Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Whirpool gas dryer - starts but wont stay running

I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer (Model GGW9878LWW) that wont' stay
running.

When I press the start button, the tumbler starts spinning, and I can
hear the flames ignite (the clothes do get dry too). When I release
the start button, everything stops. I need to put duct tape over the
button for the clothes to dry.

I can hear a relay engage when I press the button as well.
The dryer door switch is working fine. I can make the dryer start/stop
by pressing/releasing this.

Is this a common problem with Whirlpool dryers? It's only 5-6 years
old.

I would like to see if I can fix this myself, I'm fairly handly with
home repairs.

thanks for any help.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
cappy2112 wrote:

I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer (Model GGW9878LWW) that wont' stay
running.

When I press the start button, the tumbler starts spinning, and I can
hear the flames ignite (the clothes do get dry too). When I release
the start button, everything stops. I need to put duct tape over the
button for the clothes to dry.

I can hear a relay engage when I press the button as well.
The dryer door switch is working fine. I can make the dryer start/stop
by pressing/releasing this.

Just a WAG, but I would suspect a bad relay. It (probably) has 2 sets
of contacts. one to start the dryer, and the other to hold the relay
closed.

Actually, just thought of another thing that would cause the problem.
Even more likely than a bad relay.
There is a switch that opens when you open the door. Its likely broken.
If you can locate it, jump the contacts (CAUTION: 117 vac here) and see
if that keeps it on, and if so, replace it.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house

cappy2112 wrote:
I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer (Model GGW9878LWW) that wont' stay
running.

When I press the start button, the tumbler starts spinning, and I can
hear the flames ignite (the clothes do get dry too). When I release
the start button, everything stops. I need to put duct tape over the
button for the clothes to dry.

The problem is most likely with the centrifugal switch on the motor.
Under normal conditions, the centrifugal switch operates when the motor
reaches full speed, which is the electrical equivalent of holding the
start button down.

Vacuum the dust and lint away from the motor and look for anything that
may be obstructing the switch. It's near the point where the wires
connect to the motor.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Actually, just thought of another thing that would cause the problem.
Even more likely than a bad relay.
There is a switch that opens when you open the door. *Its likely broken..
If you can locate it, jump the contacts (CAUTION: 117 vac here) and see
if that keeps it on, and if so, replace it.

The door switch works- that is, when i open the door it stops, when I
close it the dryer runs, as long as I keep the start button pressed.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Apr 9, 5:19*pm, Bob wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:
I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer (Model GGW9878LWW) that wont' stay
running.

When I press the start button, the tumbler starts spinning, and I can
hear the flames ignite (the clothes do get dry too). When I release
the start button, everything stops. I need to put duct tape over the
button for the clothes to dry.

The problem is most likely with the centrifugal switch on the motor.
Under normal conditions, the centrifugal switch operates when the motor
reaches full speed, which is the electrical equivalent of holding the
start button down.

Vacuum the dust and lint away from the motor and look for anything that
may be obstructing the switch. *It's near the point where the wires
connect to the motor.

Have you worked on the model before?
Do you know if I can get to the motor form the back, from the top, or
from the bottom?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
cappy2112 wrote:
Actually, just thought of another thing that would cause the problem.
Even more likely than a bad relay.
There is a switch that opens when you open the door. *Its likely broken.
If you can locate it, jump the contacts (CAUTION: 117 vac here) and see
if that keeps it on, and if so, replace it.

The door switch works- that is, when i open the door it stops, when I
close it the dryer runs, as long as I keep the start button pressed.

In that case, I will reiterate the bad relay suggestion.

The stuck starting switch I think unlikely. The start winding is
intended for little use, and steady on would likely burn it up.

It could also be a start button problem if the button has more than 1
pole.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house

The problem is most likely with the centrifugal switch on the motor.
Under normal conditions, the centrifugal switch operates when the motor
reaches full speed, which is the electrical equivalent of holding the
start button down.

Vacuum the dust and lint away from the motor and look for anything that
may be obstructing the switch. *It's near the point where the wires
connect to the motor.

I've opened the top of the dryer, and taken off the back panel to look
for the centrifugal switch, but cannot see it.
Tilting it on its side-I can't get to it ffrom the bottom either.

When I had the back panel off, I found a troubleshooting guide for the
repair tech. I tried to go through all of the steps, but can't get the
dryer into test mode.
I've tried this many times, it just wont go. If I jump ahead past the
test section of these instructions, the Problem/Cause table says if
"the dryer starts but won't continue" the electronic board assy should
be replaced. I realy wish I could verify the centrifugal switch works
before doing this. I'm sure that cirbuit board will cost close to
$100, if it's even available.
There are some schematics here too, but if I can't get my voltmeter
probes onto the centrifugal switch, it doesn't quite help.
I could use a dissasembly diagram.

We've had this dryer for just over 5 years.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
cappy2112 wrote:

[...]

When I had the back panel off, I found a troubleshooting guide for the
repair tech. I tried to go through all of the steps, but can't get the
dryer into test mode.
I've tried this many times, it just wont go. If I jump ahead past the
test section of these instructions, the Problem/Cause table says if
"the dryer starts but won't continue" the electronic board assy should
be replaced. I realy wish I could verify the centrifugal switch works
before doing this. I'm sure that cirbuit board will cost close to
$100, if it's even available.
There are some schematics here too, but if I can't get my voltmeter
probes onto the centrifugal switch, it doesn't quite help.
I could use a dissasembly diagram.

Thats written for the pro repairman. Since he probably has the board in
his truck, its cheaper for him to just replace it and send it back to
the repair depot to fix it than take the time to diagnose the problem in
your house. The inability to get it into test mode is another symptom
of its being broken, but it may need a jumper somewhere for test mode
that the repair guy would know and deliberately is omitted to screw you
up.

Sorry to say, I think its time to call in the repair pro on this job.
First you could try the manufacturers web site and see if thats any
help.
--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house

cappy2112 wrote:

I've opened the top of the dryer, and taken off the back panel to look
for the centrifugal switch, but cannot see it.

The centrifugal switch is on the drive motor itself. In most dryers
it's accessible after removing the lower front panel. If you found a
wiring diagram look for a switch on the motor that is wired in parallel
with the start button.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Apr 12, 4:33*pm, Bob wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:
I've opened the top of the dryer, and taken off the back panel to look
for the centrifugal switch, but cannot see it.

The centrifugal switch is on the drive motor itself. *In most dryers
it's accessible after removing the lower front panel. *If you found a
wiring diagram look for a switch on the motor that is wired in parallel
with the start button.

I finally found the motor, vaccumed off the dust. The switch seems to
be working, although there is very little travel from when the
centrifugal clutch is open of closed.
I ran throuigh as much of the diags on the troubleshooting steps as I
could. I put a voltmeter on the coils for the heater relay, and the
motor relay. They have a common inputs, which are coming from the
control circuit board. This signal never goes low- so the relays don't
engage.
WIth that in mind plus the fact that the circuit board wont go into
test mode, I've ordered a replacement from Whirlpool for $45. It
should be here next week.

Thanks for everyone's help.