Posted to misc.consumers.house
Rich Greenberg Rich Greenberg is offline

Default Whirpool gas dryer - starts but wont stay running

In article ,
cappy2112 wrote:

I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer (Model GGW9878LWW) that wont' stay
running.

When I press the start button, the tumbler starts spinning, and I can
hear the flames ignite (the clothes do get dry too). When I release
the start button, everything stops. I need to put duct tape over the
button for the clothes to dry.

I can hear a relay engage when I press the button as well.
The dryer door switch is working fine. I can make the dryer start/stop
by pressing/releasing this.

Just a WAG, but I would suspect a bad relay. It (probably) has 2 sets
of contacts. one to start the dryer, and the other to hold the relay
closed.

Actually, just thought of another thing that would cause the problem.
Even more likely than a bad relay.
There is a switch that opens when you open the door. Its likely broken.
If you can locate it, jump the contacts (CAUTION: 117 vac here) and see
if that keeps it on, and if so, replace it.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L