Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generac generator (natural gas) starts but won't stay running

On 9/6/2013 2:40 PM, Jack Goff wrote:
On 09/06/2013 02:44 PM, TOM wrote:
It will only run for about 8sec's then stops. It does it 4 or 5 times
then
shuts down.

Maybe it is sensing low oil pressure and shutting down?

I had to replace a lot of defective oil pressure sensors on Generac
gensets for that reason. I had forgotten until you brought it up. I
tested for that by disconnecting the terminal from the post on the oil
pressure switch and making sure there was sufficient oil in the
crankcase started the generator. If the engine ran with the oil pressure
switch disconnected then stopped when the wire was shorted to ground,
that indicated a problem. The switch shorted the connection to ground
when oil pressure was lost. There is a time delay allowing oil pressure
to build up and open the connection when proper oil pressure is reached.
With the engine running, use an ohmmeter set to the lowest scale, the
switch should test open with the engine running. I found that the big
old oil pressure switches meant for older automobile oil pressure lights
worked better than the OEM replacement available from Generac
which was a cheap dinky little switch and it was a very common failure
point on their gensets. ^_^

TDD