Posted to misc.consumers.house
cappy2112 cappy2112 is offline

Default Whirpool gas dryer - starts but wont stay running

On Apr 9, 5:19*pm, Bob wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:
I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer (Model GGW9878LWW) that wont' stay
running.

When I press the start button, the tumbler starts spinning, and I can
hear the flames ignite (the clothes do get dry too). When I release
the start button, everything stops. I need to put duct tape over the
button for the clothes to dry.

The problem is most likely with the centrifugal switch on the motor.
Under normal conditions, the centrifugal switch operates when the motor
reaches full speed, which is the electrical equivalent of holding the
start button down.

Vacuum the dust and lint away from the motor and look for anything that
may be obstructing the switch. *It's near the point where the wires
connect to the motor.

Have you worked on the model before?
Do you know if I can get to the motor form the back, from the top, or
from the bottom?