Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, The Bicycle I'd Want If I Could Ride One

It's been years since I was able to ride a bicycle and I know there is
at least one person who posts to this group who rides a bike daily. I
was in very good shape when I rode a bicycle for transportation but I'll
bet the bike in this video could give someone a real workout. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY#t=32

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
It's been years since I was able to ride a bicycle and I know there is
at least one person who posts to this group who rides a bike daily. I
was in very good shape when I rode a bicycle for transportation but I'll
bet the bike in this video could give someone a real workout. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY#t=32

TDD

That's an awful amount of work for just a few minutes of video on Youtube.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:58:36 -0400, willshak wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:
It's been years since I was able to ride a bicycle and I know there is
at least one person who posts to this group who rides a bike daily. I
was in very good shape when I rode a bicycle for transportation but I'll
bet the bike in this video could give someone a real workout. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY#t=32

That's an awful amount of work for just a few minutes of video on Youtube.

Not many videos get 7,562,822 views. I bet he is quite satisfied with the
attention it got.

It looks like he had problems steering it. He couldn't stay in the lane he
was supposed to be in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's been years since I was able to ride a bicycle and I know there is
at least one person who posts to this group who rides a bike daily. I
was in very good shape when I rode a bicycle for transportation but I'll
bet the bike in this video could give someone a real workout. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY#t=32

TDD

I ride a bike daily to work, except on rain days. I'm not that devoted.

BTW: That's a trike.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2013 5:08 PM, gonjah wrote:
It's been years since I was able to ride a bicycle and I know there is
at least one person who posts to this group who rides a bike daily. I
was in very good shape when I rode a bicycle for transportation but I'll
bet the bike in this video could give someone a real workout. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY#t=32

TDD

I ride a bike daily to work, except on rain days. I'm not that devoted.

BTW: That's a trike.

It's a penta-cycle, it has 4 back wheels and one front wheel. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's been years since I was able to ride a bicycle and I know there is
at least one person who posts to this group who rides a bike daily. I
was in very good shape when I rode a bicycle for transportation but I'll
bet the bike in this video could give someone a real workout. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY#t=32

TDD

You might have a chance at riding this gizmo:
http://alturl.com/ayqt8
Plus you'd get rich and in shape at the same time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote:
It's been years since I was able to ride a bicycle and I know there is
at least one person who posts to this group who rides a bike daily. I
was in very good shape when I rode a bicycle for transportation but I'll
bet the bike in this video could give someone a real workout. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY#t=32

That's an awful amount of work for just a few minutes of video on Youtube.

Not many videos get 7,562,822 views. I bet he is quite satisfied with the
attention it got.

It looks like he had problems steering it. He couldn't stay in the lane he
was supposed to be in.

I commute by bike around 25 miles daily in Queens and Manhattan. This
bike would not make the cut but certainly is fun. As I age (over 60
now) I bought a bike that has an electric assist motor. No throttle,
it will only work if you pedal, but it does make the big hills and
headwinds easier to deal with. A very good use of technology.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Is it the Copenhagen Wheel bicycle? The guys and gals over at MIT came
up with a very interesting electric add-on for a bicycle. ^_^

http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08-28-2013 10:45, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Is it the Copenhagen Wheel bicycle? The guys and gals over at MIT came
up with a very interesting electric add-on for a bicycle. ^_^

http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

I'm more inclined to side with this guy:

http://behoovingmoving.livejournal.com/103580.html

--
Wes Groleau

I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
but if you burn my Bible, no one's going to die.
€” Robert Rhee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2013 1:56 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 08-28-2013 10:45, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Is it the Copenhagen Wheel bicycle? The guys and gals over at MIT came
up with a very interesting electric add-on for a bicycle. ^_^

http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

I'm more inclined to side with this guy:

http://behoovingmoving.livejournal.com/103580.html

Wasn't The Segway supposed to change the world too? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 02:50:10 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 8/29/2013 1:56 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 08-28-2013 10:45, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Is it the Copenhagen Wheel bicycle? The guys and gals over at MIT came
up with a very interesting electric add-on for a bicycle. ^_^

http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

I'm more inclined to side with this guy:

http://behoovingmoving.livejournal.com/103580.html

Wasn't The Segway supposed to change the world too? ^_^

TDD

It's an interesting idea but I'm inclined to agree that the
engineering isn't there yet. More exactly, battery power. I use a Trek
Valencia+,
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Electr.../Trek-Valencia

It's mostly an accurate review, except I can easily do my 25 mile r/t
commute without recharging - I mostly leave the bike in the lowest
assist mode (25%) and just bump it up when hitting big hills. I
sometimes go 40 miles and have plenty of battery left over, but I do a
lot of the work myself and rarely go over 15mph.

The copenhagen wheel simply can't store enough power to make it
worthwhile. My battery is only 6.6 ah, which is vastly underpowered
according to most EBike standards. And it weighs 6.6 lbs, which sort
of gives an idea of what the battery alone needs to be to handle a
real commute. Most people use 10-15ah batteries, which are of course
10-15 lbs. It isn't really that much, I mean I weigh almost 190 so
what is another 10 lbs?

Still, integrated into a hub, I just don't see how it can work without
being one monster hub.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I believe the energy system will eventually be built into the frame of
the bicycle and not necessarily just batteries but super capacitors
which will charge very quickly from the energy recovery mechanism that
would be a mandatory feature of such a bike. Instead of mechanical
brakes, the electrical drive would do the braking in order to recover
energy. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/29/2013 1:56 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 08-28-2013 10:45, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Is it the Copenhagen Wheel bicycle? The guys and gals over at MIT came
up with a very interesting electric add-on for a bicycle. ^_^

http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

I'm more inclined to side with this guy:

http://behoovingmoving.livejournal.com/103580.html

Wasn't The Segway supposed to change the world too? ^_^

Didn't do much for the inventor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/29/2013 1:56 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 08-28-2013 10:45, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Is it the Copenhagen Wheel bicycle? The guys and gals over at MIT came
up with a very interesting electric add-on for a bicycle. ^_^

http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

I'm more inclined to side with this guy:

http://behoovingmoving.livejournal.com/103580.html

Wasn't The Segway supposed to change the world too? ^_^

Didn't do much for the inventor.

I seem to remember a story about a fellow who bought out Segway then was
killed when he drove one of them off a cliff. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

If your purpose were exercise rather than commuting, you should design an Urban Trainer bicycle.

The problem with bicycle exercise is not all of us have the space to put in the necessary miles safely (traffic, dogs, bad roads, etc.) Indoor trainers work but are boring.

But most of us could go around one block easily. What if that took an hour? Build a bike geared such that you only go very slowly. Add some mechanical resistance (magnetic or hydraulic as is done in the expensive magtrainers). Add a flywheel for gyroscopic effect so you don't fall over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I believe the energy system will eventually be built into the frame of
the bicycle and not necessarily just batteries but super capacitors
which will charge very quickly from the energy recovery mechanism that
would be a mandatory feature of such a bike. Instead of mechanical
brakes, the electrical drive would do the braking in order to recover
energy. ^_^

TDD

Another application FOR BACKSCATTER 8

--