Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ride on mower manual?

I was a bit short on detail in my last post, so I'll try again...

I have just bought a s/h MTD Yardman Lawnflite 14HP ride on mower, a
model TA 4140 for which I am seeking a copy of the operator manual -
though any information at all would be very welcome as at the moment as
I have absolutely none.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I was a bit short on detail in my last post, so I'll try again...

I have just bought a s/h MTD Yardman Lawnflite 14HP ride on mower, a
model TA 4140 for which I am seeking a copy of the operator manual -
though any information at all would be very welcome as at the moment as
I have absolutely none.

Start he-

http://www.mtdeurope.com/Corporate_Manuals.aspx

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I was a bit short on detail in my last post, so I'll try again...

I have just bought a s/h MTD Yardman Lawnflite 14HP ride on mower, a
model TA 4140 for which I am seeking a copy of the operator manual -
though any information at all would be very welcome as at the moment as
I have absolutely none.

I have got a Lawnflite, but not a Yardman version, so I don't know how
much (if any) similarity there is. What do you want to know? There was
not much of interest in the manual for mine, beyond reams of H&S stuff
that you can workout for yourself, and what each control does.

Anything of use he

http://www.lawnflite.co.uk/manual_downloads.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm explained :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I was a bit short on detail in my last post, so I'll try again...

I have just bought a s/h MTD Yardman Lawnflite 14HP ride on mower, a model
TA 4140 for which I am seeking a copy of the operator manual - though any
information at all would be very welcome as at the moment as I have
absolutely none.

I have got a Lawnflite, but not a Yardman version, so I don't know how much
(if any) similarity there is. What do you want to know? There was not much of
interest in the manual for mine, beyond reams of H&S stuff that you can
workout for yourself, and what each control does.

Anything of use he

http://www.lawnflite.co.uk/manual_downloads.html

Thanks to both responders....

I cannot seem to find a manual on either site, it doesn't seem to like
the TA 4140 nor an 11 digit number which it asks for, which I found on
a label on the unit.

I'm just a bit unsure of how it should be driven - as in I'm stalling
it rather a lot. It is a 7 speed + reverse. I come to a stop going
forward hold the brake on and move the F/N/R lever to reverse and it
stalls and the same when trying to go forward again. If I don't touch
the brake, just move the F/N/R lever it doesn't stall, but surely I
ought to be able to hold it on the brake?

Engaging and lowering the cutter also seems a bit vicious and almost
stalls it unless the throttle is set for full speed.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm explained :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

You nearly always run these things at full speed to get cutter power,
and modulate the cut rate with the speed. If its stalling on an unloaded
cutter deck, it may need a service. Like getting a decades worth of
wound up nettles (approximately as tough as wire rope) from out of the
bearings.

I cant remember how my old machine used to work..ISTR that releasing the
brake engaged the drive belt.. I've gone hydraulic transmission now.

I do remember to0 rapid an engagement would lift the front wheels off
the ground..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I cannot seem to find a manual on either site, it doesn't seem to like
the TA 4140 nor an 11 digit number which it asks for, which I found on a
label on the unit.

Try downloading some of the others and see if they have similar controls.

I'm just a bit unsure of how it should be driven - as in I'm stalling it
rather a lot. It is a 7 speed + reverse. I come to a stop going forward

Different to mine then which is CVT...

hold the brake on and move the F/N/R lever to reverse and it stalls and

One thing to beware of, is these beasties have copious interlocks to
stop you doing various things. Some are obvious - like there must be
pressure on the seat for it to run (unless the break is on), but others
are less so. For example on mine you can't cut while in reverse, and you
can't engage the power take off when there is no grass box on the back.

the same when trying to go forward again. If I don't touch the brake,
just move the F/N/R lever it doesn't stall, but surely I ought to be
able to hold it on the brake?

Engaging and lowering the cutter also seems a bit vicious and almost
stalls it unless the throttle is set for full speed.

You should only ever cut on full throttle. Mine has a leaver rather like
an indicator stalk on the left, that you engage by pushing forward - its
a fairly long travel. You need to engage the PTO gently. You also want
to ensure you are not sat on a patch of long grass when you try, else
that may also stall it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
John Rumm explained :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

No insults intended, Harry, but I'm a bit sensitive to missing manual
enquiries for items regularly of interest to the *asset movers*.

I don't know anything about the Lawnflite but I do have a recent ride on
mower infested with safety cut outs. Basically if you try to do anything
which might be hazardous the engine cuts out!

There is an *under seat* switch which cuts the ignition if you attempt
to get off the m/c with the cutter engaged. To reverse with the cutter
engaged the ignition switch has to be on the correct setting. You can't
dump grass with the cutter engaged, no start without brake on, etc.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
John Rumm explained :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Basically on mine the only way to start is with the brake on(=drive
disengaged) and cutter disengaged, and that is also the only way to get
off the mower and leave it actually running.

There is also supposed to be a cutter brake that engages to spin the
blades down quickly.

Part of setting the whole machine up is to adjust all teh cables and
levers to make sure that these things happen as intended, anmd aolso
with properly inflated tyres., the cutter deck is level in teh lateral
plane. Otherwise you get an uneven cut.

Needless to say just about any second hand machine, or any machine after
a year bumping into things, is fairly far out of optimal adjustment.

The OP should fiddle and peer around the machine, work out what it all
does, preferably drop the deck off and check the blades spin freely, and
the cutter brakes work, and, on a level slab, set the deck the drive
belts and the brakes up so that everything works as intended.

Oh, and drain all the oil from the engine and replace, and replace the
plug too. Check air filters also. And reset any throttle cables and
choke mechanisms if they exist.

Id its a non hydraulic transmission, these do engage very
fiercely..there is an art to 'letting in the clutch' or whatever it is..

Very little of this is in the owners manual: you are expected to get the
thing serviced by a service centre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Harry Bloomfield contains these words:

I'm just a bit unsure of how it should be driven - as in I'm stalling
it rather a lot. It is a 7 speed + reverse. I come to a stop going
forward hold the brake on and move the F/N/R lever to reverse and it
stalls and the same when trying to go forward again. If I don't touch
the brake, just move the F/N/R lever it doesn't stall, but surely I
ought to be able to hold it on the brake?

I have a Lawnflite 603. That only has 5 speeds (forward and reverse) but
the cutter won't work in reverse. Not sure if that is from a misguided
safety POV or whether the whole geartrain is reversed making it
impracticable but it sounds as yours will cut when reversing, so is it
meant to or has someone been messing with the cut-outs?

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
The message
from Harry Bloomfield contains these words:

I'm just a bit unsure of how it should be driven - as in I'm stalling
it rather a lot. It is a 7 speed + reverse. I come to a stop going
forward hold the brake on and move the F/N/R lever to reverse and it
stalls and the same when trying to go forward again. If I don't touch
the brake, just move the F/N/R lever it doesn't stall, but surely I
ought to be able to hold it on the brake?

I have a Lawnflite 603. That only has 5 speeds (forward and reverse) but
the cutter won't work in reverse. Not sure if that is from a misguided

Mine is supposed to be like that - but there seems to be time where it
does not seem to notice. It might be that if you attempt to engage the
PTO while in reverse it stops, but if you engage reverse while the PTO
is already on its ok. (I shall explicitly try next time I am on it and
see if I can work out the dependencies).

safety POV or whether the whole geartrain is reversed making it
impracticable but it sounds as yours will cut when reversing, so is it
meant to or has someone been messing with the cut-outs?

On mine the PTO spindle is completely separate from anything to do with
the drive...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher formulated on Thursday :
You nearly always run these things at full speed to get cutter power, and
modulate the cut rate with the speed. If its stalling on an unloaded cutter
deck, it may need a service. Like getting a decades worth of wound up nettles
(approximately as tough as wire rope) from out of the bearings.

That sounds a likely and from what general information I have managed
to find on the MTD site, is seems it is supposed to stall if reverse is
selected when the cutter deck is down.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

I have a Lawnflite 603. That only has 5 speeds (forward and reverse) but
the cutter won't work in reverse. Not sure if that is from a misguided

Mine is supposed to be like that - but there seems to be time where it
does not seem to notice. It might be that if you attempt to engage the
PTO while in reverse it stops, but if you engage reverse while the PTO
is already on its ok. (I shall explicitly try next time I am on it and
see if I can work out the dependencies).

safety POV or whether the whole geartrain is reversed making it
impracticable but it sounds as yours will cut when reversing, so is it
meant to or has someone been messing with the cut-outs?

On mine the PTO spindle is completely separate from anything to do with
the drive...

I am now on my 4th ride-on. (First 2 were stolen, the 2nd by the same
thieves who stole the first). 4 different makes, 2 cut when reversing, 2
didn't. With some awkward corners I find it a bit of a pain to have to
disengage the cutter before selecting reverse.

--
Roger Chapman