Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what is a good garbage disposal for stainless steel sinks?

Heard that stainless steel sinks cannot sustain heavy garbage disposals
and may make the disposal more noisy. I am considering either a
InSinkErator Evolution Compact which is listed at 20 pounds or a
WasteKing L3300 that is spec at 12.4 pounds. Both are 3/4 HP which is
fine for our needs. I'm wondering if the sink can withstand the 20 pound
InSinkErator weight. Sink is 16 gauge thick. Any experiences on mounting
and noise considerations?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ks-759452-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

my bone crusher died recently, it lived its life on my low end stanless sink, not knowing what it weighs, i installed it over 15 years ago..

weight never appeared to be a issue, although it was noisey
Posted to alt.home.repair

You realize this is Usenet, not a web forum?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/14/2013 6:44 PM, NMHQ in LA wrote:
--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ks-759452-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2013 6:44 PM, NMHQ in LA wrote:
Heard that stainless steel sinks cannot sustain heavy garbage disposals
and may make the disposal more noisy. I am considering either a
InSinkErator Evolution Compact which is listed at 20 pounds or a
WasteKing L3300 that is spec at 12.4 pounds. Both are 3/4 HP which is
fine for our needs. I'm wondering if the sink can withstand the 20 pound
InSinkErator weight. Sink is 16 gauge thick. Any experiences on mounting
and noise considerations?

I have a big Kitchen Aid in my SS sink. No problem with weight or
noise. ISE is made by the same parent company and is a good brand also.
No experience with Waste King. Most disposals have easy mount systems
too so installation is not a big deal

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2013 9:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/14/2013 6:44 PM, NMHQ in LA wrote:
Heard that stainless steel sinks cannot sustain heavy garbage disposals
and may make the disposal more noisy. I am considering either a
InSinkErator Evolution Compact which is listed at 20 pounds or a
WasteKing L3300 that is spec at 12.4 pounds. Both are 3/4 HP which is
fine for our needs. I'm wondering if the sink can withstand the 20
pound
InSinkErator weight. Sink is 16 gauge thick. Any experiences on mounting
and noise considerations?

I have a big Kitchen Aid in my SS sink. No problem with weight or
noise. ISE is made by the same parent company and is a good brand also.
No experience with Waste King. Most disposals have easy mount systems
too so installation is not a big deal

yeah the only real concern with a SS sink, unless it's really flimsy (16
gauge should be OK, I'd think) is noise, as the SS will tend to amplify
any noise from the disposer. If you've got a good sink with a resonance
damping coating this will help. If you just have a bare SS sink I would
put something on it to quiet it down, look to your local mobile stereo
installer for products, there are brush/spray on products like Lizard
Skin and also stick on products like Dynamat. Apply to underside of
sink bowl. This is a good way to make an inexpensive sink sound like a
more expensive upscale sink. Also when picking a disposal there is a
difference in sound levels between models, read the labels/specs to pick
what you think will be good for you.

If you're replacing an existing disposer, if you buy one of the more
"upscale" quiet disposers it will undoubtedly be quieter than whatever
the builder put in.

I just replaced a disposer a few weeks ago in a townhouse that's about
30 years old, with presumably the original SS sink. I didn't see any
issues other than that the 30 year old disposer had finally failed
(shaft seal had failed allowing water to run through the motor and
eventually the water started dripping on the cabinet floor and the
disposer's bearings locked up.) New disposer is working fine in
original SS sink. I used a ISE "Badger" 3/4hp model, not the least
expensive model but pretty close to it (I didn't want to put in a
disposer with a lower HP rating than the original, but I was doing it
for a tenant as her landlord was unavailable at the time, and didn't
want to cause tension by getting too fancy a model either) and it's not
particularly quiet, but sounds just like every other disposer out there
pretty much.

I like using ISE because they're very common and I like their mounting
setup where you can remove the whole disposer with a hammer,
screwdriver, and pair of slip joint pliers, plus if the thing fails
again for whatever reason it's likely that an ISE replacement will go
right on the mounting flange saving time (the one I replaced I don't
remember the brand - GE maybe? - but it had a different mounting
arrangement, so I had to remove the old mount from the sink and use the
new one that came with the new disposer. Not the end of the world, but
it made the job take a little more time.)

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:35:27 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

[...]

What Nate said.

I would add that for dampening the sound of the sink from the GD to
use some 1" thick X 4" wide rigid foam strips glued to the bottom and
sides of the sink, underneath?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's essentially what Dynamat does and how it's applied, but it's more
like really thick tar paper than rigid foam.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/14/2013 6:44 PM, NMHQ in LA wrote:
Heard that stainless steel sinks cannot sustain heavy garbage disposals
and may make the disposal more noisy. I am considering either a
InSinkErator Evolution Compact which is listed at 20 pounds or a
WasteKing L3300 that is spec at 12.4 pounds. Both are 3/4 HP which is
fine for our needs. I'm wondering if the sink can withstand the 20
pound
InSinkErator weight. Sink is 16 gauge thick. Any experiences on mounting
and noise considerations?

I have a big Kitchen Aid in my SS sink. No problem with weight or
noise. ISE is made by the same parent company and is a good brand also.
No experience with Waste King. Most disposals have easy mount systems
too so installation is not a big deal

Hi,
After 20 years I had to replace ISE one with direct replacement newer SS
one 3/4 HP. Dual SS sink has sound deadening foam spray coated
underneath. I did not have to remove mounting hardware, untwist,
drop old one, after moving wire to the new one, twist and install. Done
in less than an hour. I called ISE customer support in the middle of
night a woman answered right away, when I asked direct replacement
current model giving my model no. of old one she ave ganswers right
away. What a service talking to warm body w/o waiting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:04:33 AM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I have experience with both Insinkerator and WasteKing. The
Insinkerator mid-range and better are quieter. There isn't as
much difference when running and actually processing food as
there is at start-up, especially if the WasteKing is totally
empty. It makes a clang/bang kind of noise when it first
spins up, probably the blades rotating out. It was worst when
it was new and had nothing at all in it. When I first heard it
I was surprised how loud it was. But after using it a bit,
I think some food residue or something helps keep the sound
down, as it gets quieter. I still don't think it's as quiet
as the Insinkerator, but then the Insink I'm comparing is in
a cast iron sink and the WK is in stainless, so it's not
exactly fair either. The difference in noise doesn't bother me,
but then I only use it maybe once every other day. It's
still an excellent deal at half the price of the similar
Insinkerator. WK also has either a long or lifetime in home
service warranty if it craps out and it's made in America.
But if noise is major concern and you're willing
to pay 2X the price, then I'd go with the Insinkerator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2013 4:15 PM, wrote:

But if noise is major concern and you're willing
to pay 2X the price, then I'd go with the Insinkerator.

Do some on line shopping too. I saved a bundle compared to local stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Right, it's got some weight to it. Many sinks already have something
attached, but you can add more.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just want to tell based on my personal experience of using the Garbage Disposals, Just Go with Stainless Steel garbage Disposals as they are highly durable and Long Lasting.

Also Some Disposals Come with really Advanced Features. If you are still confused, I just found the list of Best Garbage Disposals having the Stainless Steel Build Components. Check This Out https://thegarbagedisposal.com/best-...bage-disposal/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2020 11:20 AM, wrote:
I just want to tell based on my personal experience of using the Garbage Disposals, Just Go with Stainless Steel garbage Disposals as they are highly durable and Long Lasting.

Also Some Disposals Come with really Advanced Features. If you are still confused, I just found the list of Best Garbage Disposals having the Stainless Steel Build Components. Check This Out
https://thegarbageto money.com/best=china-made=crap-garbage

Can you recommend one I can put SPAM down the drain? You seem to have a
lot pf personal experience with it.

Stainless Steel Sinks mark UK diy 23 January 18th 09 09:41 PM
Cheap stainless steel sinks PigPOg UK diy 5 March 12th 07 05:50 PM
Stainless Steel Sinks kim14 Home Repair 1 July 3rd 06 04:25 AM
Stainless Steel Sinks Tom O'Connor Home Repair 1 July 2nd 06 05:52 PM
Stainless Steel Sinks kim14 Home Repair 0 July 2nd 06 04:45 PM