Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whirpool gas dryer - starts but wont stay running

I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer (Model GGW9878LWW) that wont' stay
running.

When I press the start button, the tumbler starts spinning, and I can
hear the flames ignite (the clothes do get dry too). When I release
the start button, everything stops. I need to put duct tape over the
button for the clothes to dry.

I can hear a relay engage when I press the button as well.
The dryer door switch is working fine. I can make the dryer start/stop
by pressing/releasing this.

Is this a common problem with Whirlpool dryers? It's only 5-6 years
old.

I would like to see if I can fix this myself, I'm fairly handly with
home repairs.

thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cappy2112" wrote in message
I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer (Model GGW9878LWW) that wont' stay
running.

When I press the start button, the tumbler starts spinning, and I can
hear the flames ignite (the clothes do get dry too). When I release
the start button, everything stops. I need to put duct tape over the
button for the clothes to dry.

I can hear a relay engage when I press the button as well.
The dryer door switch is working fine. I can make the dryer start/stop
by pressing/releasing this.

Is this a common problem with Whirlpool dryers? It's only 5-6 years
old.

I would like to see if I can fix this myself, I'm fairly handly with
home repairs.

thanks for any help.

Sure sounds like the start switch is the culprit. A new one can't cost much
and shouldn't be too hard to install.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 08:42:48 -0700 (PDT), cappy2112
wrote:

I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer (Model GGW9878LWW) that wont' stay
running.

When I press the start button, the tumbler starts spinning, and I can
hear the flames ignite (the clothes do get dry too). When I release
the start button, everything stops. I need to put duct tape over the
button for the clothes to dry.

I can hear a relay engage when I press the button as well.
The dryer door switch is working fine. I can make the dryer start/stop
by pressing/releasing this.

Is this a common problem with Whirlpool dryers? It's only 5-6 years
old.

I would like to see if I can fix this myself, I'm fairly handly with
home repairs.

thanks for any help.

When my Kenmore did that it was necessary to replace the circuit
board.. about $100 for the part.