Old August 16th 13, 02:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default what is a good garbage disposal for stainless steel sinks?

Nate Nagel wrote:
On 8/15/2013 11:29 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:35:27 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

yeah the only real concern with a SS sink, unless it's really flimsy (16
gauge should be OK, I'd think) is noise, as the SS will tend to amplify
any noise from the disposer. If you've got a good sink with a resonance
damping coating this will help. If you just have a bare SS sink I would
put something on it to quiet it down, look to your local mobile stereo
installer for products, there are brush/spray on products like Lizard
Skin and also stick on products like Dynamat. Apply to underside of
sink bowl. This is a good way to make an inexpensive sink sound like a
more expensive upscale sink. Also when picking a disposal there is a
difference in sound levels between models, read the labels/specs to pick
what you think will be good for you.

If you're replacing an existing disposer, if you buy one of the more
"upscale" quiet disposers it will undoubtedly be quieter than whatever
the builder put in.

I just replaced a disposer a few weeks ago in a townhouse that's about
30 years old, with presumably the original SS sink. I didn't see any
issues other than that the 30 year old disposer had finally failed
(shaft seal had failed allowing water to run through the motor and
eventually the water started dripping on the cabinet floor and the
disposer's bearings locked up.) New disposer is working fine in
original SS sink. I used a ISE "Badger" 3/4hp model, not the least
expensive model but pretty close to it (I didn't want to put in a
disposer with a lower HP rating than the original, but I was doing it
for a tenant as her landlord was unavailable at the time, and didn't
want to cause tension by getting too fancy a model either) and it's not
particularly quiet, but sounds just like every other disposer out there
pretty much.

I like using ISE because they're very common and I like their mounting
setup where you can remove the whole disposer with a hammer,
screwdriver, and pair of slip joint pliers, plus if the thing fails
again for whatever reason it's likely that an ISE replacement will go
right on the mounting flange saving time (the one I replaced I don't
remember the brand - GE maybe? - but it had a different mounting
arrangement, so I had to remove the old mount from the sink and use the
new one that came with the new disposer. Not the end of the world, but
it made the job take a little more time.)

nate

What Nate said.

I would add that for dampening the sound of the sink from the GD to
use some 1" thick X 4" wide rigid foam strips glued to the bottom and
sides of the sink, underneath?

That's essentially what Dynamat does and how it's applied, but it's more
like really thick tar paper than rigid foam.

nate

Right, it's got some weight to it. Many sinks already have something
attached, but you can add more.

Greg

Old July 30th 20, 04:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I just want to tell based on my personal experience of using the Garbage Disposals, Just Go with Stainless Steel garbage Disposals as they are highly durable and Long Lasting.

Also Some Disposals Come with really Advanced Features. If you are still confused, I just found the list of Best Garbage Disposals having the Stainless Steel Build Components. Check This Out https://thegarbagedisposal.com/best-...bage-disposal/
Old July 30th 20, 04:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2020 11:20 AM, wrote:
I just want to tell based on my personal experience of using the Garbage Disposals, Just Go with Stainless Steel garbage Disposals as they are highly durable and Long Lasting.

Also Some Disposals Come with really Advanced Features. If you are still confused, I just found the list of Best Garbage Disposals having the Stainless Steel Build Components. Check This Out
https://thegarbageto money.com/best=china-made=crap-garbage

Can you recommend one I can put SPAM down the drain? You seem to have a
lot pf personal experience with it.

Stainless Steel Sinks mark UK diy 23 January 18th 09 08:41 PM
Cheap stainless steel sinks PigPOg UK diy 5 March 12th 07 04:50 PM
Stainless Steel Sinks kim14 Home Repair 1 July 3rd 06 03:25 AM
Stainless Steel Sinks Tom O'Connor Home Repair 1 July 2nd 06 04:52 PM
Stainless Steel Sinks kim14 Home Repair 0 July 2nd 06 03:45 PM