Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Gas hob connection

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:33:23 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:19:16 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:34:21 -0800, CS wrote:

Gas hobs have a male 1/2 inc BSP threaded connection on the supply
pipe. Can I screw this into a standard female 1/2 inch BSP to 15mm
compression fitting. I then want to fit a 15mm to 10mm reducing
fitting to connect to the 10mm copper tube supplying propane???
I'm not going to answer that on the grounds that it *sounds* as if you
don't know enough about gas fitting to do this job safely, especially
with LPG. Forgive me if I'm wrong but generally that sort of question
does not go with a good understanding of LPG fitting and testing.

Agreed, LPG is a magnitude more hazardous than NG.

Why is that, out of interest?

David

Several reasons:
It's denser than air and can collect in low lying places.
The lower explosive limit is at a smaller concentration.
The energy is greater for a given volume.
The gas can attack certain types of seals, sealnts and fittings.