Posted to alt.home.repair
TOM TOM is offline

Default Generac generator (natural gas) starts but won't stay running

It will only run for about 8sec's then stops. It does it 4 or 5 times then
shuts down.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...in-762399-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/06/2013 02:44 PM, TOM wrote:
It will only run for about 8sec's then stops. It does it 4 or 5 times then
shuts down.

Maybe it is sensing low oil pressure and shutting down?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 6, 2013 1:44:01 PM UTC-5, TOM wrote:
It will only run for about 8sec's then stops. It does it 4 or 5 times then shuts down. -- posted from http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...in-762399-.htm using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to home and garden related groups

Are you sure the gas supply can keep up with the needs of the generator? How old is the unit, when did it last run satisfactorily, etc, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2013 2:40 PM, Jack Goff wrote:
On 09/06/2013 02:44 PM, TOM wrote:
It will only run for about 8sec's then stops. It does it 4 or 5 times
then
shuts down.

Maybe it is sensing low oil pressure and shutting down?

I had to replace a lot of defective oil pressure sensors on Generac
gensets for that reason. I had forgotten until you brought it up. I
tested for that by disconnecting the terminal from the post on the oil
pressure switch and making sure there was sufficient oil in the
crankcase started the generator. If the engine ran with the oil pressure
switch disconnected then stopped when the wire was shorted to ground,
that indicated a problem. The switch shorted the connection to ground
when oil pressure was lost. There is a time delay allowing oil pressure
to build up and open the connection when proper oil pressure is reached.
With the engine running, use an ohmmeter set to the lowest scale, the
switch should test open with the engine running. I found that the big
old oil pressure switches meant for older automobile oil pressure lights
worked better than the OEM replacement available from Generac
which was a cheap dinky little switch and it was a very common failure
point on their gensets. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another moaner....

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...in-762399-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to home and
garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 18:44:01 +0000, TOM
wrote:

It will only run for about 8sec's then stops. It does it 4 or 5 times then
shuts down.

Check the low oil shutdown switch (and the oil level)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It will only run for about 8sec's then stops. It does it 4 or 5 times then

shuts down.

Check the low oil shutdown switch (and the oil level)

Could be something simple like that. Or it could be more
serious. I went through diagnosing one last year that also
started up, ran for some number of seconds, maybe 10 - 15 secs
or so, then shut off. As I recall, a few things happen
around that time. One is that upon starting, the ignition
voltage is supplied by the battery, but then after starting,
it switches to being supplied by one generator winding that
serves that purpose. If that winding or associated circuit
is bad, it loses ignition. Also, as I recall, the generator
control looks for normal voltage after start-up. If it doesn't
see it, then it will shut it down.

In the generator I had, it was a bad rotor for sure, and
possibly a bad stator too. I took a look at all the complaints
on Amazon about similar Generacs and concluded it wasn't worth
fixing. That had also been the conclusion of the service guy
who diagnosed it for the neighbor I got it from. Being that it
was only about 5 years old, I thought I might get lucky and be
able to fix it, but it didn't pan out.

I found the Generac service manual online which had good detail
on the various test procedures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Also, the unit here had a couple of fuses that were accessible
right at the control panel. Checking them is quick and easy.
As another simple test, if you're comfortable working with AC,
put a test meter on the generator output. If you have 240V
during the time it's running, then you know the generator
section is working. If not, then you know you have bigger problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to The Daring Dufas, Dave wrote:
Oil light stays on and it keeps shutting down

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...in-762399-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2018 8:44 PM, Dave wrote:
replying to The Daring Dufas, Dave wrote:
Oil light stays on and it keeps shutting down

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...in-762399-.htm

"Lay the screwdriver on one of
the big contacts that the transformer has and then get the end of the
screwdriver very close to the other one.Â* You should see a contnouse
spark from the other one to the tip of the screwdriver."

Come to think of it, maybe the reason he's not reporting back is
you killed him.

You're a trip.

And you're a dangerous idiot.Â* Somebody shows up here, basically says my furnace starts and only runs for a few seconds, shows no indication
of having *any* technical knowledge of dealing with an oil burner
and you tell him to keep pushing the reset button and take a screwdriver,
put it across a high voltage transformer.

Good grief.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 8:44:15 PM UTC-4, Dave wrote:
replying to The Daring Dufas, Dave wrote:
Oil light stays on and it keeps shutting down

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...in-762399-.htm

Connect a voltmeter to the AC output and see if you see 240V when it's
briefly running. The controller looks for that and if the generator
isn't generating, it shuts it down after it runs briefly, maybe 15 or
30 secs. In other words, your problem could be in the generator, not
the engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 9:50:14 AM UTC-4, BurfordTJustice wrote:
That is not what you said in 2013 to the question..WTF??

It sure is, silly Russian troll.

"Also, as I recall, the generator
control looks for normal voltage after start-up. If it doesn't
see it, then it will shut it down. "

The other info that I gave back then is also useful and the poster
should read it. BTW, what did you contribute to this AHR question
or *any* on topic AHR question? Answer: nothing
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Cyndi Jacobs, trader 0 wrote:
What oil burner??
subject is; Generac generator (natural gas) starts but won't stay running

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...in-762399-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Dave m wrote:

replying to The Daring Dufas, Dave wrote:
Oil light stays on and it keeps shutting down

Dave-

Before the generator's engine starts, there is no oil pressure. The oil
sensor is ignored until the engine has a chance to come up to speed. If
it then shuts down, it normally indicates a low oil level.

If you are sure there is enough oil, disconnect the wire to the oil
sensor and see if the engine keeps running. You could have a bad oil
sensor.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 6, 2013 at 2:44:01 PM UTC-4, TOM wrote:
It will only run for about 8sec's then stops. It does it 4 or 5 times then
shuts down.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...in-762399-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

As I discovered on my Generac propane powered generator, rusting internally caused a leak between the exhaust chamber and the other air chambers. After I plugged the leaks by mounting a cover plate, the generator started and continued running. Apparently the exhaust was starving the motor for oxygen..

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you choke out the throttle body it will run
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 7:49:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If you choke out the throttle body it will run

yes it ran after I choke it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes I choked it out and it ran fine

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...in-762399-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 14:45:03 +0000, Mike H. posted for all of us to digest...

Yes I choked it out and it ran fine

From my crystal ball it sounds to me like a vacuum leak around the carb. Look
on U Tube for help on this because I think Generacs are a popular topic.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 17:37:37 -0500, Tekkie© wrote:

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 14:45:03 +0000, Mike H. posted for all of us to digest...

Yes I choked it out and it ran fine

From my crystal ball it sounds to me like a vacuum leak around the carb. Look
on U Tube for help on this because I think Generacs are a popular topic.

More likely a problem with the demand regulator - particularly if you
did any screwing around with it

Posted to alt.home.repair

No screwing around with it, found a lot of rusted metal in cavity where it is . Thought some rust got in plenum or regulator.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...in-762399-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

No carb, but it does have airbox and no openings i can see

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...in-762399-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 16:30:58 +0000, Mike H
wrote:

No screwing around with it, found a lot of rusted metal in cavity where it is . Thought some rust got in plenum or regulator.

How old is this thing??? What engine? Might - possibly - be worth
putting on a new fuel system - - -?