30 aircraft at Farnborough Wednesday,
bringing its show total to 267

snip
------------------------
It all depends if they are managing to sell their products
for more than these cost to make. GM sold below cost for
several years before going bankrupt and tried to make it up
on the volume...

Another facet is the existence of overt and covert subsidies
such as ExIm bank financing and the tax deductibility of
business loan interest, accelerated depreciation, etc.

While the sale of aircraft and engines *MAY* be profitable
to the manufactures, when the subsidies and externalized
costs, e.g. engineering education, are considered these may
sales may well be a net *LOSS* to the total domestic
economy. It is also well to remember that civil aviation
has never returned a aggregated cumulative net profit from
Orvil and Wilber to today.

--
"Cuando los ricos piensan en los pobres, piensan en pobre..."
"When the rich think of the poor, they often have poor ideas..."