Posted to alt.home.repair

Default VCR OTA Connection

VHS recording
Yes, I still have one of those 'ancient' gadgets and it still works....BUT....since the Time Warner/CBS 'warfare' I am now stuck on how I can record some of my favorite shows on CBS from time to time. ON cable it was all set up to record CBS, but now I am using my OTA connection to view CBS ( I live In NYC ). My wires are coming straight from the VHS recorder to my TV and my cable channels can get recorded...BUT, i am stumped doing the same now with my OTA connection.BTW, I am using my RCA cables, not hdmi, nor component connections. ( VCR has neither ) Do I need some kind of an adapter...A/B switch???or something? MY TV is Samsung 55" LCD.
Posted to alt.home.repair

you will need a digital converter to convert OTA digital content to analog yur vcr can record.

altough it costs more a TIVO is far more convenient

picture quality is better, no tapes to mess with, easy skipping past commercials.

DVRs have become very popular for excellent reasons
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:02:13 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
you will need a digital converter to convert OTA digital content to analog yur vcr can record.

altough it costs more a TIVO is far more convenient

picture quality is better, no tapes to mess with, easy skipping past commercials.

DVRs have become very popular for excellent reasons

MY TV is digital and i do see my digital channels over my OTA setup. So if i can see it, wouldn't a non digital vcr able to record it? It is now set up to record my digital cable chnls..but since CBS can only be seen on my OTA, I am hoping to record that chnl that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

do your digital channels come from a cable box? the cable box converts it to a format the tv can see

in any case you can buy a low cost digital to analog converter to get your Cbs channel.

it will probably be easier to devote a dedicated Vcr for recording this one channel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/13 6:44 PM, novel wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:02:13 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
you will need a digital converter to convert OTA digital content to analog yur vcr can record.

altough it costs more a TIVO is far more convenient

picture quality is better, no tapes to mess with, easy skipping past commercials.

DVRs have become very popular for excellent reasons

MY TV is digital and i do see my digital channels over my OTA setup. So if i can see it, wouldn't a non digital vcr able to record it? It is now set up to record my digital cable chnls..but since CBS can only be seen on my OTA, I am hoping to record that chnl that way.

Does the TV have RCA *output* jacks ?? or composite coax *output*
jacks ?? if not then the fact you have a digital TV is no help. OTA
converted to digital in 2009, and unless your VCR has a digital tuner,
it can't record the OTA signal. Assuming your VCR *inputs* are analog,
you need something that outputs analog to record from.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 02:08:44 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 12:57:41 -0700 (PDT), novel
wrote:

VHS recording
Yes, I still have one of those 'ancient' gadgets and it still works....BUT...since the Time Warner/CBS 'warfare' I am now stuck on how I can record some of my favorite shows on CBS from time to time. ON cable it was all set up to record CBS, but now I am using my OTA connection to view CBS ( I live In NYC ). My wires are coming straight from the VHS recorder to my TV and my cable channels can get recorded...BUT, i am stumped doing the same now with my OTA connection.BTW, I am using my RCA cables, not hdmi, nor component connections. ( VCR has neither ) Do I need some kind of an adapter...A/B switch???or something? MY TV is Samsung 55" LCD.

I bet you can find one of those Guv'mint converters on Ebay for a
couple of bucks. Right after the conversion they were almost free with
the government coupon and lots of people got one or even 2. Now they
don't use them. unless they are in New York ;-)

They must still be using them because they are no way near as cheap as
you predicted them. Back in 2010 my friend and I had no plans to to
go to digital and like you, we predicted extra converter boxes would
be reallly cheap, as soon as people had mire time to buy digital tvs.
But it hasn't happened. The very cheapest I see is 17 dollars and
that has no remote. Most are a lot more. Even the remotes alone
start at 12 dollars.

In addition, I joined Freecycle, a very busy subgroup, and I've seen
about 5 requests for boxes, but no more than one offer in the past 3
years.

Some mba or economist should write a thesis on this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

VHS recording
Yes, I still have one of those 'ancient' gadgets and it still works....BUT...since the Time Warner/CBS 'warfare' I am now stuck on how I can record some of my favorite shows on CBS from time to time. ON cable it was all set up to record CBS, but now I am using my OTA connection to view CBS ( I live In NYC ).

NYC has very good over the air tv reception.

My wires are coming straight from the VHS recorder to my TV and my cable channels can get recorded...BUT, i am stumped doing the same now with my OTA connection.BTW, I am using my RCA cables, not hdmi, nor component connections. ( VCR has neither ) Do I need some kind of an adapter...A/B switch???

Where do you mean? Are you running both your cable and your antenna
to your VCR?. I think no one does that, because the cable signal will
get lost. Right? Below you seem to say No. Unless you have the
antenna signal going through a digital converter box first. Please
elaborate because I record the digital broadcast tv on my VCR too, but
I use a digital to analog converter first, one of the ones that they
gave 40 dollar coupons for.

Or do you mean you're running both your cable and your VCR output to
your television?

My answer will vary depending on which of these situations is yours.

Please let me know**

You coudl definitely use an A/B switch, but then you have the need to
be home and remember to set the switch for your next recording,

If it is input to the VCR, if this works, you might be better off with
a splittler, used as a merger/combiner, and put the cable in one
input, the antenna in the other and the common connector to the VCR.

When signals were analog, I tried this with one tv and its own rabbit
ears and a signal from the VCR in the other room, both coming in
through a splittler. I got interference.

I might have been using a splitter designed for the wrong frequencies.
I'm not sure two kinds exist, one for antenna frequencies and one for
the RF between the VCR etc. and the tv input.

Or it might be that the splitter I was using was too cheap. Only a
dollar maybe.

I had to go to the A/B switch, but this was a TV I watched, so I was
always there to change the switch. If it was too the VCR, I would
have tried harder to get the spliter to work.

or something? MY TV is Samsung 55" LCD.

You can split (merge) a lot of things. You can take two TV antennas
and merge their signals if say one is designed to get local stations
and the other a directional antenna meant for one direction 30 miles
away. Not useful in NYC.

BTW, I used to live in Brooklyn. From the roof of my building I could
see the WTC. I found an abandoned tv antenna on the roof, whose wire
went right by my window and I connected that and got perfect pictures
on all channels.

My friend still lives there on E. 57th. He gets great reception from
the Empiire State Building. (no cable.)

** because I want to record more (I have a DVDR, but I think the
signal amp in the attic has failed and the VCR gives better reception.
Plus once in a great while I want to record two channels at once.
(Don't tell about cable recorders that do that. I'm not spending the
money.) but I don't have the right remote for that, and can't get the
machine out of the fastest speed, 2 hours for a whole casstte. I
have 3 other VCRs and plan to use one of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

VHS recording

Yes, I still have one of those 'ancient' gadgets and it still works....BUT...since the Time Warner/CBS 'warfare' I am now stuck on how I can record some of my favorite shows on CBS from time to time. ON cable it was all set up to record CBS, but now I am using my OTA connection to view CBS ( I live In NYC ).

NYC has very good over the air tv reception.

My wires are coming straight from the VHS recorder to my TV and my cable channels can get recorded...BUT, i am stumped doing the same now with my OTA connection.BTW, I am using my RCA cables, not hdmi, nor component connections. ( VCR has neither ) Do I need some kind of an adapter...A/B switch???

Where do you mean?

Yeah, I don't get what he means either. In every case where
I've used a VCR, the VCR had a tuner. The signal flow was
from the antenna to the VCR to the TV for that mode. And
from the cable box, to the VCR to the TV for that mode. The
TV didn't output anything to the VCR. For the VCR to be able
to record anything today, it needs a tuner somewhere that is
a digital ATSC tuner that can receive the signal and output
that signal to the VCR. If he has an older NTSC TV, then he
has no ATSC tuner at all. If he has an newer TV that has a
digital ATSC tuner, then it may work IF the TV provides a
video output that is std, not HD and it's on a video output
that he can connect the VCR to. I would think the chance of
that is small. And even then, he would have to have the TV
tuned to whatever he wants to record, ie the VCR is not going
to be able to tune in to different channels at different times
to do programmed recording.

And I second Bob's recommendation of a Tivo DVR. They are
a bit pricey, one with a lifetime subscription was going
for around $550 last time I checked. But, here a DVR that
is available as part of the cable service costs an extra $10
a month. And with the Tivo, you don't need a cable box,
instead you rent a cablecard from the cable company. That
is $3 less than the box. So, I save $13 a month. In a few
years, you're even. And as Bob said, the Tivo ease of use
and functionality blows away the Cablevision cable box and
DVR and every other cable one that I've seen. As a example,
you can set it up to auto-record any movie that is playing
at anytime on any channel with Joe Pesci in it. Or if
you're into snowboarding, you can have it auto-record any
show that has that keyword in the description. You can
also watch youtube videos on it too, which is a nice feature.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Novel,

I watch OTA and have a VCR wired into my sysytem. Here's a guess on how
you can do this. Your antenna should connect to you digital convertor box..
The convertor box heads to the VCR in. The VCR out heads to an A/B switch
box, as does the cable box. The A/B box heads to the TV.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 19, 2013 8:58:21 AM UTC-4, David L. Martel wrote:
Novel,

I watch OTA and have a VCR wired into my sysytem. Here's a guess on how

you can do this. Your antenna should connect to you digital convertor box..

The convertor box heads to the VCR in. The VCR out heads to an A/B switch

box, as does the cable box. The A/B box heads to the TV.

Dave M.

The problem is he apparently doesn't have an OTA converter box because
he's been using cable. Even if he gets a converter box, which are
probably pretty cheap by now, I'm not sure how useful that would be.
The biggest use for VCR is recording programs on various channels at
various times. Can you do that with the converter boxes, ie program
them to tune channel x at time y?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Trader,

The problem is he apparently doesn't have an OTA converter box because
he's been using cable.

He does not mention whether he has a convertor box. He will need one.

Even if he gets a converter box, which are
probably pretty cheap by now, I'm not sure how useful that would be.
The biggest use for VCR is recording programs on various channels at
various times.

No, the biggest use of VCRs is to watch pre-recorded tapes. He will be
able to do this.
He wishes to tape CBS OTA. He can do this by setting the convertor box to
CBS and programming the VCR to record the output of the convertor box
(probably ch. 3) at the appropriate time. He can certainly watch cable and
most likely CBS while the taping is being done

Can you do that with the converter boxes, ie program
them to tune channel x at time y?

He didn't ask that question and I did not answer it. My convertor box
does not do this.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

MIckey,
sorry for whatever confusion I unintentionally caused. No, I do not have both my cable box and ota connected to my vcr. Not possible I guess. Yes, after reading other comments here it seems I need the converter box that would transform the channels digitally. I fortunately still have one left from my old 13" analog TV, which i do not use anymore. So that seems to be the one solution, but then I lose my recordings of my cable channels. I know i would have to auto search for channels with the converter box. As for when i was recording my cable channels, all i needed to make sure that i left the box on the channel that i wanted to record, which in turn goes on my VCR 03 input. I do not even thing a A/B switch could help in this situation to get both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 19, 2013 8:58:21 AM UTC-4, David L. Martel wrote:
Novel,

I watch OTA and have a VCR wired into my sysytem. Here's a guess on how

you can do this. Your antenna should connect to you digital convertor box..

The convertor box heads to the VCR in. The VCR out heads to an A/B switch

box, as does the cable box. The A/B box heads to the TV.

Dave M.

David, with this setup, you are able to record your cable channels too?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 19, 2013 12:13:32 PM UTC-4, David L. Martel wrote:
Trader,

The problem is he apparently doesn't have an OTA converter box because

he's been using cable.

He does not mention whether he has a convertor box. He will need one.

Even if he gets a converter box, which are

probably pretty cheap by now, I'm not sure how useful that would be.

The biggest use for VCR is recording programs on various channels at

various times.

No, the biggest use of VCRs is to watch pre-recorded tapes.

I don't think there are very many people watching VCR tapes today. In any case, clearly the OP wants to use his to record programs.

He will be

able to do this.

He wishes to tape CBS OTA. He can do this by setting the convertor box to

CBS and programming the VCR to record the output of the convertor box

(probably ch. 3) at the appropriate time. He can certainly watch cable and

most likely CBS while the taping is being done

Yes, I agree with that. I missed the part that all he cared about
was one channel, CBS.

Can you do that with the converter boxes, ie program

them to tune channel x at time y?

He didn't ask that question and I did not answer it. My convertor box

does not do this.

Dave M.

Even if he didn't ask it, it would seem an appropriate question
to figure out before he buys a converter. If there are some available
that are smart and can be programmed to switch channels, then he could
record other channels besides just CBS.

But if I were him, I'd look at buying a Tivo DVR. It
will record cable and OTA. And the money you typically save by
not paying for a cable box DVR pays for it in a few years. After
that, you're saving money each additional month. With Cablevision
I'm paying $13 less a month than I would for their cable box
and DVR.

I also can't imagine that anyone could tolerate looking at anything recorded on VCR on a 55" TV. It's going to look like crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 19, 2013 12:30:55 PM UTC-4, novel wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2013 8:58:21 AM UTC-4, David L. Martel wrote:

Novel,

I watch OTA and have a VCR wired into my sysytem. Here's a guess on how

you can do this. Your antenna should connect to you digital convertor box..

The convertor box heads to the VCR in. The VCR out heads to an A/B switch

box, as does the cable box. The A/B box heads to the TV.

Dave M.

David, with this setup, you are able to record your cable channels too?

You're apparently using composite video to go from the cable box to the
VCR and to the TV and you can record that, correct? If so, then the
easiest thing is probably if the VCR has another input and the tuner
box you buy has the same output. Then you could use the VCR to select
whether you record from the cable or from the OTA tuner. They both
might have S-VHS for example. Or you could use the RF output from
the OTA tuner to go to the VCR, they both would have that. Then you
just select from the VCR which input to record.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Novel,

David, with this setup, you are able to record your cable channels too?

No this set up will not record the cable channels. You didn't ask for
that.
Here's how you set that up. Hook you antenna up to the convertor box.
hook the convertor box to an A/B switch. Hook your cable box to the other
input of the A/B switch. Hook the output of the A/B box to the VCR. Hook the
VCR output to the TV input.
Now you can record both OTA or cable but you won't be able to watch cable
while recording OTA or vice versa.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 19, 2013 3:49:51 PM UTC-4, David L. Martel wrote:
Novel,

David, with this setup, you are able to record your cable channels too?

No this set up will not record the cable channels. You didn't ask for

that.

Actually he did. He said he was already recording the cable channels and now that CBS is not available on cable, he wants to be able to record
that from antenna.

Another point no one has raised is that this whole thing is
a result of a spat between the cable company and CBS and/or the
CBS local affiliate as to how much they should be paid. In almost all cases these disputes are resolved in a week or two and the channel returns. So, I would guess it's a temporary problem.

Here's how you set that up. Hook you antenna up to the convertor box.

hook the convertor box to an A/B switch. Hook your cable box to the other

input of the A/B switch. Hook the output of the A/B box to the VCR. Hook the

VCR output to the TV input.

Now you can record both OTA or cable but you won't be able to watch cable

while recording OTA or vice versa.

Dave M.

As I suggested, he could also use different inputs on the VCR
for the cable box and the converter, without the need for a
switch box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

might be easier to buy a second VCR at goodwill, around here they are 5 bucks each, dedicate it to recording CBS using the digital converter to just that second VCR......

with a A B switch to pick which VCR you want to watch....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 19, 2013 9:47:33 PM UTC-4, pilgrim wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 12:57:41 -0700 (PDT), novel wrote:

VHS recording

Yes, I still have one of those 'ancient' gadgets and it still works....BUT...since the Time Warner/CBS 'warfare' I am now stuck on how I can record some of my favorite shows on CBS from time to time. ON cable it was all set up to record CBS, but now I am using my OTA connection to view CBS ( I live In NYC ). My wires are coming straight from the VHS recorder to my TV and my cable channels can get recorded...BUT, i am stumped doing the same now with my OTA connection.BTW, I am using my RCA cables, not hdmi, nor component connections. ( VCR has neither ) Do I need some kind of an adapter...A/B switch???or something? MY TV is Samsung 55" LCD.

Connect the co-ax cable from your digital OTA source (rabbit ears or

whatever) to the input co-ax connection on your old digital-to-analog

converter. Then use a short piece of co-ax cable to connect the output

co-ax connection of the converter to the input co-ax connection of your old

analog VHS recorder. Finally, use RCA connectors to hook the VHS output to

your 55" TV just as you did before.

Now, connect the co-ax cable from the cable co. to the co-ax input of the

55" TV and you're in business.

No HD cable box uses a coax connection from the cable box to the TV. It's either HDMI or component video

No splitters; no A-B boxes.

You will be able to record only OTA with this setup. If you want to record

OTA and cable you will need a splitter. Post again and all will be

revealed to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why is it not possible? Even more important, how have you been
recording cable stations until now? (I"ll assume you use the VCR, but
you still haven't said. You might also be using a function of the
cable box.)

Yes, after reading other comments here it seems I need the converter box that would transform the channels digitally. I fortunately still have one left from my old 13" analog TV, which i do not use anymore. So that seems to be the one solution, but then I lose my recordings of my cable channels.

Do you mean you will lose future recordings? Why?

I know i would have to auto search for channels with the converter box. As for when i was recording my cable channels, all i needed to make sure that i left the box on the channel that i wanted to record, which in turn goes on my VCR 03 input.

The digital to analog converter box also outputs on channel 3.

I do not even thing a A/B switch could help in this situation to get both.

Why not? Take gfretwell's answer and use an A/B switch to switch
input to the VCR from the converter box output to the cable box
outlet.

Or perhaps use a splitter to have both of them connected all the time.
That is better, if it works and gives a good picture for both. (One
of my problems was that the DVDR was in the other room, and I didn't
want to have to go to the other room to turn it off, so it caused
interference, but if your cable box is in the same room, you can turn
it off, or maybe you can leave it on and use the A/B switch and it's
the same level of inconvenience either way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:42:06 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Even if they don't *both* have the same kind of output, part of the
recording is choosing the input, and if one is RF channel 3, and the
other composite, the timer can be set to record the right one with the
right time, and that will work fine too. It will be better because
no A/B switch will be needed. The VCR will take care of the choice.

Then you
just select from the VCR which input to record.

Right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:03:19 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Even if he didn't ask it, it would seem an appropriate question
to figure out before he buys a converter. If there are some available
that are smart and can be programmed to switch channels, then he could
record other channels besides just CBS.

Only one brand that I know of. I still forget the name but it was a
cable company, of all things, Not sure, but I think its colors were
green and yellow.

I also can't imagine that anyone could tolerate looking at anything recorded on VCR on a 55" TV. It's going to look like crap.

But he's been doing it . I don't know. My tv's range from 14" to
19". I have no room for anything bigger than 25" ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:49:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:39:21 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

No HD cable box uses a coax connection from the cable box to the TV. It's either HDMI or component video

He doesn't need to do anything with the cable box to TV link.

I agree. I was merely pointing it out that the link between a
cable box and a 55" TV isn't coax, to avoid more confusion.
I think it's safe to assume that he does have the cable box also
connected directly to the TV, but he hasn't stated that.

The VCR A/V out goes to the TV A/V in now

AFAIK, that's all that the only connection that he's made
clear. As I pointed out before, it's not even clear how he's
been recording cable channels until now, ie has he been:

1 - using the VCR connected to a std definition output on the cable box

2 - using a DVR built into the cable box

Using a VCR to record and playback shows on a 55" TV is
sure going to look like crap.

Hook the antenna to converter then RF to the VCR RF in

Hook the cable box A/V out to the VCR A/V in

(that lets him record both)

Yes, I agree. That's one of the methods that I've been saying too.
Use one input on the VCR for the converter, one for the cable box
std def output, and then select the source using the VCR. He'd
also want another connection between the cable box and the TV so
that he can have HD and also be able to watch a cable show while
recording an OTA show on the VCR. That connection would be HDMI or
component video. You would think 99% probability he already has
that, but then you never know.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

No HD cable box uses a coax connection from the cable box to the TV. It's either HDMI or component video

My Samsung cable box has one coax output that says "out to TV"and i have that connected to my rf of the vcr and able to record cable digital channel..but the consensus here seems to be that i need a converter box, cause my old VCR is not digital.. ..so why would i need a converter box?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No HD cable box uses a coax connection from the cable box to the TV. It's either HDMI or component video

He doesn't need to do anything with the cable box to TV link.

The VCR A/V out goes to the TV A/V in now

Hook the antenna to converter then RF to the VCR RF in

Hook the cable box A/V out to the VCR A/V in

(that lets him record both)

As the OP, wouldn't that be awkward? I mean i have to do auto channel search for OTA. So how does the vcr know how to record off cable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree. I was merely pointing it out that the link between a
cable box and a 55" TV isn't coax, to avoid more confusion.
I think it's safe to assume that he does have the cable box also
connected directly to the TV, but he hasn't stated that.

Yes, that is how i am able to view my cable channels via component connections from the box to the TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:48:07 PM UTC-4, novel wrote:
No HD cable box uses a coax connection from the cable box to the TV. It's either HDMI or component video

My Samsung cable box has one coax output that says "out to TV"and i have that connected to my rf of the vcr and able to record cable digital channel...but the consensus here seems to be that i need a converter box, cause my old VCR is not digital.. ..so why would i need a converter box?

The RF Coax out from that cable box is not HD. It's a standard definition
signal that the box has for flexibility so you can use it with an old
analog TV. The post I made the comment about no HD cable box using a coax connection to the TV was where the poster said to use a coax connection
from the cable box to your 55" LCD. That makes no sense because to get HD
it's either HDMI or component video. You said elsewhere that you are using
component video.

As to why you need the converter box, you need it because you said you
want to receive CBS over the air. That is because Cablevision is having
some spat with CBS and it's gone, probably temporarily, right? All broadcast
signals today are digital, ATSC. That VCR has an NTSC tuner for a signal
in a freq band and transmission format that no longer exists, the transmitters were turned off maybe 8 years ago? The converter takes the digital ATSC signal from the antenna, tunes it in, takes that digital channel that you've tuned in and puts it out in NTSC on an RF output which the tuner in the VCR then receives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No HD cable box uses a coax connection from the cable box to the TV. It's either HDMI or component video

He doesn't need to do anything with the cable box to TV link.

The VCR A/V out goes to the TV A/V in now

Hook the antenna to converter then RF to the VCR RF in

Hook the cable box A/V out to the VCR A/V in

(that lets him record both)

As the OP, wouldn't that be awkward? I mean i have to do auto channel search for OTA. So how does the vcr know how to record off cable?

I thought that part of your setup already worked. Or do you mean
"How *would* the vcr know...." Because some vcrs let you specify AV
(or AV1 and AV2) as input sources, when you set up timed recording.
All let you do it manually.

I'm tired of the bits and pieces presentation in this thread, starting
with the first post.

By now you know what we think is important.

Please tell us how it is wired now, including all the parts you are
using, all the wires, all the connections, what it does that you want,
and what it does not do, whether the cable box has a dvr in it or
you're using the VCR to record cable, everything in one post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No HD cable box uses a coax connection from the cable box to the TV. It's either HDMI or component video

He doesn't need to do anything with the cable box to TV link.

The VCR A/V out goes to the TV A/V in now

Hook the antenna to converter then RF to the VCR RF in

Hook the cable box A/V out to the VCR A/V in

(that lets him record both)

As the OP, wouldn't that be awkward? I mean i have to do auto channel search for OTA. So how does the vcr know how to record off cable?

It just gets more confusing. You said you were already using the VCR to
record off cable and it was working:

"BUT...since the Time Warner/CBS 'warfare' I am now stuck on how I can record some of my favorite shows on CBS from time to time. ON cable it was all set up to record CBS, but now I am using my OTA connection to view CBS ( I live In NYC ). My wires are coming straight from the VHS recorder to my TV and my cable channels can get recorded..."

Which sounded strange to me. Because as I said earlier, anything
recorded on a VCR and played back on a 55" HDTV is going to look
like crap. I could see doing that temporarily, until Cablevision
gets CBS back. But from what you said, it sounds like you've been
recording on that VCR all along?
Posted to alt.home.repair

novel wrote:

No HD cable box uses a coax connection from the cable box to the TV. It's either HDMI or component video

My Samsung cable box has one coax output that says "out to TV"and i have that connected to my rf of the vcr and able to record cable digital channel..but the consensus here seems to be that i need a converter box, cause my old VCR is not digital.. ..so why would i need a converter box?

Hi.
Converter box will convert OTA digital signal to analog signal(older
NTSC TV format). And the box typically has RCA output you can plug into
the VCR. There is all kinda adaptor for converting thiss and that
ssignal from digital to analog or whatever. If you must keep using VCR,
then do ssome checking out and decide on on what to do.

I have an OTA digital converter hooked into a flat panel LCD PC monitor
fed via RCA cables in my garage. I can watch TV while I am doing
something there. Inside the house, full feature HT which one remote can
do all the chores. Wife's favorite. I even heard a divorce caused by
multi remote frustration..., LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No HD cable box uses a coax connection from the cable box to the TV. It's either HDMI or component video

He doesn't need to do anything with the cable box to TV link.

The VCR A/V out goes to the TV A/V in now

Hook the antenna to converter then RF to the VCR RF in

Hook the cable box A/V out to the VCR A/V in

(that lets him record both)

As the OP, wouldn't that be awkward? I mean i have to do auto channel search for OTA. So how does the vcr know how to record off cable?

I thought that part of your setup already worked.

+1

Or do you mean

"How *would* the vcr know...." Because some vcrs let you specify AV

(or AV1 and AV2) as input sources, when you set up timed recording.

All let you do it manually.

I'm tired of the bits and pieces presentation in this thread, starting

with the first post.

Uh oh....

By now you know what we think is important.

Please tell us how it is wired now, including all the parts you are

using, all the wires, all the connections, what it does that you want,

and what it does not do, whether the cable box has a dvr in it or

you're using the VCR to record cable, everything in one post.

I almost posted that myself, but trying to be kinder and
gentler, held back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It seems one of the reasons I post to Usenet is to let my aggressive
feelings out. Of course I wouldn't have so many aggressive feelings
if I didn't read Usenet.

Bad connection on tv Puddin' Man Electronics Repair 5 September 6th 09 08:43 PM
Best connection Charlie[_7_] Electronics Repair 5 January 15th 09 03:19 PM
28mm connection - hose connection asalcedo UK diy 0 September 26th 08 07:14 PM
Gas hob connection CS UK diy 8 February 15th 08 07:50 AM
Help on Gas Hob Connection pls...???? Kaiser Sose UK diy 11 January 17th 07 08:18 PM