Posted to uk.d-i-y
CS CS is offline

Default Gas hob connection

Gas hobs have a male 1/2 inc BSP threaded connection on the supply
pipe. Can I screw this into a standard female 1/2 inch BSP to 15mm
compression fitting. I then want to fit a 15mm to 10mm reducing
fitting to connect to the 10mm copper tube supplying propane???

TVMIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:34:21 -0800, CS wrote:

Gas hobs have a male 1/2 inc BSP threaded connection on the supply
pipe. Can I screw this into a standard female 1/2 inch BSP to 15mm
compression fitting. I then want to fit a 15mm to 10mm reducing
fitting to connect to the 10mm copper tube supplying propane???

I'm not going to answer that on the grounds that it *sounds* as if you
don't know enough about gas fitting to do this job safely, especially with
LPG. Forgive me if I'm wrong but generally that sort of question
does not go with a good understanding of LPG fitting and testing.

--
John Stumbles

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:19:16 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:34:21 -0800, CS wrote:

Gas hobs have a male 1/2 inc BSP threaded connection on the supply
pipe. Can I screw this into a standard female 1/2 inch BSP to 15mm
compression fitting. I then want to fit a 15mm to 10mm reducing fitting
to connect to the 10mm copper tube supplying propane???

I'm not going to answer that on the grounds that it *sounds* as if you
don't know enough about gas fitting to do this job safely, especially
with LPG. Forgive me if I'm wrong but generally that sort of question
does not go with a good understanding of LPG fitting and testing.

Agreed, LPG is a magnitude more hazardous than NG.
It's one thing to point out something from a secret (oops sorry)
normative document it's another when there is an apparent lack of
knowledge of basic plumbing fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:19:16 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:34:21 -0800, CS wrote:

Gas hobs have a male 1/2 inc BSP threaded connection on the supply
pipe. Can I screw this into a standard female 1/2 inch BSP to 15mm
compression fitting. I then want to fit a 15mm to 10mm reducing fitting
to connect to the 10mm copper tube supplying propane???

I'm not going to answer that on the grounds that it *sounds* as if you
don't know enough about gas fitting to do this job safely, especially
with LPG. Forgive me if I'm wrong but generally that sort of question
does not go with a good understanding of LPG fitting and testing.

Agreed, LPG is a magnitude more hazardous than NG.

Why is that, out of interest?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2008 08:33, Lobster wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:

LPG is a magnitude more hazardous than NG.

Why is that, out of interest?

Heavier than air for one, so leaks will tend to pool rather than
disperse, the pool grows until it finds an ignition source.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:33:23 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Agreed, LPG is a magnitude more hazardous than NG.

Why is that, out of interest?

LPG is heavier than air and will find it's way to lowest points, often
enclosed and then build up to concentration levels that rather too easily
go *BANG*. NG is lighter than air thus floats up and away. Most enclosed
areas at the top of buildings are ventilated, basements and cellers
frequently aren't at least not very well down at floor level.

Propane 1.882 kg/m^3 @ NTP
Butane 2.5 kg/m^3 @ STP
NG 0.7 - 0.9 kg/m^3 @ STP

NTP = 20C @ 1.01325 bar
STP = 0C @ 1.01325 bar

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ga...ity-d_158.html

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:33:23 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:19:16 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:34:21 -0800, CS wrote:

Gas hobs have a male 1/2 inc BSP threaded connection on the supply
pipe. Can I screw this into a standard female 1/2 inch BSP to 15mm
compression fitting. I then want to fit a 15mm to 10mm reducing
fitting to connect to the 10mm copper tube supplying propane???
I'm not going to answer that on the grounds that it *sounds* as if you
don't know enough about gas fitting to do this job safely, especially
with LPG. Forgive me if I'm wrong but generally that sort of question
does not go with a good understanding of LPG fitting and testing.

Agreed, LPG is a magnitude more hazardous than NG.

Why is that, out of interest?

David

Several reasons:
It's denser than air and can collect in low lying places.
The lower explosive limit is at a smaller concentration.
The energy is greater for a given volume.
The gas can attack certain types of seals, sealnts and fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CS CS is offline

Marvellous - why bother replying if you have nothing useful to say!!!
It is 20 years since I last fitted a gas hob and cannot recall what
the connection is. All sorted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CS wrote:
Marvellous - why bother replying if you have nothing useful to say!!!
It is 20 years since I last fitted a gas hob and cannot recall what
the connection is. All sorted.

May you rest in peace.

David

microbore connection [email protected] UK diy 7 April 3rd 07 09:19 AM
Help on Gas Hob Connection pls...???? Kaiser Sose UK diy 11 January 17th 07 08:18 PM
EDF 3 phase connection Andrew Mawson UK diy 15 January 14th 07 10:30 PM
ROS/ DC Connection efgh Woodworking 7 December 2nd 06 02:13 AM
abs/pvc connection Steve B Home Repair 1 August 23rd 06 03:23 AM